Bookmarks

Fish

Hey Dan, you can use 1/32" BB plywood. I've sold a lot of them because you can stack about 10, cut them fast, and sell them cheap. I sometimes will dye the wood to vary the color. If you make them out of solid wood I'd make them 1/16" so they hold up better. 

Good luck and post some pics. 

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Hey Dan, you can use 1/32" BB plywood. I've sold a lot of them because you can stack about 10, cut them fast, and sell them cheap. I sometimes will dye the wood to vary the color. If you make them out of solid wood I'd make them 1/16" so they hold up better. 

Good luck and post some pics. 

Dan

Where are getting your wood from? Looks like something I would be interested in. 

The ones I've made in the past,were made out of 1/32" to !/16" stock. I make my own thin plywood to make the bookmarks out of, plus I use this thin plywood for fretwork ornaments also. It's been a while since I've made any ornaments or plywood, there's been no need to make any since I can't see well enough to do any cutting. T had cataract surgery done on my eyes four years ago, ever since then I've had double vision in one eye. Having double vision in my predominant eye, makes it very difficult to use the saw. I've tried using the saw numerous times, but  it was just to hard to follow a line.

Len

12 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

Dan

Where are getting your wood from? Looks like something I would be interested in. 

I was getting it from Midwest products but found it cheaper here http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php. This is aircraft grade and is good quality. 

I have tries making out of veneer but found the cost a bit more than I wanted to spend. If you search the internet you can probably find it more affordable than Woodcraft. The neat thing about making it yourself is you could use maple on one side and walnut on the other for a more unique look. 

another option for bookmarks is to use cardstock. Take pieces of cardstock cut to the size you want (up to 1/2" thick so lots of them) sandwich between two pieces of wood by wrapping the whole thing in tape. drill and cut like normal, take the tape off and you will have dozens. You can use them as is or glue them to a larger piece.

I used this method when cutting out pieces to use for my wedding invites and decorations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 9:22 AM, Brianr24 said:

You can buy veneer and stack glue it opposite grain pattern (diy  plywood) the advantage to this would be cost and u can get a very rich look from figured and exotic veneer for very cheap. Also a last resort option if you just can't find plywood.

Great idea Brian!