Porcelain Tile Scrolling ?

danny

I just happen to have that blade, and quite a few saws at my disposal to test the fit with, so I ran this blade across my collection of saws and found this:  

788/EX:  If you pull back in the set screw, it will fit, just barely.  I would probably just grind the ends to be a bit more narrow.

Hawk BM:  It will easily fit in the Hawk BM bottom clamp, but the top clamp slot is too narrow.  I have two bottom clamps for my Hawk and think I could use one of the two bottom clamps for the top (it will fit) , but I'm not sure how that would work in practice.

On the Hegner, the regular clamps and the quick clamps will not hold that blade.  Hegner has a specialty clamp for larger blades, but I don't have those clamps so I don't know it if would handle 1/16 or not.  However, Advanced does have a more narrow blade (.032), but is probably over $50 after shipping.  https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/diamond-scroll-saw-blades

There is a variation of this blade called a slitting blade, that narrows in the middle for a more narrow kerf.  I ordered the slitting blade but they sent the regular.

SSWC had an article in an old mag that shows how to make a drip tank, and as luck would have it, that article is online.  If you want to pursue this, if you promise to make the drip tank and try this medium out, I'll send you a blade free of charge.

Driptank.pdf

1/16 is the same diameter used for the Gryphon saws, so you can readily find these blades on ebay, for example:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-7-SLITTING-REPLACEMENT-BLADE-FOR-GRYPHON-OMNI-2-WIRE-SAW-3-PACK-/301891499203?epid=1460390545&hash=item464a22b4c3:g:3MMAAOSwh-1W3dke. Note that these are 7", so you would have to trim the ends, but they are a lot cheaper.  You might also be able to grind the ends to be more narrow, and have an easier time getting them in the saws.

IMG_0526.thumb.JPG.ed6cb09597e91289242f110035f32cad.JPG

IMG_0527.thumb.JPG.8d6e6af63ee3ae1a4ffd544812304a4a.JPG

IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.abe2e19290cbc28ff8f1076dc2b61f1a.JPG

Edited by hotshot

6 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Never heard of one of these before, I had to google what it was... now I want one.. just what I need.. another saw :)

What does the top clamp look like on your model of Hawk?  Does it match your bottom clamp by chance?  If so, your saw might be able to use these cheaper blades without any modifications (other than shortening them)

Edited by hotshot

9 hours ago, hotshot said:

What does the top clamp look like on your model of Hawk?  Does it match your bottom clamp by chance?  If so, your saw might be able to use these cheaper blades without any modifications (other than shortening them)

Nope, top clamp is different.. I doubt 1/16 would fit.. if it did it'd be a tight fit..