Patterns from books and magazines

frieke

Hello everyone,

I have a question to ask.

I have a lot of books and magazines(crafts) where are many patterns in it for scrolling. The books are not specific for scrolling, but they are for crafts, like for the hollydays, miniature houses and dollhouses( thats a great passion of me to make them).

May I put the patterns here on the forum to share with you? Mostly there are no names on it, it's for the hobby and free to buy.

Who can give me advice?

Greetz

Frieke ;)

Fieke thank you for asking before posting the the patterns. Here is our policy:Copyrights:

Respecting copyrights of other artists is a high priority for us. Please do not offer patterns that are copyrighted, derivative works, licensed or trademarked. Converting copyrighted photos, illustrations, logos, or other artworks into a scroll saw pattern is considered derivative work.

You may only share patterns that you have personally designed. Do not post patterns from other designers, even if credit is given.

I would have to say no to your question. As these patterns are not one that you have made yourself.

Hope this helps

Thanks for asking. Dale's right, though. Even though a name may not be on the pattern, they still are copyrighted by the designer and publishers of the books and magazines. We have a policy for only allowing the pattern designers themselves to post their own patterns. And the patterns posted may not come from other copyrighted or trademarked material. This way we can avoid any legal problems.

I hope this helps. Thanks for checking first. That is much appreciated. :thumbs:

If you have provable permission from the artist, you can certainly use it. If the lawyers come knocking, you should be able to prove that you have permission to use their work. I'd definitely get something in writing from an artist before using their work, though. Even if its just an email. We don't require proof to post here at SSV. But if its recognizable art, I would put some sort of disclaimer such as "Based on original photo by ________. Used by permission." That way folks won't call you out for copyright infringement.

I think some of Christina's Pinup patterns are based on an artist she wrote and got permission from. Perhaps she can chime in on what she has done to protect herself.

if i can say just my two cents even with permission to make a pattern you need to ask the artist to make sure that if it just for your personnal use they might not want it to go public where as some can make a profile off there image. i got permisson from jan brett to use some of her stuff but with discussing this with some other if they was to use the pattern and sell finished project that might be subject to copy right . so far i haven't gotten a responce back from jan brett to find out if that would be ok thats why i haven't used any of hers so be careful and make sure what permission you get what it covers. thats just my two cent better afe that sorry

Thanks Travis and Mule, I have been doing a series of penguins and do have written permission and the artist has stated in the email that she doesn't think I wood make a lot of money from her work.

So far she is right. LOL.

About the disclaimer that is one I hadn't thought of, just written on the back that is from a drawing by------------

Merlin

Thanks for all the answers. I hope I can make a lot of them so I can share my pictures with you all. It might give you ideas.

Yesterday evening i was following the 7th lesson of inkscape, and i also have done all the lessons of gimp, that was great fun!

I'll becom a designer for scrollsaw patterns , but first a lot of practice. I have a little wacom so it's easy to use.

Thanks Travis for those lessons!

Greetz

Frieke :thumbs:

I have used a kids coloring book for patterns,I altered some pictures to use as a pattern for personal use.Not sure if I broke a copyright law??

If you use them only for yourself, you're fine. Its considered fair use if you make one copy for yourself. You only run into trouble if you distribute the pattern, or sell the product you made from that pattern.

There's a really good copyright article in the Scroll Saw Wiki. It covers the basics regarding copyrights. Its a quick read, but very informative.

• 3 weeks later...
my friend in town with a large airbrush studio told me as long as it's differant by 10% or more it's ok .Just changeing the color would be 10%.A purple micky mouse ? I think disney will call you.Lot's of maybe's .Do we have a copywrite lawyer in the club?I'm still in the dark about it. :confused:

That's a urban legend. The artwork has to be significantly different to the point of non-recognition. Otherwise it's considered derivative work and violates the original artist's rights. Disney and NFL logos fall under trademark laws, which are similar to copyright, but much more rigorous. While there isn't any copyright lawyers here (that I know of), we do have a really great article on copyrights you might want to check out. As a designer, it's best to be familiar with them in order to protect yourself from some nasty lawyers. We try very hard to protect our fellow artists here. That is the reason you're only allowed to post patterns you have personally designed from material you have the rights to. Not only is it respectful, but it also protects those involved and the community as a whole. The last thing I'd want is for this wonderful community to be shut down for something as silly as a free pattern. :?