Huge thank you!!!!

kkrunde

What a difference experience makes!  Thank you all for the help today.  Up until now I have been printing the patterns, cutting them with scissors, tracing them onto the wood, and then finally cutting them out.  I had read about using tape and glue, but it wasn't until today, after encouragement and advice from you all here that I finally went ahead and did it.

It definitely took some doing, because I don't have the supplies on hand that you all use (I know it is embarrassing to be a creative arts teacher and not have a glue stick LOL).  I finally ended up using packing tape on the wood, with the pattern glued on with permanent spray adhesive, which I had on hand.  I didn't want to use the spray on the actual wood, because I'm not kidding when I say permanent LOL.  

I just finished my first project and I'm happy.  Still no where near as well done as the projects I have seen here, but so much better than when I was tracing the patterns.

Thank you all for the suggestions and thank you to Dick and Clayton for the woods and blades that I have been using!

post-23698-0-98350300-1418513257_thumb.jpg

Kelly if you use a heat gun or a hairdryer and your pattern once you have used spray adhesive it will peel off no problem try it on a scrap piece first Also I was going to suggest something about your ornament Try as the star is the centre of your ornament have it point straight up to the hanger that way Mary and Joseph don't have to stand on a hill

.../Hans

What a difference experience makes!  Thank you all for the help today.  Up until now I have been printing the patterns, cutting them with scissors, tracing them onto the wood, and then finally cutting them out.  I had read about using tape and glue, but it wasn't until today, after encouragement and advice from you all here that I finally went ahead and did it.

It definitely took some doing, because I don't have the supplies on hand that you all use (I know it is embarrassing to be a creative arts teacher and not have a glue stick LOL).  I finally ended up using packing tape on the wood, with the pattern glued on with permanent spray adhesive, which I had on hand.  I didn't want to use the spray on the actual wood, because I'm not kidding when I say permanent LOL.  

I just finished my first project and I'm happy.  Still no where near as well done as the projects I have seen here, but so much better than when I was tracing the patterns.

Thank you all for the suggestions and thank you to Dick and Clayton for the woods and blades that I have been using!

Perfect nice and crisp

Thanks for posting your new ornament. I knew you could do it. continue to cut and to challenge yourself. You are an amazing person. I read your links and you have my admiration big time. I know few people that would give as much as you have, outside of our military service people. I continue to pray for your husband and the battle the both go through, daily. You have become my newest hero. 

Dick 

heppnerguy

I see now all your bottled up ready to go has opened up and pouring out now.I'm going to have to sharpen up my scroll saw blades to have a edge on you.Your excedingly fast on climbing the ladder with your skills here.Finally it all comes together  for you.I too did the carbon paper in the begining,lolI didn't know there were better way then!EMJOY  NOW!

I use simple old fashioned water based gum or paste type glue, here in the UK it's sold in the so called pound shops you get 4 longish tubes of the stuff for £1 UKP, it's in a soft squeeze tube about 6" long with a foam cap and it's simple to cover the pattern or wood with the gum, leave for a few mins to dry and after cutting out the pattern can be removed quite easily. If it has fully dried just wet it gently with a small brush and it will come off very quickly then dry with a paper towel or similar. I have been using this method for many years without problems.

Kelly boy are you getting better and its lovely to see.  I think we all like to see each piece that you cut to see how much you have improved since the last cut.  Its just practice, practice and more practice.  Hope you, Keith and your family have a great Christmas.

Marg

Another option is to cover the wood with clear contact paper, then spray glue the pattern to that.  I then use packing tape to help lubricate the blade, and keep it sharp longer.  Peels right off with no residue whatsoever.  I don't even need to sand the surface afterwards.

Is it a little more expensive?  YES,  but not much and my time is more valuable to me.  Covering the wood with clear contact paper, is something I do with every piece of wood I use.  Amazon sells the clear, self adhesive paper in 18 inch rolls, 24 ft long for under 7 dollars. It also comes in 12 inch rolls for those that use a lot of 12 inch scroll blanks.

I tried using tape first, both packing and blue painters tape,  but both options took me longer to remove the pattern from smaller areas.

Kelly, at the grocery store is " Press N Seal '  by Glad.

You've seen it, for wrapping foods.

Tear off enough to cover your wood and use something to press it down. I use a roller.

then attach your pattern to it.

I like it because you can see thru it to attach your pattern.

That ornament is looking great.