Custom inlay

Jim Finn

2 hours ago, Gordster said:

Very beautiful work Jim

Question..with table titled to the left,do you make cuts clockwise or anti clockwise?

Clockwise or counterclockwise gets too confusing.  I keep it simple.  With table tilted up on the right, and the wood to be inlaid into the base wood, on the bottom,  I just keep the image or lettering to the right of the blade.  Sounds simple huh?   lol  well it is, once you get used to it.

Yes 1/16" hole is large, but because I am using #5 blades tilted at a 2.2 degrees the hole must be larger than the blade.  I drill this 1/16" hole with a mini drill press and a dremel type rotary tool at 6.6 degrees. I drill  the hole just inside the pattern and it then comes out of the upper wood just outside the lower wood , in the waste part. 

This hole  does occasionally show up a little, so before gluing the inlay in place, I sand off this hole and after glueing it in place and sanding it I fill that slight gap, and any others with a mixture of sanding powder (not sawdust, it is way too coarse) and white glue and squeege it into the voids using a credit or gift card.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:59 AM, Sam777 said:

Awesome work Jim,

How thick is the wood you used here?

Thank you for sharing

Sam

Thank you for all the kind comments;

All my boxes and inlays are made using 3/8" wood.  I resaw this myself from rough boards.  Any thickness will work but then all the angles change so I just always use 3/8" wood.   

I use 3/8" because almost all my boxes  are made using cedar and cedar is a weak wood.  Planing cedar thinner than 3/8" often tears the wood to pieces so I stick to 3/8" even when using walnut . 

I have a Hegner dedicated to doing inlay so I keep that saw  angle set for inlay.  I have another saw for straight through cuts, on other items, like toy making.

Edited by Jim Finn

5 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

Thank you for all the kind comments;

All my boxes and inlays are made using 3/8" wood.  I resaw this myself from rough boards.  Any thickness will work but then all the angles change so I just always use 3/8" wood.   

I use 3/8" because almost all my boxes  are made using cedar and cedar is a weak wood.  Planing cedar thinner than 3/8" often tears the wood to pieces so I stick to 3/8" even when using walnut . 

I have a Hegner dedicated to doing inlay so I keep that saw  angle set for inlay.  I have another saw for straight through cuts, on other items, like toy making.

Always a joy to see your work Jim !