Sue Mey Cross on Coin

hotshot

This is the my first coin I've cut on the Hawk BM.  The Pattern was purchased from Sue Mey.  I was curious is the Hawk could do it, but it cuts this type of thing pretty well.

The coin was a once U.S. bronze one dollar, that I flattened to .025" and is about 2" tall.

SueMeyCross.thumb.jpg.a42c8fba391017a30855c6f48eb55e16.jpg

Edited by hotshot

20 minutes ago, hotshot said:

This is the my first coin I've cut on the Hawk BM.  The Pattern was purchased from Sue Mey.  I was curious is the Hawk could do it, but it cuts this type of thing pretty well.

The coin was a once dollar bronze, that I flattened to .025" and is about 2" tall.

SueMeyCross.thumb.jpg.a42c8fba391017a30855c6f48eb55e16.jpg

Very nice touch you have,nothing easy about this one!

That is supper awesome!! 

Do you use a zero clearance table for these? I have mixed feeling on the Hawks slot cutout in the table.. on one hand I like it as it lets the blade move for easier bottom feeding.. but on the other hand I feel it's a problem with doing some fragile fretwork too.. I can't imagine doing this type of thing without having some sort of zero clearance..

Anyway.. nice work as always

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

That is supper awesome!! 

Do you use a zero clearance table for these? I have mixed feeling on the Hawks slot cutout in the table.. on one hand I like it as it lets the blade move for easier bottom feeding.. but on the other hand I feel it's a problem with doing some fragile fretwork too.. I can't imagine doing this type of thing without having some sort of zero clearance..

Anyway.. nice work as always

Kevin, I should have had my credit card in place, but I didn't.  Even on the EX which does not have the slot, I usually have the zero clearance card in place.  The danger is not the long slot, but the big hole where the blade is (which is the same on any saw).  Without support, if the blade "catches", it can bend thin metal right down into the hole . . . . which stinks.

I was so excited to cut on a saw with very low blade travel, I forgot the card, until the end where I was sweating out the final thin remaining pieces.  I lucked out.

That is really a pretty cross and of coarse your fine cutting..  You certainly are the master of coin..

I also have a question, it you do not mind.  I am wondering, if you are going to flatten the coin to where it does not have any of the coin markings remaining, i.e., it in not recognizable as coin, why not just use like some bronze sheet?  Are coins softer because of mix metals used to make the bronze for them or something like that? 

On 8/4/2017 at 9:29 AM, Scrappile said:

That is really a pretty cross and of coarse your fine cutting..  You certainly are the master of coin..

I also have a question, it you do not mind.  I am wondering, if you are going to flatten the coin to where it does not have any of the coin markings remaining, i.e., it in not recognizable as coin, why not just use like some bronze sheet?  Are coins softer because of mix metals used to make the bronze for them or something like that? 

I could use bronze sheet, and I may do that for somethings going forward.  If I sell a coin that I've flattened, I give a brief explainaton letting them know the piece was a "coin."  I think that adds some novelty.  When I flatten the copper clad coins, you can still see the copper on the edges, so it is identifiable that way.

I do prefer to go unflattened if the pattern will allow that.