Howdy all

wood carver

Howdy all....

I'm a retired printer, turned wood carver, been at this for over 20 years, doing mostly caricatures of people and animals. I've also done some scroll sawing. But what I'm really interested in learning how to do is LATH ART.

There are a few sites on the net about lath art.....but mostly these sites are in to showing off what they have for sale.....I WANT TO FIND OUT 'HOW TO DO IT'.

A number of years ago, WOOD magazine had an article on Lath art which included a couple of patterns. One pattern was a Goose and the other pattern was entitled "Wet Land Visitors". This was a group of geese in a wooded setting.....I made each of those patterns...but that's the last that I've seen for a long time.

So I'm hoping some one on this site, can guide me to some one who offers instructions on how I can do this for my self.....thanks

Hi wood carver,

Welcome to the site. I'm thinking of picking up a little woodcarving this summer, too. Something to keep me busy while watching the kids play in the back yard. It looks like a lot of fun.

Lath art is really cool. I've never attempted it myself, but it sure is on my list of projects to try. I've written several articles on Lath Art in Scroll Saw Goodies that you might find interesting. You can find those here. This article in particular has a nice tutorial. The article also points to another tutorial here that is really good. Hopefully that will give you a nice jumping off point.

If you give it a try, we'd love it if you share your experiences with us. I know there are several people here interested in Lath Art.

Happy Scrolling!

i get a kick out of those character carvings. ive even seen people make them. i wish i had that kind of talent. id end up cutting off my thumb tho. i really like my thumb where it is so i'll leave it to the pros. you should post some of your carvings. id love to see them. welcome to the village. i think youll have a great time here. lots of great poeple. :cool: