Finishing questions.

Hi..I take a small patch that I'll cut from an old sheet or pillow case,you can use an old tshirt also but it will hold more stain than the other and more will run out and apply it in small amounts, stain is not like paint its more like colored water and it will travel thru most wood very quick,you can wrap a patch around the eraser end of a pencil and tape it to hold it on and apply small amouts that way or use a qtip real sparingly to finish the places where the wood joins,keep in mind that if the stain travels over to the next section that the different color stain will not cover it up because its already soaked into that side and dried.apply your first coat and let it dry around 30 minutes or so then if you want it darker do it again,the next coats won't soak in like the first use it sparingly,don't let any puddles stand and dry after a few minutes wipe them off,you can use paper towels for this just take your time and pay attention.I use minwax oil base in the small cans and I never have any problems.if you have a piece of scrap wood left from what ever your working on test it on that and you'll see how fast it travels thru new wood,I mostly use birch plywood and it goes thru it real quick,if you ck my post Whada think (which I miss spelled)you'll see how I did it with the dashund in 2 tone,hope this helps! :D