Frustrating beginnings

Edward Henry

1 hour ago, Edward Henry said:

My not be a bother comment was actually ment to be that I want help badly but try not to bother local people for hands on help, hence my Bandsaw has been in the same state for months waiting for the tables to be leveled (tried for hours and failed) fence put on, wood Lathe needing assembled etc.

Edward, I'm sort of confused by your statement regarding the leveling of the "tables" on your bandsaw. There should only be one table and a pin that goes into a hole on the side of the single table that puts both sides in alignment. Can you be more explicit on what it is you are having trouble with? I'M SORRY ABOUT WHAT I JUST WROTE, I WENT BACK AND LOOKED AT THE PICTURE OF YOUR BANDSAW. I've never seen one with two table before. I take it the one on the right is a fixed table so the leveling must be done with the primary table. Or, as an after thought, you might try to just remove the one on the left until you can get familiar with the saw.  Also, as a suggestion, you might check around your area to see if any of the schools have a shop class. If you can find a high school or jr. college near you that offers a wood shop class, you can probably get some help there. Please keep asking questions here though as it keeps the rest of us thinking and that exercises the "grey matter" that tends to stagnate.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

Ed,

Welcome.

For your first project I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you've done so far - you will change a few things in future projects as your experience grows - but heck - if you whipped off perfect work your first time out you'd get bored of the scrollsaw pretty quickly!!

A thought for you .....

This time of year is ornament time - and Christmas ornaments are a great way to go through basic learning curve(s) quickly and thoroughly without a lot of pain.  They are generally small projects and relatively quick to do - they'll give you lots to learn and practice on in cutting skills and experimenting with different blades - your family, neighbours and friends will love them, and if you screw up the occasional ornament - so what! - you will not have lost a lot.

So my thought would be to set aside your wolf project for a short while - try out a few ornaments for a week or two - and see where they take you.  Your wolf will look a lot easier, and you'll have gained a lot more confidence, once you have a few cutting hours behind you. I'm thinking you will find lots of free ornament patterns in the pattern gallery of this forum.

And - if in the end - it your wolf project doesn't work out exactly the way you had hoped then do not worry - you will be in very excellent company - there is not a single one of us who has not been there done that ...... heck ..... I save mine for an annual campfire .... invite the kids next door ..... we have hot dogs ...... but if I am any judge your wolf project will never be destined for the designer firewood pile ......

Good luck!

Jay

7 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Edward, I'm sort of confused by your statement regarding the leveling of the "tables" on your bandsaw. There should only be one table and a pin that goes into a hole on the side of the single table that puts both sides in alignment. Can you be more explicit on what it is you are having trouble with? I'M SORRY ABOUT WHAT I JUST WROTE, I WENT BACK AND LOOKED AT THE PICTURE OF YOUR BANDSAW. I've never seen one with two table before. I take it the one on the right is a fixed table so the leveling must be done with the primary table. Or, as an after thought, you might try to just remove the one on the left until you can get familiar with the saw.  Also, as a suggestion, you might check around your area to see if any of the schools have a shop class. If you can find a high school or jr. college near you that offers a wood shop class, you can probably get some help there. Please keep asking questions here though as it keeps the rest of us thinking and that exercises the "grey matter" that tends to stagnate.

Ray

Leveling the left small table section to the main table on right is my issue.

CBA1B675-34FB-4074-BA46-67DBC31A724F.jpeg

On 11/14/2017 at 7:26 PM, Edward Henry said:

Hi, I am VERY new to wood working and sadly chose a way above my level first project, though I am determined to try and finish it. My main issue is that I do not cut along the lines and make all those sharp turns I see in youtube videos as I am terrified I will snap the blade or damage the project so I been hogging out the large sections then barely touching the edge of the blade I scrape away the excess to the line as smoothly as I can as a result it takes me forever to do anything. my first project is a wolf image that I think I am over 15 hours on that I am sure the pros can finish in a few hours. and I am not 1/3 finished yet. I am hoping to find local scrollers to come walk me through this and past my fear but until I do are there any suggestions?

I already learned that I should not have cut out the largest sections first but cut the smaller details in middle and work my way out. as a result of cutting large first it is more difficult to do the small details but hey! I learned it all by myself LOL. I can not recall what size blades I swap between a flat 0/2?? and a spiral but my spiral is too large for the finer details of the fur so already messed up alot.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

A picture like this I'd use a spiral blade.Keep it very tight and go very slow till you get used to the way it cuts But your doing great.I to was afraid to go over the line but it really doesn't matter unless it's the eyes.In fact do the eyes first because they are what makes or breaks a portrait.Hold the wood down firmly that way you control where the blade goes.I too again used to break blades in the corners .?reason being is the blade binds up and over heats it's self .heat is the worst thing for blades.Its hard for me to explain what to do in the corners but i cut to the corner ,then push the back side of the bladeinto the wood as it won't cut that way and make the turn from that point on or come to the corner and go into it a few time try to widen a spot so you can turn the blade with out heating it up.In no time flat you'll be a top dog here seeing your first project is way better than mine .Your doing great,take it easy,don't worry about staying dead on the line and you be fine.Keep coming back .Something new to learn everyday here Welcome friend!

If I lived close to it would be a pleasure to help out. I am sure if you checked around at a woodworking store near you somebody will help. I also belong to a woodworking club that has a shop. I host 4 hours a week when I am there as well as other host or members are always willing to give advice. I had to fix two of their bandsaws yesterday. Most equipment you will be able to find a YouTube video on assembly or how to use it. Last but least thank you for your service and good luck with you endeavors.

Edited by Woodmaster1

14 hours ago, Edward Henry said:

CBA1B675-34FB-4074-BA46-67DBC31A724F.jpeg

Edward, the right side table has no adjustments for leveling. Only truing according to the blade. Set it square to the blade and then adjust the left table to it. Or, take the darned thing off. I have a Delta bandsaw and I have no table to the left and don't miss it. You can't let that single issue stop you from using a great tool. Also, stop worrying about "bothering" folks. Most of us feel very good about helping our fellow man. I wish we weren't so far apart, I'd love to help you.

Ray

I aligned the main table to the blade. But the left table when I get it matched to the main is fine until I tighten it down then I get a slight lip or catch when I slide a piece of wood back and forth over the two sections. I was under the impression that it had to be smooth with no catch. I will try to turn off my OCD and deal with it as the Bandsaw has been sitting there for 2 months or more and never used, So I will try to move on to trying to getting the rest assembled. Then on to the wood Lathe and dust collector.

Edited by Edward Henry

14 minutes ago, Edward Henry said:

I aligned the main table to the blade. But the left table when I get it matched to the main is fin till I tighten it down then I get a slight lip or catch when I slide a piece of wood back and forth over the two sections. I was under the impression that it had to me smooth with no catch. I will try to turn off my OCD and deal with it as the Bandsaw has been sitting there for 2 months or more and never used, so I can now move on to trying to get the rest assembled. Then on to the wood Lathe and dust collector.

Well, that's one problem with the Chinese stuff. Anyway, I'd just adjust it to be a bit lower and let it got at that. As long as you have the main table adjusted to the blade, at least you can use the bandsaw. 

Oh no Shingles - Yuck :sad: I have definitely felt your pain.  That is just nasty stuff that hurts, a lot - and I caught mine early but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I hope your's was caught early and it clears up for you soon.  Mine was on my trunk but my mom and mother-in-law both had it on their heads and a sister had it on her trunk and a leg at the same time.

• 6 months later...

Well you have not heard from me in a long time as I do not like the cold and this winter I could not.. ok refused to freeze for learning how to use my new wood shop tools. But I have actually completed one project simple though it may be. (A Welcome Friends Design from a Quilting template I found) And as a result got my first request for Scroll work in a most unexpected way. I also tried a test run on the intersecting test using a packing scrap board it tore out due to large grain but shows that I can do it. The project request was to cut game pieces called meeples they are normally 16mm x 16mm but mine are more like 14.8mm x 14.8mm after slight sanding. They took me 5 hours to design, print and cut 17 of them on the Dewalt but the small size I feel was good practice.

5046154D-AFA2-41F2-8A7A-B1B72DEBC6CB.jpeg

3FEB1936-8B89-4EAE-9F01-A6646601A582.jpeg

622025F1-21B3-4DBA-807D-557F498764C5.jpeg

53840CD0-8B35-449C-973C-2F8A82881D5C.jpeg

D0B8536D-DADB-4F79-8994-0B352E930E01.jpeg

55AE9E8B-0314-476C-9BBE-8BFFABF01425.jpeg

88FA41EB-82F7-4C3E-98E1-E41BBE02C73B.jpeg

C004D946-7005-4D4A-83E3-4740CE20A2AF.jpeg

Looks Good! I see you are cutting plexiglass and did a very good job on a somewhat tough material to not mess up. Your choice of wood the sign teaches a good lesson on grain and detail. Course grain and fine detail may not be the best combo but the cutting looks real good. Trust me I have had more than my share of designer firewood some after many hours of cutting.

Keep at it.

Fredfret

Ed, 

I am so sorry you have been frustrated. 

You have received a lot of great advice. There is nothing else I can tell you that hasn’t already been said in regards to help but I can tell you that You are never alone, ever. You belong to SAW, send an email, call, you have access to the directory, use it. Everyone who has ever sawed on a scroll saw has felt the way you do at one point. Never compare your abilities with someone else’s. God made us all different with many levels of talent. We learn from our mistakes. Don’t be afraid to make them. You will remember that quicker than a comment in a reply. Blades were meant to be broken. Some of us just break them a little quicker than others. All of us have. Any one tells you different they are lying. 

I rcommend John Nelson’s, ScrollSaw Workbook to hep you overcome your fears and trepidation. My uncle started me on it and it is great. And Tony from Ohio, taught me to jot fear putting my fingers next to the blade and allow the blade to feed to wood. He helps Judy Gale Roberts with her beginner Intarsia classes. Now I can press the back of the blade to the wood to have a precise entry. 

Time, practice and patience, you’ll get there brother.

Misty Valestin

President

SAW

Ya know what, most folks, myself included feel that it's a compliment to be asked for their help or advice. And, for me, I know it makes me feel good to be able to help someone who is in need. So, stop feeling like you are "bothering" folks. Just ask them. If they blow you off, that tells you that you probably don't need them in your life anyway. Other people join groups for not only the friendship and camaraderie but also to learn from others. Whenever I get interested in a new hobby, the first thing I do is go out and find forums like this one so I have folks to ask for help and advice. So far, I've never been disappointed and I have never been told I'm a bother. 

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Ya know what, most folks, myself included feel that it's a compliment to be asked for their help or advice. And, for me, I know it makes me feel good to be able to help someone who is in need. So, stop feeling like you are "bothering" folks. Just ask them. If they blow you off, that tells you that you probably don't need them in your life anyway. Other people join groups for not only the friendship and camaraderie but also to learn from others. Whenever I get interested in a new hobby, the first thing I do is go out and find forums like this one so I have folks to ask for help and advice. So far, I've never been disappointed and I have never been told I'm a bother.

Couldn't have said it any better Ray.