Saw Sizes??

kmmcrafts

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Ha, just struck me Kevin, the question why do you really need more than one saw?  Don't really need an answer, but cost wise there is a much larger difference in price between owning more than one saw then there is between 16" versa 20"+ (well in theory if you are buying new saws).   I'm just being a wize guy.  I am a more than one saw person, whether I need it or not.  Runs in my family, my wife has 4 sewing machines!!... don't ask...

I don't see why a average hobbyist would need more then one saw.. I however do this full time for a living for the past 2.5 years..  Had I thought back in the day when I got my DeWalt that I would be doing more than the average hobbyist I would have opted for a better high end saw.. I've rebuilt ( new bearings and sleeves etc ) my DeWalt 2 times now and it's ready for the third time.. I'm at a point I need a "New" saw... ( have picked up some used and worn saws too ie 30 year old Hawk ).. and quit wasting production time fixing these old saws..with band-aides.. I would keep one of my current saws and sell one off for a new saw.. I have a 20" saw now.. I don't need to fork out over a grand for a saw that a smaller lower cost saw would do the job just fine.. But.. the smaller sized saws aren't really in demand obviously so companies have dropped the smaller sized saws..  Just thinking of how.. back in the day.. Hawk and many of the other companies used to offer a lower priced smaller saw.. and wishing they still did.. a single speed hegner isn't of any use to me as I use the variable speed quite a lot.. this leaves me stuck forking out a lot of cash for a saw that is really just overkill for my needs.. 

I brought this topic up to sort of see.. how many really do use the full throat capacity of the saws they own and how often that might be.. and not just the type that say well I don't "Need" a 20 inch saw but if I have the money I'll buy it just in case..I find a use later on for it.. That is ok too.. not bashing any saw sizes, brands or owners..  just seeing how many really do use the full capacity of their saws..    

I have been scrolling way longer than you so I will say I need the full size of my saws for what I mentioned with scrolling mirrors, shelves and other projects. I have more than one saw because of the deals I got on them. I have never replaced anything, oiled anything on my RBI saw except the front blade holder which wore out.  I would highly highly highly recommend an RBI saw over any other saw on the market. I am a bottom feeder which will also have alot to do with saw choice so take that in your consideration. But to your point put me down for 26" saw and need every inch of it. 

Just another thought. full capacity can mean alot more than just throat size too. 

I'm a member of jt's "club". I too, have many more years experience scrolling than you, & can assure you that I use every inch of my 26" Hawk. I researched the saw, & studied its ups & downs before I traded in my 220. I became well acquainted with, & still am, the Hawk team before I spent the money difference in saws. And I wore them out w/questions because I'd already wore out one Hawk & knew it inside out. The sizeable projects I do on mine make the project so much easier to cut in comparison to an 18" or 20" saw, and I get the project done in half the time. And less handling of fragile pieces, too. imo. 

I scroll as a hobby, & a money maker, too. This was another reason I wanted a bigger saw. 

The smaller saws, after a year or so, become boat anchors in the beginning. Admit it. And yes, the price range does have a tendency to widen one's eyes. That's the number one reason we encourage newbies to start small & work up. Number two reason is, it would amaze you at how many folks can't read an owners manual, & have tall expectations of "this machine that followed them home from the store, now what syndrome." If you decide scrolling is beyond your capabilities, why spend $1500 for a saw you have absolutely no use for except to collect dust? 

Like jt said, the bigger saws are created for the serious scroller. No offense, but seein' how you've said you do this for a living, it would appear to me that a bigger saw would be in your best interest. A bigger saw is money in the bank.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

I agree with JT  and Scrolsaw703. If you have decided that this hobby is really for you then a big saw is in your future. Most of us say "Oh I will never make anything that big". I want to be limited by my skills Not my tools. One of my first projects was Gingerbread for a shed that I built it was 24" across. All I had was an inherited !6 inch Crapsman saw. Nasty thing when it came to blade changes. It really made my project a challenge. My wife bought me a new Delta SS350 with super clamps. Loved the saw and decided this was a hobby for me as I was selling ornaments like crazy, all really small stuff. Saw stroke was too aggressive. So the following year I decided to bite the bullet and bought the Hawk G4 26. (2005). I have never regretted that decision.  

One thing to consider with a large saw. You do have a 26" throat but do you have a notch in your belly for when you swing the piece around?:roll: Some of my contortions are quite comical. 

By the way my ornament sales the first Christmas with the Hawk almost paid for it. and it has paid for 90% of the machines in my shop. Very large  to 4" tall 1/16 thick.

DSCN1406.JPG

Delicate angel.JPG

8 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I'm a member of jt's "club". I too, have many more years experience scrolling than you, & can assure you that I use every inch of my 26" Hawk. I researched the saw, & studied its ups & downs before I traded in my 220. I became well acquainted with, & still am, the Hawk team before I spent the money difference in saws. And I wore them out w/questions because I'd already wore out one Hawk & knew it inside out. The sizeable projects I do on mine make the project so much easier to cut in comparison to an 18" or 20" saw, and I get the project done in half the time. And less handling of fragile pieces, too. imo. 

I scroll as a hobby, & a money maker, too. This was another reason I wanted a bigger saw. 

The smaller saws, after a year or so, become boat anchors in the beginning. Admit it. And yes, the price range does have a tendency to widen one's eyes. That's the number one reason we encourage newbies to start small & work up. Number two reason is, it would amaze you at how many folks can't read an owners manual, & have tall expectations of "this machine that followed them home from the store, now what syndrome." If you decide scrolling is beyond your capabilities, why spend $1500 for a saw you have absolutely no use for except to collect dust? 

Like jt said, the bigger saws are created for the serious scroller. No offense, but seein' how you've said you do this for a living, it would appear to me that a bigger saw would be in your best interest. A bigger saw is money in the bank.

I am assuming when you say the small saws end up as boat anchors.. you're referring to entree level saws? because I think a Hawk 216 is as well built as a 220 or 226.. or for that matter a 14" Hegner is as well built as a 18" or 22".. I am not talking about entree level saws that one would go to the box stores and purchase.. I've been there done that..    

yes, i am talking about entry level saws. And any of the Hawk saws are as well built as you can buy, imo. The biggest thing that takes the life of a saw, regardless of color, is care & maintenance. They are like anything else mechanical, my friend.

You can read here all day long, if you care to, about the faults of DeWalts, Hawks, Excalibers, on & on. The closest I've been to a DeWalt is a friend of mine. In five years of scrolling, he has replaced his DeWalt 5 times. And the only time he spends scrollin' is when his cows are calving. About 3 months a year. That's my opinion of DeWalt. 

My 220 Hawk was 19 years old when I bought it, & was extremely clean. But after two years of hard use, it began showing it's age, & needing repairs. After putting more than I paid for it in repairs, between Hawk & I, we decided it was time for them to look it over. We took it to Bushton, & after their assessment, we decided it's career was over, & time to move on. They gave me a fair price on trade in on my BM-26. 

So, as you can see, my point was entry level saws, but, in the end, age matters, too. So my advice would be if you're lookin' at a used saw, get the serial number & model number, age & motor type, get online or on the phone to the manufacturer first. Ask questions before you spend your money. That's how I got acquainted with Hawk. You won't regret the time spent, if this is what you do for a living.

21 hours ago, Rolf said:

I agree with JT  and Scrolsaw703. If you have decided that this hobby is really for you then a big saw is in your future. Most of us say "Oh I will never make anything that big". I want to be limited by my skills Not my tools. One of my first projects was Gingerbread for a shed that I built it was 24" across. All I had was an inherited !6 inch Crapsman saw. Nasty thing when it came to blade changes. It really made my project a challenge. My wife bought me a new Delta SS350 with super clamps. Loved the saw and decided this was a hobby for me as I was selling ornaments like crazy, all really small stuff. Saw stroke was too aggressive. So the following year I decided to bite the bullet and bought the Hawk G4 26. (2005). I have never regretted that decision.  

One thing to consider with a large saw. You do have a 26" throat but do you have a notch in your belly for when you swing the piece around?:roll: Some of my contortions are quite comical. 

By the way my ornament sales the first Christmas with the Hawk almost paid for it. and it has paid for 90% of the machines in my shop. Very large  to 4" tall 1/16 thick.

DSCN1406.JPG

Delicate angel.JPG

Very nice work!!!