Arizona puzzle and box

JOE_M

There is nothing special about the jigsaw puzzle, it's just a 100 piece of the San Xavier mission. But I feel real good about the box.

I needed the box to be big enough to hold the puzzle. I had a piece of 8/4 (1.75" thick) spanish cedar 5-3/16 wide, with that as a lid width I got just at 5" wide for the box itself and the only way the puzzle would fit would be if I could use the entire 1.75" for the box walls. I cut the inside of the walls, glued a 1/4" bottom on it, and ran it through the sander until it would just fit in the scroll saw without the arm banging on top of it so I could cut the outer profile.

Dewalt says the max depth is 2". My box (not counting lid) is a skosh over 1-15/16" thick and the puzzle pieces fit perfectly. Thankfully cedar cuts like butter - I can't imagine doing that thickness in a hardwood or exotic.

Arizona puzzle.jpg

On 10/14/2017 at 1:57 PM, JOE_M said:

There is nothing special about the jigsaw puzzle, it's just a 100 piece of the San Xavier mission. But I feel real good about the box.

I needed the box to be big enough to hold the puzzle. I had a piece of 8/4 (1.75" thick) spanish cedar 5-3/16 wide, with that as a lid width I got just at 5" wide for the box itself and the only way the puzzle would fit would be if I could use the entire 1.75" for the box walls. I cut the inside of the walls, glued a 1/4" bottom on it, and ran it through the sander until it would just fit in the scroll saw without the arm banging on top of it so I could cut the outer profile.

Dewalt says the max depth is 2". My box (not counting lid) is a skosh over 1-15/16" thick and the puzzle pieces fit perfectly. Thankfully cedar cuts like butter - I can't imagine doing that thickness in a hardwood or exotic.

Arizona puzzle.jpg

Beautiful work here !