Animal Puzzles Finish

I've been caught by that animal puzzle bug like many of you. I've been dipping them in Danish oil as a finish but I'm not really happy with the results. I cut them in poplar and the finish gets too dark for my liking and kind of drab looking. I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that mineral oil was being used. Does that keep the poplar a little lighter? And is it the regular mineral oil you find at Walmart? Any help would be much appreciated.

Ray F

Hi Ray, 

Welcome to Animal Puzzle Anonymous... we feel for you...  

Yes, food grade mineral oil is what I use.  I buy it from Amazon by the gallon and I get 350-400 puzzles out of a gallon.  

I dip the entire finished puzzle in, shake off the excess and then place them on a home made drying rack for up to 4 days to air dry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNI1JI0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Iggy

I forgot to answer your question... mineral oil does not make them darker, but it does bring out the grain and natural color in the poplar.  Here are ones I just cut and have drying...

Every time I go to Lowes/Home Depot for wood I look for varying light and dark pieces.  Some animals look better in a darker tone.

IMG_20170808_154648.jpg

7 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

I forgot to answer your question... mineral oil does not make them darker, but it does bring out the grain and natural color in the poplar.  Here are ones I just cut and have drying...

Every time I go to Lowes/Home Depot for wood I look for varying light and dark pieces.  Some animals look better in a darker tone.

IMG_20170808_154648.jpg

I've so many stains never used,I;m working on straightening out my shop now that i can stand.I've 25" of machines i can't use from the clutter from day one here from the move.I like the look of your mineral oil ones thanks for showing.That's one i don't have is mineral oil But lots of gallons of blo NEW $2.00 A GALLON mismarked at lowes i bought all years ago.