7 brand new DW788 collecting dust

I was going to suggest a nylock nut, but it was already suggested. Another caution to use the correct bolt when replacing it. You certainly don't want a sloppy fit in the bearing. If I remember correctly that part (connecting rod) has a needle bearing in it that rides on the bolt. so the bolt has to be hardened Not stainless. too soft.

thanks for the heads up Rolf .everybody's chime helps

Thanks Charley, when i re grease bearings ,scroll saw or car i hand pack them in the palm of my hand till all the old  grease is out.I love shop talk !

That works great on car bearings with no side seals. I've done it myself.  But It won't work on DeWalt 788 bearings. They are all side sealed. The one on the motor shaft eccentric would be big enough to do this way if it didn't have the side seals, but nothing is going to get inside this bearing if you try to grease it like you would car bearings. You can add grease to the tiny bearings that have the the steel sleeve inserts by removing the sleeve, adding a tiny bit of grease (tiny bearing), and then replacing the sleeve. A big wad of grease in the palm of your hand isn't going to work.

Charley

• 4 months later...

That works great on car bearings with no side seals. I've done it myself.  But It won't work on DeWalt 788 bearings. They are all side sealed. The one on the motor shaft eccentric would be big enough to do this way if it didn't have the side seals, but nothing is going to get inside this bearing if you try to grease it like you would car bearings. You can add grease to the tiny bearings that have the the steel sleeve inserts by removing the sleeve, adding a tiny bit of grease (tiny bearing), and then replacing the sleeve. A big wad of grease in the palm of your hand isn't going to work.

Charley

thanks for the info on the big bearing

"" I wanted to scroll today but the racket coming from a normally quite saw has been driving me bananas "" 

Kevin I don't believe it was the racket from the saw that drove you crazy. That happened years ago.   :lol:    :lol:  :rofl:    :rofl:  You know I am just kidding. Glad you got it fixed and back at work or maybe it's play.

"" I wanted to scroll today but the racket coming from a normally quite saw has been driving me bananas "" 

Kevin I don't believe it was the racket from the saw that drove you crazy. That happened years ago.   :lol:    :lol:  :rofl:    :rofl:  You know I am just kidding. Glad you got it fixed and back at work or maybe it's play.

There is so many pivot points that have a  minuscule here and there on each bearing that results in a knock at the end of the line.

For anyone, like me, who is not very mechanically inclined or brave about opening up the machine, I just came across a youtube video last night of a guy demonstrating how to make this exact fix. I don't recall the URL but a quick search of "Dewalt dw788 should find it.

Ii' s really not that big of a job but with every mover in pain it is