Best Place To Buy Clock Parts

smitty0312

Yeah, what type and size? I sell a lot of clocks.. I've done a lot of research on clocks over the last couple of years.. and quite frankly.. I am discontinuing any inserts other than those little ones with the Seiko watch motor any of those bigger inserts are made in China.. and almost all of the 50+ customers have messaged me with complaints of them either not keeping time or just plain stopped working... even the so called USA made clocks are the same China motor but assembled in the USA.. same dam clock with a wide variety of pricing..  anything other than the little motors.. I am redesigning my patterns to make them accept just the motor and hands.. This is my experience with clocks.. Oh.. and from my experience on the little 1-7/16" inserts.. most suppliers are selling the same clock.. with a variety of different price points.. I've order a handful from most every supplier I could find.. took one from each supplier apart to compare the parts.. BTW. I've also contacted each supplier before ordering to try to find out the manufacture or brand clock they are selling... no-one will say.. they say they aren't allowed to discuss that.. per their contract with the manufacturer..  so I just bought some clocks from every supplier online that I could find.. All seemed to be the same clock with different pricing points..

There is one supplier of them that JT mention to me awhile back.. but they only sell one or two sizes of clocks.. that aren't much bigger than the little ones and they get a really hefty price for them too.. 

18 minutes ago, JOE_M said:

Hobby Lobby sells clock kits and hands but only go looking if you've got one nearby. If you try to find them on their website you'll have to wade through 500+ actual clocks because apparently the biggest hobby they cater to is "kitsch collecting"

Yeah, those made in China clocks.. they are as useful as the package they come in.... for the clock motors.. I buy USA made ones.. they can be bought at Clockparts.com USA made ones have a red colored switch on the back to turn them on / off with.. rest are China made ones.. that don't keep time.. I haven't found any other USA made supplier of these other than clockparts.com..

If you're stuck on a bigger insert you can buy a USA ( no thread ) movement and take them apart to changed the China motor for the USA motor..  

Clock Movements

I buy my little inserts.. 1-7/16 from woodworkingparts.com 

woodworkingparts   

Edited by kmmcrafts

I only made one clock since scrolling.  Don't remember where I ordered the motor and hands from.  Paid for 1 and they sent 2.  Both were junk.  Vowed to never again make a clock.  In retrospect, I should have made my own design for the area where the clock is.  Decided that I'm smarter now.

If any of you think that you want to make a clock, go to Walmart and buy your clock for a lot less money.  Use the motor & hands and throw the case in the junk.  When that one dies, repeat the process.

Clock Image.JPG

3 hours ago, jerry1939 said:

I only made one clock since scrolling.  Don't remember where I ordered the motor and hands from.  Paid for 1 and they sent 2.  Both were junk.  Vowed to never again make a clock.  In retrospect, I should have made my own design for the area where the clock is.  Decided that I'm smarter now.

If any of you think that you want to make a clock, go to Walmart and buy your clock for a lot less money.  Use the motor & hands and throw the case in the junk.  When that one dies, repeat the process.

Clock Image.JPG

That's a clock and a half Jerry !!!!

2 hours ago, smitty0312 said:

Sorry guys....I mis-spoke...I am looking for the best place to buy clock parts.....I will be buying a clock face/motor/hands.....

I'd go with clockparts.com and choose the USA made motors.. I believe you get to pick a pair of hands with each motor you purchase.. the face itself will be extra though.. but not much money

I don't sell any of my pieces, however here is a thought for those of you that sell clocks.  After reading all the above posts, it's obvious that some of your customers will have a reason to point a finger at you when the clock they paid for quits.

Consider this;  If someone comes to you and wants a clock, explain some of the horror stories shared in this posting.

Next tell the customer, "You furnish the motor, hands & dial.  I will saw the piece".  That would keep the monkey off of your back.

29 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

I don't sell any of my pieces, however here is a thought for those of you that sell clocks.  After reading all the above posts, it's obvious that some of your customers will have a reason to point a finger at you when the clock they paid for quits.

Consider this;  If someone comes to you and wants a clock, explain some of the horror stories shared in this posting.

Next tell the customer, "You furnish the motor, hands & dial.  I will saw the piece".  That would keep the monkey off of your back.

Yeah, not to sure about that one... many customers I have message me after getting their clock asking what size battery it takes.. I cannot imagine them trying to put the clock motor on or purchasing a motor for 1/4" wood when the product is 1/2" etc..  For what it's worth.. I do include a care sheet with battery size wood care etc in my boxes I ship out.. let alone.. it's also listed in my listings what battery it takes.. I've found that many people read about as far as the first couple sentences and that's it.. sometimes I don't think they read any of the description.. they just look at the picture.. 

I'd much rather just fork out the $$ to buy a quality clock motor.. those $$ are transferred to the cost of the clock anyway.. so it's not really my pocket it comes from..

I probably have made more clocks than most of you here and have to say I have been doing this for over 25 years and have never had a clock insert come back to me even though I always tell my customers they can send them back to me and I will replace free of charge. I have a couple customers try to tell me that I sold them one and they bring it back and I can tell right away it was not one of mine. I may offer a free replacement if a return customer or offer a sale for a reasonable price. I have not bought many new inserts because I at one time bought so much bulk that I am still working off them. I do know that just about all vendors get their inserts from the same sources so all is a matter of price. There are some top of the line inserts but they are expensive and this all came up in that thread that I mentioned.

What I would highly suggest you people do if you are selling clocks for shows and for profit, is to buy them and stock them and run them for length of time to test them. Yes you will go through more batteries but a small expense as opposed to the trouble of replacing.  I have bought from many places and in another thread I mentioned that KLOCKIT and Wildwood Design have changed the clocks they sell and they are more hit and miss and are tougher to get replaced because of different ownership. Good luck. 

The idea of selling a clock without a motor or insert is not a good one in my opinion. People do not want to have to buy a clock insert that have no idea what size or what or where to get. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

11 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I probably have made more clocks than most of you here and have to say I have been doing this for over 25 years and have never had a clock insert come back to me even though I always tell my customers they can send them back to me and I will replace free of charge. I have a couple customers try to tell me that I sold them one and they bring it back and I can tell right away it was not one of mine. I may offer a free replacement if a return customer or offer a sale for a reasonable price. I have not bought many new inserts because I at one time bought so much bulk that I am still working off them. I do know that just about all vendors get their inserts from the same sources so all is a matter of price. There are some top of the line inserts but they are expensive and this all came up in that thread that I mentioned.

What I would highly suggest you people do if you are selling clocks for shows and for profit, is to buy them and stock them and run them for length of time to test them. Yes you will go through more batteries but a small expense as opposed to the trouble of replacing.  I have bought from many places and in another thread I mentioned that KLOCKIT and Wildwood Design have changed the clocks they sell and they are more hit and miss and are tougher to get replaced because of different ownership. Good luck. 

The idea of selling a clock without a motor or insert is not a good one in my opinion. People do not want to have to buy a clock insert that have no idea what size or what or where to get. 

While you've made more clocks and have sold more than I have over the years.. it sounds like to me you haven't had to purchase any of the "NEW" junk made in China clocks yet.. Allot has changed with these clock inserts in just the last 3-6 years.. ( I've been selling for about 5-6 years ).. I've actually been building my own clocks to replace the junk ones I've sold to customers that have complained.. Yeah, I replace them for free so I don't get a bad rap from the junk the suppliers are now offering.. 

I've done the whole thing about buying and pre running the clock for 3-4 weeks.. many of them come back to me anyway because they just stopped working.. while most complaints have been running either fast or slow many come back as completely stopped so whats the point.. they are simply junk.. About 40 -50% come back.. not very good odds.. They are warrantied by my supplier for only 3-6 months ( cant remember now but I have to have receipt ) and the manufacture has a 3 year on these.. but again proof of purchase and dealing with them is just as much hassle.. I still wonder if I didn't just get a bad batch.. but since I order a few hundred at a time.. I'll have a few around here for a little while :)  

The manufacture ( now that I know who that is ) will custom make clocks per your request.. my next order will be inserts made with the USA made motor.. I've already talked with them about this.. :)  

Some people see a glass as half full & others see it as half empty.  Re; My last post.  Go back and read the last sentence.  The thought was that the customer bring, or ship, the clock parts to you and upon receiving said clock, you build the clock.  NOT sell the wood for them to install the clock.

Just an honest misinterpretation.

Kevin I have bought some and have tried to buy others but they do not make the ones I want to buy any more. We had this discussion in that last thread I mentioned. You told me you bought USA inserts and they still were bad. I mentioned clockparts.com as a dealer but again you told me you tried them. I do not know how to repost that thread so I can not refer back to this same conversation. I use to buy many of my inserts from Wildwood Designs but they too have changed ownership and do not live up to their warrenties and I am not a fan of them any more. If you found a supplier that is offering better quality motors and better insert, I believe it would help us all if you tell us who it is. We can send more business their way. I am a huge account and am sure others can be too. 

I have actually bought inserts direct from China and have great success with them. Went through Alibaba. 

l_45mm%20facet.jpg

Use to buy these and many more from a UK distributer but shipping got too much. Buy them from China now. These are dead on accurate.  Bought a ton of Skeleton clock motors from the UK vendor too. 

Bought many inserts from these people also and they use to make to order for me. But again shipping became outrages. 

www.clockparts.ca/index.php?cPath=7

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

12 hours ago, jerry1939 said:

Some people see a glass as half full & others see it as half empty.  Re; My last post.  Go back and read the last sentence.  The thought was that the customer bring, or ship, the clock parts to you and upon receiving said clock, you build the clock.  NOT sell the wood for them to install the clock.

Just an honest misinterpretation.

Again not for me and would be too prohibitive in my opinion but if it works for someone then go for it. 

7 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Kevin I have bought some and have tried to buy others but they do not make the ones I want to buy any more. We had this discussion in that last thread I mentioned. You told me you bought USA inserts and they still were bad. I mentioned clockparts.com as a dealer but again you told me you tried them. I do not know how to repost that thread so I can not refer back to this same conversation. I use to buy many of my inserts from Wildwood Designs but they too have changed ownership and do not live up to their warrenties and I am not a fan of them any more. If you found a supplier that is offering better quality motors and better insert, I believe it would help us all if you tell us who it is. We can send more business their way. I am a huge account and am sure others can be too. 

I have actually bought inserts direct from China and have great success with them. Went through Alibaba. 

l_45mm%20facet.jpg

Use to buy these and many more from a UK distributer but shipping got too much. Buy them from China now. These are dead on accurate.  Bought a ton of Skeleton clock motors from the UK vendor too. 

Bought many inserts from these people also and they use to make to order for me. But again shipping became outrages. 

www.clockparts.ca/index.php?cPath=7

These are the best clocks I've found..

USA Made Clock Movements

As for larger inserts.. That same company will make custom order clocks.. but.. they have a minimum order amount.. and it might be pricey.. I haven't ordered anything yet.. still sorting through the ones I have.. I've been building my own USA made clock inserts buy using the insert I have stocked up on.. and swapping out the movement in the insert to the better USA made movement... 

As for the little 1-7/16 inserts.. I've honestly never had one come back.. and also.. I've bought these from many different suppliers.. and my findings are.. they are all the same clock.. just different pricing points from different suppliers.. There used to be what they called a premium and standard ones.. premium was a metal back cover and case with glass lens.. I don't find two different options anymore.. well re phase that.. some places might still offer it.. but I've purchased and it's the same clock.. pretty much all of them are plastic casings but I do think they are mineral glass lens and all now seem to have the stainless back cover.. so as far as I know.. all the little clocks are the same.. just choose the lowest priced place to order, LOL

I don't have any experience with any other clocks other than the 1-7/16 and the 3" inserts.. so I don't know anything about other sized clocks.. those are the only two sizes I've used..   

Can not get that link to open. Have another link or just place the name of the company and i will google. Thanks  1-7/16" inserts are not all the same. Sloans still sell Seiko inserts and they are some of the better ones. The ones I shown are not that size, they are a bit larger and I usually buy in 2 different sizes. I like to use 2" inserts also. 

Just a note on the 2-3/4" inserts and larger made in China. and also ones made in the USA. I have seen this many many times, the clocks are basically kits that are interchanged with different faces. You can many times unscrew the plastic bezel. I say this because I have had clocks come to me where the hands are not seated just right. They may touch the glass or bent too much and scrape the facing or too loose and skip time. The motors work fine but it is the hands that either stop it or fall off. Can easily be fixed by taking the top off. Have seen this on both USA and China models. That is why I suggest a trial period before installing. 

Here is the old thread that has some info in it

www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/23097-large-clock-insert-fit-ups/

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN