Hegner auxiliary table

stoney

As some Hegner scroll saw owners are able to admit Hegner saws do have a few features that could be improved.   I have found on some projects the table size would be more functional if it was larger especially wider.   For me I have had some occasions where part of my project piece would drop off the side of the table and catch on the side preventing turning the piece until I lifted it up.

I have been going to make an auxiliary table for quite some time but just never got around to it.   Well I finally made one.   I wanted one that was not very thick to allow for the reverse tooth blades to still work properly.   I wanted a nice smooth surface to allow the work piece to slide easily.   I also wanted it securely fastened but also convenient to remove.

Well I started with a 1/8" piece of hardboard commonly referred to as Masonite .   I then attached with contact cement a piece of laminate.    The finished size is 16" X 171/4".   I drilled and tapped  two 1/4-20 attachment holes in my table.   The auxiliary table is secured in place by two  1/4-20 flat head machine screws.   As it turns out one of the hex wrenches that came with my saw is the exact right size for removing or installing the flat head machine screws.

013.JPG

014.JPG

012.JPG

Edited by stoney

Very nice job on the table.  I'm thinking you should send description and pictures to Hegner.  I love their saw, but nothing has changed on it for a long long time.  Maybe they would consider upgrading it a little.  You have two modifications I want to do when I get brave enough to cut/drill on my saw.  The table top and the having the top arm raise higher. 

Well done sir.

Came back to summit a suggestion, I don't know how good of one, but I thought of it a second ago, looking at your table again.  Do you think it would be worth making a hole in the auxiliary table to accept a zero clearance insert?  The metal insert could stay in the original insert hole to give backing for homemade inserts for the auxiliary.   In your case they would have to be made the same thickness as your aux table with the laminate. 

Edited by Scrappile

14 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Very nice job on the table.  I'm thinking you should send description and pictures to Hegner.  I love their saw, but nothing has changed on it for a long long time.  Maybe they would consider upgrading it a little.  You have two modifications I want to do when I get brave enough to cut/drill on my saw.  The table top and the having the top arm raise higher. 

Well done sir.

Came back to summit a suggestion, I don't know how good of one, but I thought of it a second ago, looking at your table again.  Do you think it would be worth making a hole in the auxiliary table to accept a zero clearance insert?  The metal insert could stay in the original insert hole to give backing for homemade inserts for the auxiliary.   In your case they would have to be made the same thickness as your aux table with the laminate. 

Thank you Paul.   I contacted Hans at Advanced Machinery a few years ago with some of my concerns about the Hegner design.   About all I got from Hans was poor excuses and basically a not interested vibe.   I asked if there was a way I could contact Hegner directly.    When I tried the contact everything was in the German language.   I never tried pursuing it any farther.

As far as a zero clearance I thought about it but any more than I need one I just decided not to bother.   I guess I'll just use a business card like I have in the past.    

On 5/6/2017 at 5:13 PM, stoney said:

As some Hegner scroll saw owners are able to admit Hegner saws do have a few features that could be improved.   I have found on some projects the table size would be more functional if it was larger especially wider.   For me I have had some occasions where part of my project piece would drop off the side of the table and catch on the side preventing turning the piece until I lifted it up.

I have been going to make an auxiliary table for quite some time but just never got around to it.   Well I finally made one.   I wanted one that was not very thick to allow for the reverse tooth blades to still work properly.   I wanted a nice smooth surface to allow the work piece to slide easily.   I also wanted it securely fastened but also convenient to remove.

Well I started with a 1/8" piece of hardboard commonly referred to as Masonite .   I then attached with contact cement a piece of laminate.    The finished size is 16" X 171/4".   I drilled and tapped  two 1/4-20 attachment holes in my table.   The auxiliary table is secured in place by two  1/4-20 flat head machine screws.   As it turns out one of the hex wrenches that came with my saw is the exact right size for removing or installing the flat head machine screws.

013.JPG

014.JPG

012.JPG

good job there's always room for improvement