4'x8' Baltic Birch

jbrowning

Good morning everyone, I was wondering if anyone has bought a full sheet of Baltic Birch plywood for jigsaw puzzles and before they cut that sheet up. have they went ahead and stained one whole side before cutting it down to the sizes you make your jigsaw puzzles? I thought that might be quicker then having to stain (our another type of finish) before you start cutting out your puzzle. What I'm thinking is getting a full sheet 4'x8' or 2'x8' and stain one whole side. Then cut the sheet down to have a stock of boards ready for when I want to start cutting jigsaw puzzles.

And yes I'm stuck inside again with no cutting to be down because it is only going to be in the 20's and I woke up to about 6-8 inches of snow on the ground.

Thanks

Jim

I have purchased 4x8 sheets of baltic birch, I have them cut it in half length and width, which gives me 4 easier to manage pieces. I then cut those pieces into the size needed for my projects has needed.  I still buy the 12" x12" Scroll Saw pack from Woodcraft, for some projects.

-Steven

I've never seen Baltic birch other 5' x 5', not even on-line. Although I've heard appleply is a true Baltic birch made to the more common Imperial size of 4' x 8'

Regarding the staining of a sheet -  when I do real cabinet work e.g., a vanity and I purchase a 4 x 8 sheet of birch or some other hardwood pw I often put the finish on the full size sheet before cutting the panels. Typically I don't stain the cases of a cabinet, but I do apply 3 coats of General Finishes Polyacrylic, a water based top coat.

Jim, for the life in me, I can't understand why you'd want to stain the back of a full sheet of plywood. On any puzzles that I've ever made, I've never finished the backer with anything other than rattle can clear coat. A good product to use on the PW backer, would be a plywood conditioner. You could use it as a clear finish, it goes on by brush and dries fast. Plus, it makes the plywood better for staining if you still want to. Untreated the plywood will go all blotchy and not stain evenly, treated it won't. I'm interested in seeing some of the items your doing this way, it's a different way of doing things.

Len

Good morning everyone, I was wondering if anyone has bought a full sheet of Baltic Birch plywood for jigsaw puzzles and before they cut that sheet up. have they went ahead and stained one whole side before cutting it down to the sizes you make your jigsaw puzzles? I thought that might be quicker then having to stain (our another type of finish) before you start cutting out your puzzle. What I'm thinking is getting a full sheet 4'x8' or 2'x8' and stain one whole side. Then cut the sheet down to have a stock of boards ready for when I want to start cutting jigsaw puzzles.

And yes I'm stuck inside again with no cutting to be down because it is only going to be in the 20's and I woke up to about 6-8 inches of snow on the ground.

Thanks

Jim

Now that's a thought,Not a bad one either! :) :) :D :D ;):cool: