Finishing with BLO

Sam777

Drying time for BLO is typically measured in days.  Some folks will say to let it dry for up to 10 days before use, 4-5 is more typical, depending on conditions.  It isn't intended to be used as a final finish, because it really doesn't offer much when compared to other finishing products.  It does darken the wood somewhat, which will help accentuate the grain, especially on darker colored woods like walnut or cherry.  However, once dry it's very dull looking and provides little to no practical protection from scratches, abrasions, household chemicals, heat or moisture.  It's easy to apply and to keep the wood looking fresh, it needs to be periodically re-applied.  However building up too much BLO on the wood will lead to curing problems and perhaps even a gummy residue that attracts dust & dirt like a magnet.

I like BLO and use it as a colorant, but almost always topcoat with something else. 

13 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

Drying time for BLO is typically measured in days.  Some folks will say to let it dry for up to 10 days before use, 4-5 is more typical, depending on conditions.  It isn't intended to be used as a final finish, because it really doesn't offer much when compared to other finishing products.  It does darken the wood somewhat, which will help accentuate the grain, especially on darker colored woods like walnut or cherry.  However, once dry it's very dull looking and provides little to no practical protection from scratches, abrasions, household chemicals, heat or moisture.  It's easy to apply and to keep the wood looking fresh, it needs to be periodically re-applied.  However building up too much BLO on the wood will lead to curing problems and perhaps even a gummy residue that attracts dust & dirt like a magnet.

I like BLO and use it as a colorant, but almost always topcoat with something else. 

Thank you for the detailed reply. Now for sure I will not use it as a finish.

I appreciate the prompt response.

Sam

1 hour ago, Roberta Moreton said:

When using BLO, use light coats and wipe off aftwe about 10 minutes.  It absorbs into the wood, if you leave that top layer there, it will get gummy. This is why I don't use it for fretwork. Use Danish oil, mineral oil, lemon oil, or a spray finish with light coats.

Thank you for the reply

Sam

As noted by everyone it's slow to dry, which is exactly why many people mix it with mineral spirits, usually 50/50. It speeds the drying. I wipe or brush it on and wipe off the excess almost immediately, and I keep wiping any spots that seem to be weeping oil out of the grain.  I usually wait about 6-7  days, but have waited longer. It certainly doesn't require any top coat, especially if you like the oiled (Danish modern) look. But BLO doesn't offer much in the way of protection by itself. I don't use BLO on scroll projects, but often on furniture and cabinetry. Experiment with it on off-cuts before to get the feel.

5 hours ago, oldhudson said:

As noted by everyone it's slow to dry, which is exactly why many people mix it with mineral spirits, usually 50/50. It speeds the drying. I wipe or brush it on and wipe off the excess almost immediately, and I keep wiping any spots that seem to be weeping oil out of the grain.  I usually wait about 6-7  days, but have waited longer. It certainly doesn't require any top coat, especially if you like the oiled (Danish modern) look. But BLO doesn't offer much in the way of protection by itself. I don't use BLO on scroll projects, but often on furniture and cabinetry. Experiment with it on off-cuts before to get the feel.

Thank you for the advice

Sam

21 hours ago, Sam777 said:

Thank you Dick.

Don't think I didn't notice that you were gone for a while.

Welcome back

Sam

Thank you Sam,  I made a rather large move in June. We moved from our home in Heppner, Oregon to Casa Grande, Arizona. That move was made after having lived in Heppner for 13 years. Because of the distance of our move, we decided to sell almost our entire house of furniture, except for 2 bedroom sets. It all happened really  quickly so I was away from my scrolling and with out an operating computer for about a month before our moving date. I had to sell a lot of my wood and down size my shop of several of my larger tools because it was so far and we did not wish to make the trip twice. After we got to Arizona  we were on the search for replacement furniture for our entire new home. This took about an additional month to accomplish. They we spent the month of August back in Heppner visiting our family there, along with going to Portland and attending a baby shower for one of our granddaughters that was having her first child and she had flown into Portland from North Carolina for the shower. Following the shower we went to Salem where we watched the wonderful and exciting full solar eclipse from there it  was back to  Heppner for one more week before the long drive back to Arizona. We were back about a week and then we were off to  Mexico where we stayed for 5 days at a wonderful resort. So now you can understand a little about why I have not spent much time  here in The Village this summer.

I can't believe you missed me here, I am such a small part of this huge world wide family. Thank you for thinking about me.  Nice to hear someone cares enough to miss an old grumpy guy. You made me feel good inside

Dick

heppnerguy 

There is no moss growing under Heppnerguy's feet.  He is a man on the move.  He is certainly not an old grumpy guy!  Doesn't have a grumpy bone in his body.  I think we should rename him "Traveling-guy".  There is a song that fits this isn't there.

Be assured, Dick, you are missed when you are not here.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:12 PM, heppnerguy said:

aww........I have thought of changing my name buy no one would know who I was if I did....besides I have a lot of cards printed with that name on it. It will take  me awhile to get Heppner out of my blood.. and thanks Paul for the nice comments..

Dick

heppnerguy

Welcome back .You definitely had your hands full these past months !