A Little Info For Excalibur/Seyco Saw User

Scrappile

Well there are no Seyco saw users yet, but  should be pretty soon.  Those that watched Steve Good's video on YouTube, reviewing  the new Seyco saw may have noticed the nice knob he had on the upper clamp.  He mentions it in the video, however I don't think he tells where to get one.  The question was asked of him on his forum and he answered:

"Those knobs are made by a gentleman down in Georgia by the name of Marcus Bailey. You can reach him at 404-274-2532. He prefers calls but his email is scrollsawcomfortknob@gmail.com. He may be a little slow answering the email so be patient. They are $15 each and there are two sizes. I prefer the larger knob but the smaller one does give more distance between your fingers and the wood."

I have a knob on my Hegner that looks like it and it is a great knob.  I thought he was using a Hegner which would have made it a very expensive knob, being that you have to buy the Hegner one with a clamp.   Anyway, just thought some Ex owners may be interested.  I don't know if he makes them for other saws. But he very well might.

Edited by Scrappile

Yea, I noticed that and at first wondered if perhaps it was standard equipment on the SEYCO.  I recall a few years ago, a member of our scroll saw club had a machinist friend of his make a couple for guys with Dewalt saws.  I didn't get any, but thought it looked like a nice upgrade.  Frankly, since then, I've come to believe that a knob like that would probably encourage many users to overtighten their clamp screws and strip out the blade chucks.  I can see it being a big help for folks that have arthritis or other problems with their hands though.

4 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

Yea, I noticed that and at first wondered if perhaps it was standard equipment on the SEYCO.  I recall a few years ago, a member of our scroll saw club had a machinist friend of his make a couple for guys with Dewalt saws.  I didn't get any, but thought it looked like a nice upgrade.  Frankly, since then, I've come to believe that a knob like that would probably encourage many users to overtighten their clamp screws and strip out the blade chucks.  I can see it being a big help for folks that have arthritis or other problems with their hands though.

I second that about people would be stripping out the clamp.. Steve also posted a thing awhile back about how he had trouble with one of the clamps holding his blade.. only to find that it had been tightened enough to bend the clamp open a little wider and you could clearly see in the video where the gap space where the blade fits in was much wider than the one on the other clamp.. You shouldn't have to tighten the screws that tight.. if you need it that tight you have a different problem going on like oily blades etc.. When you start having blade slippage.. you should clean up the clamps etc rather than reef down on the thumb screw.. JMO..

I did notice that screw in the review of the saw and thought it was a nice screw.. that said though.. maybe I am oddball of the group that like those round screws.. I thought I might like the round one better so I bought some for my DeWalt.. and i hated the round ones.. I like the standard one that it came with much better.. Just personal preference I guess.. 

Kevin

Referencing over tightening lower screw on my EX 16. I'm Guilty! Thumb screw and thread on right side became stripped from over tightening (my bad) Called Ray at Seyco to get a new lower mount. It left me high and dry until it arrived. I decided to get a little creative and swapped the hex screw and knob so it was on the left side. Used some Loctite on the hex screw on the right side. I had to make some adjustments on the motor to square the blade and centered the gap. It works great and I actually prefer the knob setup. I can now release the tension with my right hand and loosen the blade with my left hand! It seems to work faster now. I don't seem to over tighten the blade now since I am right had dominate. I also have a spare lower mount if I get too strong again.

I have always tried to take care with the clamps on the DeWalt I use to have, and the Excalibur I now have.  I take the screws out about once a month.  Clean the screws and the threads in the clamp, I use a pipe cleaner and some DA to clean the clamp threads and the inside of the slot in the clamps.  Then I put a little "Anti-seize" on the screws before screwing them back in.  So far so good.  One of the great things about the Hegner, no aluminum clamps.  I wish the other saw makers would spend a couple cents more and use steal clamps.  Maybe there is another reason they don't.  Something in the making/machining process?

I would not add these knobs, I don't think, because I get along just fine with the ones that came on the Ex.  However, others may really like it.

I, on the other hand, contacted Marcus and got a set of knobs and I'm very pleased with them.  I actually only used the large one on the bottom of the saw and it is exactly what I needed.  Before I put the know on, after many hours of scrolling fretwork, My fingers would become sore of tightening and loosing the screw. But now, It doesn't hurt anymore.  I don't tighten it more but it is more of the comfort and lack of pain that I really like.

By the way, it was a great pleasure working with Markus and received my knobs in 3 days!  Great service!

I love that style of knob, but would rather not have something that connects over the top of something else.  That said, I'm glad this is an option for those that prefer this option.

My solution, the QuickClamp for the Hegner has the same thread size, however, the removable tips are just barely too big, so I carefully put the tip in a Dremel and grid a bit off of the diameter for a perfect fit.  If someone want to try this, you probably want to remove the rubber gasket before putting it in the drill because if it get's hot, it is toast.

I've included a picture of the Hegner clamp in my EX

-----Randy

HegnerClamp.jpg

13 minutes ago, hotshot said:

I love that style of knob, but would rather not have something that connects over the top of something else.  That said, I'm glad this is an option for those that prefer this option.

My solution, the QuickClamp for the Hegner has the same thread size, however, the removable tips are just barely too big, so I carefully put the tip in a Dremel and grid a bit off of the diameter for a perfect fit.  If someone want to try this, you probably want to remove the rubber gasket before putting it in the drill because if it get's hot, it is toast.

I've included a picture of the Hegner clamp in my EX

-----Randy

HegnerClamp.jpg

When I first saw the video by Steve Good I thought that is what he did.  The problem is it makes it a very expensive knob, twice+ what one that Steve actually used and to my knowledge no adjustments required.  I have the Hegner knob on my Hegner, and would not be without it.  Worth every penny, but it includes the clamp, hence, the cost.  And it is steel on steel.  I just say, steel on aluminum, doable, but be aware and be careful. 

6 hours ago, poupster2 said:

I, on the other hand, contacted Marcus and got a set of knobs and I'm very pleased with them.  I actually only used the large one on the bottom of the saw and it is exactly what I needed.  Before I put the know on, after many hours of scrolling fretwork, My fingers would become sore of tightening and loosing the screw. But now, It doesn't hurt anymore.  I don't tighten it more but it is more of the comfort and lack of pain that I really like.

By the way, it was a great pleasure working with Markus and received my knobs in 3 days!  Great service!

I'm wondering, Chriatian, does the Marcus clamps have a the screw with the removable/replaceable tips?

Advance actually sells the Knob without the clamp for $24, but even so, they are still a bit more expensive.   I'm impressed this other solution is $15.

But like I said, it's good to have options, and for me personally, I would rather not have something that fits over the original knob.

-----Randy

Edited by hotshot

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, Scrappile said:

I'm wondering, Chriatian, does the Marcus clamps have a the screw with the removable/replaceable tips?

Scrappile, if you mean a set screw, yes it does have a set screw.  You jam the knob on your existing screw and with an Allen key, you tighten the set screw so it doesn't come flying off in the middle of a cut.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, hotshot said:

Advance actually sells the Knob without the clamp for $24, but even so, they are still a bit more expensive.   I'm impressed this other solution is $15.

But like I said, it's good to have options, and for me personally, I would rather not have something that fits over the original knob.

-----Randy

You are right Randy, Options are great.  If I ever decide to sell my Dewalt, I'm just keeping the knobs and the byer will never know!