Blade Problem

Sam777

Please help

I only use my scroll saw a few days a week (only evening and weekends :) )

For the last few times, I have been using #1 FDUR blades. I have this problem with the blades:

After about 5-6 blade feeds, the blade starts to bend backwards at the top (at the point where the upper clamp clamps on the blade).

My saw is EX-16,

Blade is #1 FDUR,

Please see the attached picture

I suspect that I have excessive back forth blade movement which causes misalignment between the top & bottom blades clamps (does this seem a valid reason?).

Here are the pictures:

post-28446-0-99426500-1485918246_thumb.jpg.

Hey Sam, two possible items. One, you are over tightening the thumb screw. Try using a little less pressure when tightening it.

Two, the backup screw has backed into the blade clamp. Make sure it protrudes into the blade opening the same distance as the bottom blade clamp.

Bottom feeder, huh?

Sam, this is a common problem with most scroll saws, it is caused by the blade clamp screw twisting the top of the blade. It is twisted in the direction that you tighten the blade, fortunately for you it is an easy fix. Take the blade clamp screw out of the blade clamp holder, twist the little tip on the end of the screw to make sure it is loose and turning. Then add a tiny drop of oil to the tip of the screw, this will help stop the screw from seizing in the future. After you've serviced this part of the clamp, you now need to pay attention to the opposite side of the clamp. There is a set screw on that side of the clamp that might need adjustment also, sometimes it backs out a bit on it's own. Adjust that screw so that it is just protruding in through the side of the clamp, just enough to allow the clamp screw to tighten up against it. For this screw I like to use a bit of lock-tite, the blue stuff, not the red. If the blade clamp and set screw are set-up properly, you should not have issues like this. Good luck.

Len

Hey Sam, two possible items. One, you are over tightening the thumb screw. Try using a little less pressure when tightening it.

Two, the backup screw has backed into the blade clamp. Make sure it protrudes into the blade opening the same distance as the bottom blade clamp.

Bottom feeder, huh?

YES DAN. I am laughing. I guess you are the master to figure out how someone feeds their blade :)

I don't think I am over tightening the clamp. Actually just barely tight.

I will check the backup set screw and adjust if needed. Do you mean to make the set screw flush with the inside wall of the clamping block?

I never had this problem, but again this is the 1st time I use #1 blades for the whole piece.

thank you 

Sam

Do you mean to make the set screw flush with the inside wall of the clamping block?

thank you 

Sam

The set screw should not be flush.  It should be just "proud" or extending slightly into the gap.The blade is held between that set screw, and the clamp.

Edited by hotshot

Sam, this is a common problem with most scroll saws, it is caused by the blade clamp screw twisting the top of the blade. It is twisted in the direction that you tighten the blade, fortunately for you it is an easy fix. Take the blade clamp screw out of the blade clamp holder, twist the little tip on the end of the screw to make sure it is loose and turning. Then add a tiny drop of oil to the tip of the screw, this will help stop the screw from seizing in the future. After you've serviced this part of the clamp, you now need to pay attention to the opposite side of the clamp. There is a set screw on that side of the clamp that might need adjustment also, sometimes it backs out a bit on it's own. Adjust that screw so that it is just protruding in through the side of the clamp, just enough to allow the clamp screw to tighten up against it. For this screw I like to use a bit of lock-tite, the blue stuff, not the red. If the blade clamp and set screw are set-up properly, you should not have issues like this. Good luck.

Len

Thank you Len,

I will do just that.

I understood your advice on both the clamp little end and the opposite set screw.

Thank you

Sam

First thing I thought of was what Dan mentioned. Make sure the back up screw is where you can see it in the blade holder. Also changing the the tip and back screw is an option. If you don't have them they can be readily ordered from Seyco. Good luck.

Wayne,

Thank you for the advice.

I do have a new clamp and set screw which I ordered from Seyco a few weeks ago.

Thanks again

Sam

Please help

I only use my scroll saw a few days a week (only evening and weekends :) )

For the last few times, I have been using #1 FDUR blades. I have this problem with the blades:

After about 5-6 blade feeds, the blade starts to bend backwards at the top (at the point where the upper clamp clamps on the blade).

My saw is EX-16,

Blade is #1 FDUR,

Please see the attached picture

I suspect that I have excessive back forth blade movement which causes misalignment between the top & bottom blades clamps (does this seem a valid reason?).

Here are the pictures:

attachicon.gif20170131_184907.jpg.

Thank you Len,

I will do just that.

I understood your advice on both the clamp little end and the opposite set screw.

Thank you

Sam

Got it :)

I will go that right now.

Thank you

Wayne,

Thank you for the advice.

I do have a new clamp and set screw which I ordered from Seyco a few weeks ago.

Thanks again

Sam

Any question you have will get answered more ways than one.some one has had your problem and knows just what fixed it for them.were a great club helping each other the best we can.thanks for asking!

Its a bit hard to tell from the photo, but if the bend is to the right or left when looking at the front of the blade, you need to adjust the set screw that holds the blade. This is opposite from the winged screw that you hand tighten or loosen. Mine did the same thing, both top and bottom until I adjusted the set screw to stick out to the middle of the blade holder. The process is explained in the Excalibur manual, or I am sure Ray at Seyco will help you out..... Hope this helps....

Jeff

Its a bit hard to tell from the photo, but if the bend is to the right or left when looking at the front of the blade, you need to adjust the set screw that holds the blade. This is opposite from the winged screw that you hand tighten or loosen. Mine did the same thing, both top and bottom until I adjusted the set screw to stick out to the middle of the blade holder. The process is explained in the Excalibur manual, or I am sure Ray at Seyco will help you out..... Hope this helps....

Jeff

Jeff,

The blade is bent ONLY towards the back and not sideways.

thanks

Sam

Last night I after all the advice and comments, I went back into my garage and checked the clamp and set screw. Removed and checked the rotating tip at the end of the clamp and it was not seized. I put a little oil on it anyway. Adjusted the set screw which was about flush, and made it protrude into the slot about 1/32" or a little more. I put a new #1 FDUR blade and continued to cut. I made sure to BARELY tighten the clamp. Again at the 4th or 5th blade feed, it started to bend back like the picture. I continued to feed and cut until the blade curved so much that it wouldn't go thru the holes. (1/16 dia).

I have not replaced the clamp or the set screw with new ones yet. I think I will do that next.

THIS IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING.

Thank you for listening.

Sam

Sam 

I have been scrolling for about 20 years and still have this problem at times.  I mainly use the 2/0 or 3/0 spiral which is harder to clamp because the blades continue to turn towards the top.  If all the great advice given here does not work for you and you are still having issues you may want to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to straighten the blades as they start to bend.  It will not fix your problem but it will extend the blade life.  A #1 blade is still pretty small and it doesn't take much for them to start to bend. 

Terry 

Terry,

I have been doing this for the last couple of days.

I protruded that set screw a little more toward the center of the clamp. Blade bending has diminished quite a bit but still there is a slight bend in the blade. BUT a lot better than before.

Again, thank you everyone for the great advice.

I still have not replaced the clamp or set screw with new parts.

Sam

This seems to be a common problem. It happened with my Craftsman and now my EX16. Not tightening too much seems to help but eventually they all start to twist. The real issue is the design of the blade hold down. One screw is stationary and the other rotates to tighten against the blade. Something is going to happen. I'm not an engineer or designer but a better idea might be, rather than the screw turning against the blade, the screw turn against a sliding plate that clamps the blade, there by eliminating rotation against the blade. Another option would be to use a sliding plate or pin and a adjustable toggle style clamp similar to the tension clamp on the top of the EX-16 Scroll saw. There may be some other ideas out there.

Just a shot in the dark Sam, but try setting your blade a little further down in the clamps.  I had a similar problem when I got my EX last year.  Having already had a DeWalt, I was familiar with the set screw and thumbscrew issues, but after fiddling around with both, I still got a slight bend.  The conclusion I came to was that I was setting the blade too high up in the top clamp.  When I applied tension, the clamp block would compress down and bend the end of the blade.  At least this was my theory.  I've since made sure to keep the blade down a little lower in the clamp and I haven't had any more bending.

Just a shot in the dark Sam, but try setting your blade a little further down in the clamps. I had a similar problem when I got my EX last year. Having already had a DeWalt, I was familiar with the set screw and thumbscrew issues, but after fiddling around with both, I still got a slight bend. The conclusion I came to was that I was setting the blade too high up in the top clamp. When I applied tension, the clamp block would compress down and bend the end of the blade. At least this was my theory. I've since made sure to keep the blade down a little lower in the clamp and I haven't had any more bending.

Bill,

That could be my problem. I will make sure my blade is just high enough for the screw to grab.

Thank you for the comment