Hegner Multimax 22-V Variable Review.

Dave Monk

Ray, from the pictures I would say it has every thing.  The front tension lever,  table hole that takes inserts,  (you can buy plastic inserts from Advanced Machinery or make them.  I make mine).  I would want to know if it has all the available clamps.  They come with two each of  .5 and .7  clamps.  They are $25 for a  package of two.  The picture shows it with a Quickclamp on the top,  that is a very necessary accessory ($34)  (you can tell by the larger knob on it).  It will work with all size blades, but you still need the original clamps for the bottom.  Does it have the tool for the bottom clamps?  Called a Tuffwrench, $16.95.   The only thing that may need changing on that old of one would be the rubber air pump to pump air for blowing away the saw dust.  Not really important to you, you are going to hook your Fein Dust Extractor to it.  I do not use my blower anymore.   Looks to be in very good shape.  You have to decide if you want the stand.  It is $100 new they have one for it for an extra $50.  Up to you what you are willing to pay and it is only worth what you are willing to pay.  I have seen similar on Craigslist, in the NW for $500 to $1000.  Keep in mind the $100 delivery fee, which is not unreasonable, I think.

Just my opinion, which is not worth much and given at no charge.   Good luck, Be real nice if you could try one first.  But if not keep in mind, bottom feed only.  Compared to other saws, it has a small table. The upper arm does not raise as high as most saws.  All workable, with time to get use to and there mods that can improve these short comings if you want to do them.  If you like to rock and roll, it is not for you it runs smoooooth.  Least mind does.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:09 PM, hotshot said:

Found Stoneys' modification explanation on our sister site:  https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw/tools-and-blades/50062-a-few-modifications-to-a-hegner

I also heard of someone getting a standard thumbscrew to work on the bottom,  If the QuickClamp would work down there, seems like top feeding would be practical with this mod.

I would think it would be possible with the modification except it would be pretty hard to pull the the top arm down as tight as the spring is. Maybe if you could find a very light spring.  

How do you see those, Dave.  Mine was one of their Demo's and I only got it for $100 off.  I had to beg for the free shipping special they were have at the time, they only wanted to give it for new machines.  But, alas, I wore them down... :lol:  I am not sad, I love my used demo Hegner that I almost paid full new price for!:oops:  Not the best deal I ever made.....

9 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

How do you see those, Dave.  Mine was one of their Demo's and I only got it for $100 off.  I had to beg for the free shipping special they were have at the time, they omwanted to give it for new machines.  But, alas, I wore them down... :lol:  I am not sad, I love my used demo Hegner that I almost paid full new price for!:oops:  Not the best deal I ever made.....

When I called and ordered mine I asked if they had any used machines and she told me they had two. I think they only offered a 60 warranty on them. I think I could have saved three or four hundred on a used one once I bought all the extra stuff. The funny thing about the one I got was that it has a 2016 sticker on it. Once I have it a few years that won't make much difference. 

Sounds like Advanced Machinery isn't dealing on used machines like they were when I bought mine.   They sold me a 2007 Hegner Multimax 22v in March of 2008 for a grand.   The package contained the foot pedal, 3 sets of clamps, the quick clamp, some blades, the stand, and 5 yr. warranty.   The only evidence of use was a few shallow circular scratches on the table.

Maybe the reason they aren't as anxious to deal now is business has been real good.   Just a thought.   

Edited by stoney

2 hours ago, tonylumps said:

I hate to say this .But it seems that all of these Hegners that are for sale are being sold by family members whose original owners passed away There is also one on Phila. CL 22v for sale owner passed away and Husband is selling it.Got me wandering.

The problem with he Hegner business model is that they almost never wear out.  So as new Hegners enter the market, the old Hegner, which are almost identical, are also still in the market, albeit at a much lower price.  Since they don't make significant upgrades to their designs, there isn't a whole lot of advantage of buying a new Hegner to replace the almost identical old one, so Hegner owners just hang on to the one they already own.

Each of our Hegners may very well have a useful life that goes deep into the next generation.  It's kind of neat in a way to thing that investment will outlast us.  I assume eventually the motors will fail, so when that happens, there will be owners not willing to fork out the money for a new motor, then those saws will die for good, but motor failures are so rare,  who knows how long that will be.  It is possible that the Hegner company will fail at some point, but who knows, they might introduce their first top feeding model 200 years from now.

-----Randy

Edited by hotshot

7 hours ago, tonylumps said:

I hate to say this .But it seems that all of these Hegners that are for sale are being sold by family members whose original owners passed away There is also one on Phila. CL 22v for sale owner passed away and Husband is selling it.Got me wandering.

Hopefully my  new saw won't kill me.