🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

difference between DW788 1 & 2

ike

IF you buy a new 788, it is probably built in Taiwan. They are notorious for skimping on grease in the bearings. Watch this 52 minute video.

Also, I just bought a new Taiwan Delta, when I took it apart, I FOUND OUT IT IS THE SAME AS A DEWALT 788 !!!

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt-dw788-type-scroll-saw-parts-c-1009_2631_207564.html

http://www.deltamachinery.com/downloads/manuals/scroll_saws/40-694/40-694%20Scroll%20Saw%20Parts%20List%20Rev%203.pdf

The Delta appears to have come off of the assembly line. Different housing shape, but identical working parts. The Delta is $100+ less expensive.

jerry

Edited by jerry1939

• 5 years later...

Dewalt Type 2 vs Type 1 scrollsaw DW788.

The main difference is how the motor was made and designed. Type 2 or Type 1 refers to the motor type rather than the scrollsaw itself.

Type 2 uses permanent magnets as stator as oppose to Type 1 which uses coils as stator in its motor.

Power Off the scrollsaw. Just put any ferrous metal (eg steel) on the motor case, if it got magnetised/attracted, the motor is Type 2. Due to permanent magnet inside the motor casing. 

Type 2 motors are made in Taiwan.

Type 1 motors are made in Canada.

1 hour ago, Raffy said:

Dewalt Type 2 vs Type 1 scrollsaw DW788.

The main difference is how the motor was made and designed. Type 2 or Type 1 refers to the motor type rather than the scrollsaw itself.

Type 2 uses permanent magnets as stator as oppose to Type 1 which uses coils as stator in its motor.

Power Off the scrollsaw. Just put any ferrous metal (eg steel) on the motor case, if it got magnetised/attracted, the motor is Type 2. Due to permanent magnet inside the motor casing. 

Type 2 motors are made in Taiwan.

Type 1 motors are made in Canada.

I had a type 1 as the motor tag stated. I used to stick used blades to the motor housing.