Boxes!

Linkshouse

We have an Autumn Fair in November, here in Westray, and last year boxes seemed to go down well so I've been busy churning out boxes!

59b0dadad35da_IMG_1258(1).thumb.jpg.89f8240f58820622abea5c5e29033ef9.jpg

I made a jig to make mitre box sides quite quick and easy letting me knock out a load of box blanks quite quickly (I know that bit has nothing to do with Scroll Saws).

Here are some scroll sawed with the embellishments that will finish them off.

IMG_1257.thumb.jpg.b21bd6827370d39b877eb089c081041f.jpg

2 hours ago, Linkshouse said:

We have an Autumn Fair in November, here in Westray, and last year boxes seemed to go down well so I've been busy churning out boxes!

59b0dadad35da_IMG_1258(1).thumb.jpg.89f8240f58820622abea5c5e29033ef9.jpg

I made a jig to make mitre box sides quite quick and easy letting me knock out a load of box blanks quite quickly (I know that bit has nothing to do with Scroll Saws).

Here are some scroll sawed with the embellishments that will finish them off.

IMG_1257.thumb.jpg.b21bd6827370d39b877eb089c081041f.jpg

Here you are disabled and turn out fantastic work i can only think about doing! Your very gifted and blessed!

18 hours ago, Gordster said:

very nice...you have quite a collection going so far.The love you one should be a good seller

Yes, I imagine so. It is always interesting to see what does and doesn't sell well and it is often not what one would imagine. Last year I did a few with ribbons (made from wood) and similar sort of things to the one with the dog rose e.g.

IMG_0555.thumb.jpg.aa1822778d13e8205d5dd785d99d8e1c.jpg

I was really quite proud of them and thought they were my best efforts. While people picked them up and made nice comments, they were actually the last to sell.  

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Nice boxes.  I'm curious about your jig though.  Can you explain a bit more?

Thanks,

Rob

I cut a load of box sides to length using a cross cut sled and stop on my table saw and then I use my router to chamfer the ends to 45 degrees.

The jig works with my router and router fence and basically just holds thin narrows tock square and flat -

IMG_1281.thumb.jpg.9269cc158b89683c71723a1fb39cffe9.jpg

This is a plan view showing the two slides that hold the stock against the block that holds them square to the fence. I can handle pieces up to 3" wide which is wider than I will ever do. Plus wider than this and one probably wouldn't need a jig.

You can see on the I also have a couple of toggle clamps mounted on the main block and use these to hold the stock down while it is run past the 45 degree bevel router bit. I adjust the router height (depth) so that I just get a full 45 degree chamfer on the end of the piece. Once this is set up I can machine as many pieces as I like quite quickly.

IMG_1280.thumb.jpg.ad00714e507d3922479054f5926b2007.jpg

IMG_1282.thumb.jpg.186570ab38995c8b2462e355f9173cef.jpg

The guides are cut from 1/2" plywood and the whole lot is mounted on 1/4" MDF.

Hope that helps.

Phill

1 hour ago, dgman said:

Great looking boxes and  great jig! I have cut a lot of box miter sides on a table saw but have never thought to chamfer with a router bit. I will have to give it a try.

Ha ha, I've never cut mitre sides on the table saw. At the time I made these I was using my home made table saw so the blade angle was not adjustable.

I'm making small boxes so the sides are only 3-4mm thick and between 25mm and 40 mm wide, I don't know how they would work out on the table saw. Now I have a "proper" table saw I may need to give it a go.

Phill