A "Suggestion" From a Newbie

knightyme

Ron, I like what you have done here...Tell us a little about how this is made ...looks a little like fabric over wood...just curious ?...Is it an actual patch mountd to a piece you scrolled ?

Thanks hawkeye and Steve.

Steve, what I've done is taken a 9x12 piece of MDF, which is one of ten I have ripped from a 2'x4' sheet. I sand one side of it, then, using spray adhesive, I apply a high-definition image to the sanded side. I then follow the shape of the patch or badge with my scroll saw. Then, using a special recipe containing multiple types of chemicals, I apply an acrylic-like finish to complete the plaque. It keeps me busy and out of trouble. ;)

Edited to say: the plaque you see in the photo is roughly 10" tall and slightly under 8" in width.

Edited by knightyme

Beautiful work, and a greater heart behind it. Glad to hear your wearing a mask, that is some bad stuff your playing with. Can't help but wonder what that patch would look done in intarsia. 

I'm betting it would look outstanding in intarsia. The latter, though, is a bit our of my league right now. :/

Well, I certainly don't wish to come across as a "smart-aleck" or anything along those lines, so suffice it to say I'd like to share a real-life personal experience with you.

I recently (October) took up scrolling as a rather serious hobby/small business. Just like anything with me, I tend to learn faster through trial and error, with the emphasis leaning a tad heavy in the direction of error.

I am fortunate in that I have a "scrolling mentor" who lives about an hours drive from me. I asked him the other day "how does one determine if they're pushing too much, aside from recovering from a broken blade, far too often?" Rather than try and answer my question, he asked me what blades I was using since he knew my primary material I am cutting (3/4" MDF). I told him I was using a #7 Olson and he suggested a #3 Ultra-Reverse blade from Mike's, The Flying Dutchman.

So, I ordered the blades and got them in. Voila'!! I wish I asked him sooner!! I would have NEVER guessed using a #3 blade, period, due to the thickness of my stock. The cut was so smooth and clean, I did another one and another one.

I'm BRAND NEW at this hobby folks, however, as a way of saying "thank you" to many of you who have already opened up with suggestions and encouragement, I felt compelled to share this information with you.

Back in July, this year, we had a horrific shooting (Baton Rouge, LA, USA) here that left three of our law enforcement professionals dead and two, seriously wounded and still recovering. I said that to say this. Using my new blades which I described above, I made a plaque for one of the wounded Deputies (the other one remains unconscious). This coming Thursday, I am going to his home and gifting him the plaque I made for him, as a surprise.

This is said plaque.

patch.png

Lots of ways to make impressive projects with little scrolling .glued on pictures is one .I'm glad you saw the light to do this as it's very impressive.! Keep your work coming friend !