Sakura 21 " Scrollmate Scroll Saw

fordamir

I am looking at one of these saws I know it is about 27 years old but the pics on craigslist make it look brand new. I like the idea of induction motor and no reostat.  What I have foud out through my search on the internet make it appear that the cut is about as aggressive as a Dewalt not much vibration and trouble free. Does anyone have any experience or advice

I have one, had it for about 5-6 years. Bought it used, hardly used, like new condition. Bottom feeder, does have some aggressiveness in the blade movement. In the slower speeds little to no vibration, higher speeds have some. Came with a stand (high for standing). Its simple, parts available thru PS Woods. I added the quick change upper blade and had to replace the belt. I'm satisfied! 

thank you for the information.  With the original blade holder can you still use the saw OK. I could  see it cold be a slow go with blade change for inside cuts, but is it something one can deal with for a while.? I am familiar with the quick change but will have to hold off for a while to purchase it.

I know what you are talking about, yes its a 20 plus something year old saw.  Sakura  was bought out by PS Wood Machine in 1990. But this saw is built tough like an other upper end well made saw.  When I buy tool I usually buy vintage. repair and tweak here and there and bingo I have the equivalent of the PS Wood 21" scroller for $799.00.  The national average selling price for this saw in a survey I did is $237.00.  PS Wood said they selling for about a $100.00 they will buy a good one, refurb it and sell it for about $500.00.  I am getting this saw for $150.00.  Have seen it and it is prestene unlike the vintage 1982 Delta band saw for resawing I bought which looked kinda rough paint wise, but had good bones ran as smooth and quiet like a dream.  New tires and blade a little elbo grease and I now have a resawer for my chestnut, cherry, red oak and walnut. All resawed with a $100.00 saw thats sells ready to go on ebay for $450.00 to $650.00.  I just wanted to share with you my thinking on buying vintage parts available quality used equipment I really have been doing it with all my woodworking equipment  and saved a fortune. 

I like vintage machinery. Before I tried scrolling I was kind of serious about the P S wood's saw. The you tube video caught my interest. The price bothered me not knowing anything about saw prices. After lurking on SSV for awhile I read about the Hawk and found two on craig's list. However, thinking they look sorta like a Heagner with the belt drive I surely would consider it and would not fear buying a used one depending on price.

What do I know! :oops:

Well I bit the dust and bought the Sakura saw.  Paid $100.00 for it.  Going to need new belts and I am going to put a new diaphram.  Saws great no  problems.  I figure for less than $15.00 plus shipping it will be up to par.  The guy told me a story about the saw I found interesting and you might also.  Come to find out he worked in a woodworking retail store and bought this saw from them while working there, said he got it for the the employ discount new.  Asked why did you buy it he told me he thought scroll saws were really cool what you could make. He had 3 young children at the time and really did not have time to use it.  He said he always keep it thinking he could get time to use it, but never has and it is time to get rid of it. Ending up telling me that the saw may have a total of 5-6 total hours of use on it.

Thank you so very much for your thoughts. I agree I have a vintage Hawk 14" ok saw .  This saw after using it is great.  I think just because it doesn't have the current bells and whistles  (no reostat, no induction motor)  its a sleeper and a good one cane be found at a more than reasonable price.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:25 AM, fordamir said:

thank you for the information.  With the original blade holder can you still use the saw OK. I could  see it cold be a slow go with blade change for inside cuts, but is it something one can deal with for a while.? I am familiar with the quick change but will have to hold off for a while to purchase it.

I see you took the bait and purchased. You'll find that interior cuts will be slow without the quick change, however they are still reasonable, unless you are in production mode. The quick change was a bit pricey but a good investment for me. There is little to go wrong so about the only thing that needs to be purchased is a belt and some blades. Best wishes for you and your Sakura! 

Thanks for imput it is much appreciated.  Am going to order the parts today.  Haven't had much time to play with it with kids coming by and all on Sunday/  Today is when I am going to introduce the baby it to its new surroundings and give it a bit of elbow grease and tweaking. The first thing I am going to do after a good cleaning is put some bearing grease on the on the rear barrels of the two arms to help prevent excessive wear. The barrels look brand new no wear paint still looks like it just came from production.  I really want to thank you guys for the imput and encouragement.

Thanks for the reply  Yea Scrapple doesn"t seem like many around here. Wedo scroll left two replys on his Sakura he has owned for  5-6 years and they were very very helpful to calm my jitters before the leap and also info about blade change using the old blade change system.

I have been in contact with Betty at PS Wood and she has been very helpful.  To sumerise her imput. These saws have taken a back seat to them since they have been very busy with their Timber Wolf Band saw blades which I use.  She is a very active scroller at 67 yrs old. and a wonderful person to speak with.  Any way I ask her if she had any owners of the saw comment much about them.  Told me they have tons of comment on file , but were too busy with Timber Wolf to get the on the internet.  I suggested she not be the last to lay down the old or the first to accept the new.  The internet seem to be the way to go  in this day and age. Suggested she a hire a part timer and and put them to work posting these replys to let the scrollers out there what a wonderful product they have available. 

Parts wise they don't sell many. Ask her if they replace many arms due to wear or bent.  She said only one bent to a guy that knocked his saw over when moving a very large piece of wood.  Belts  last for years , no bearing problems and motors  rarely maybe a a capactor once in a while . This saw is so simple she says any one can repair them if its ever needed.

I plan to write a review of the saw with pros and cons after my personal shake down period and before and after I get their quick release blade changing mechanism. Trust me as long as I have been looking for just the right one of these I will call it like it is.  There is really no reason for the folks our age to pay big bucks for a saw when they can get a good reliable saw with support from mfgr. and reasonable parts at a price we can afford to leave that extra money to have a tree cut down and made into some scrolling wood.  Dave

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2017 at 3:33 AM, fordamir said:

I know what you are talking about, yes its a 20 plus something year old saw.  Sakura  was bought out by PS Wood Machine in 1990. But this saw is built tough like an other upper end well made saw.  When I buy tool I usually buy vintage. repair and tweak here and there and bingo I have the equivalent of the PS Wood 21" scroller for $799.00.  The national average selling price for this saw in a survey I did is $237.00.  PS Wood said they selling for about a $100.00 they will buy a good one, refurb it and sell it for about $500.00.  I am getting this saw for $150.00.  Have seen it and it is prestene unlike the vintage 1982 Delta band saw for resawing I bought which looked kinda rough paint wise, but had good bones ran as smooth and quiet like a dream.  New tires and blade a little elbo grease and I now have a resawer for my chestnut, cherry, red oak and walnut. All resawed with a $100.00 saw thats sells ready to go on ebay for $450.00 to $650.00.  I just wanted to share with you my thinking on buying vintage parts available quality used equipment I really have been doing it with all my woodworking equipment  and saved a fortune. 

I totally agree. There is just something about breathing new life into an old piece of equipment. You know, back before it all came from China.

Ray

I'm looking at an ST-14-3 on C/L right now. It's located about an hours drive south of me and the fellow is asking $55. I wrote and told him I wanted it if it was in running/operating condition. I'm waiting now for an answer. I don't really need this saw but I WANT it. As I said above, I like older stuff and enjoy getting it all up and running once again. And for $55 bucks, heck, it costs that much to take the wife out for dinner anymore. I too will give this saw a going over and report back what I find. I won't be spending any money on upgrades until I see if it's a keeper. But, if I find that it is, another $100 dollars or so is not much to pay for a good running saw. These things come with a foot pedal and stand so there is not much else to buy. It should be fun.

Ray

17 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

I bought a 15" Jet saw that was made in 1988,  I paid $15 for it and have used it a lot for three years now.  Single speed induction motor.  I do not do fretwork so I do not need quick change blade holders.  I have upgraded the blade clamps with clamps from Hegner.

Thanks Jim. I need to have my thinking validated every once in a while.

Ray