Hello from NJ

ModShapes

I'm Alex.  My background is in 3d printing, 3d modeling, CAD/CAM, and animation.  I am a software engineer, and I really enjoy this as a way to relax.  I'm relatively new at scroll sawing.  I started with a budget based saw from HF and just purchased a Porter Cable 18 Inch Scroll Saw, after a small struggle to get the handle on toolless blade changes (which were 1000 time better than the HF way) and about 11 spiral blades breaking - on the twelfth blade,  I found my groove with this and I finished cutting my first portrait with it.  Now I am in the process of choosing how to finish that and attach it to a backing surface, and I have so many questions about how to do this correctly.  I'm constantly learning something new with this and I find that thrilling.

Hello everyone!  I look forward to learning from and one day contributing something to the benefit of this group.

Welcome to the gang. Lots of good info here. Looks like you dove in with both feet into cutting and your background should be very helpful in designing patterns. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

In another life, I used to hang out at that airport down the street a good amount and actually got my A&P license there.

Hello from Arizona. Glad you chose us to join up with. if you go the the forum you will see where to post questions. Everyone is helpful and friendly. only a few bite. :D  I was in HF yesterday and looked at their saw. I can see why it is not the saw to purchase as I think it would discourage a lot of people. However. you sound like you have a handle on things now. The important things in scrolling is the wood, blades and saw. If you have any questions about any of these.....ask away. Hope you log on often as that is how you become familiar with the regulars and quickly understand that you are more than welcome here

Dick

heppnerguy

On 10/11/2017 at 8:39 AM, ModShapes said:

I'm Alex.  My background is in 3d printing, 3d modeling, CAD/CAM, and animation.  I am a software engineer, and I really enjoy this as a way to relax.  I'm relatively new at scroll sawing.  I started with a budget based saw from HF and just purchased a Porter Cable 18 Inch Scroll Saw, after a small struggle to get the handle on toolless blade changes (which were 1000 time better than the HF way) and about 11 spiral blades breaking - on the twelfth blade,  I found my groove with this and I finished cutting my first portrait with it.  Now I am in the process of choosing how to finish that and attach it to a backing surface, and I have so many questions about how to do this correctly.  I'm constantly learning something new with this and I find that thrilling.

Hello everyone!  I look forward to learning from and one day contributing something to the benefit of this group.

Welcome.With all your knowledge your going to be a real asset here for us.I'm staying tuned to your posts to learn from you .Welcome again friend!