Compound Cutting Scroll Saw Blades

Sycamore67

I recently posted a comparison of some scroll saw blades and got some good feedback.  One notable thing was that several said that the Pegas Modified Geometry Blades were their favorites.  I had not used them and ordered several different sizes. 

Once I got them, I wanted to compare them to my standard blade which is the Flying Dutchman #7 Polar and to the PS Woodshop #7 Super Sharp.  Below is a picture showing a close up of the blades and also a table with the specifications and the cost per dozen.  Interesting that the Pegas Modified Geometry has some reverse teeth on the lower part of the blade. 

5a2aaea3892be_No7Specs.thumb.jpg.8191f5216e5624502c1f7f558eb95d8e.jpg

5a2aaeab63ad1_Compare7.thumb.jpg.e1bbb00f53c49242ff05f72778b7a58e.jpg

I edited this topic and took out the references to the cutting comparison that was done.

Edited by Sycamore67

Interesting.  But, I think you need to experiment some more.  Cutting a straight line is important, but probably the cut most scrollers spend the least amount of time cutting.  And speed is not always real important, at least for us that do not sell at shows and such.  It would, to my mind, take a lot of tests to determine chart-wize the best blade for which type of cut.  There tight turns to worry about, type of wood, thickness, size of kerf, cleanness of cut, the list goes on.  And, it all boils down to personal preference. 

I've been seriously scrolling for over three years now, and I have finally convinced there in no one best type, or brand. Of blade.  I am still experimenting as I go.  I do stick, at least so far, with what I feel are probably the top three brands, Flying Dutchman, Pegas and Olson, ( I really haven't tried Olson scroll saw blades but I have used their other blades).  I guess I need to throw some PS in the mix now.  I use several different blades on one project depending on what part of the project I am cutting.  What is becoming more important to me, is how to organize it all!:? 

This is all why I shutter every time the question is asked, "what blade to use".  To me it is the most confusing part of the scrolling world.  I agree with you, people should try and experiment with other types and brands, and yet maybe not.  If they can accomplish what they want with what they are currently using, maybe they reduce the confusion, and don't go around scratching their heads, mumbling to themselves, like I do, if they just stick with it.  I had hair before I started scrolling!!:oops:  But tis a hobby for me, I enjoy playing around and trying things.  I could not just keep doing the same thing the same way all the time.  Nothing wrong with it, just not my cut of tea.

11 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I recently posted a comparison of some scroll saw blades and got some good feedback.  One notable thing was that several said that the Pegas Modified Geometry Blades were their favorites.  I had not used them and ordered several different sizes. 

Once I got them, I wanted to compare them to my standard blade which is the Flying Dutchman #7 Polar and to the PS Woodshop #7 Super Sharp.  Below is a picture showing a close up of the blades and also a table with the specifications and the cost per dozen.  Interesting that the Pegas Modified Geometry has some reverse teeth on the lower part of the blade. 

5a2aaea3892be_No7Specs.thumb.jpg.8191f5216e5624502c1f7f558eb95d8e.jpg

5a2aaeab63ad1_Compare7.thumb.jpg.e1bbb00f53c49242ff05f72778b7a58e.jpg

I edited this topic and took out the references to the cutting comparison that was done.

I need sharp hard blades for my cuttings.I enjoy what i do but want to zing thru a project an on to the next!

Edited by amazingkevin
miss spelled word

Kevin 

IMHO...The PS Woods Super Sharp blades are the fastest cutting blade for compound cutting.  The Pegas Modified Geometry is OK and the FD Polar blade that I have been using is the worst of the three.  For me, cutting hard thick wood...red oak, the differences were very noticeable.

If price were not a concern, I would only use the Super Sharps  for compound cutting but they are three times as expensive. 

For different woods, the difference may not be as noticeable.

Scroll saw blade choice is a very personal thing. There are several good manufacturers and each offers a very large variety of blades. I tend to prefer smaller blades than others when doing the same kind of cutting, but my preferred choice never seems to be the same as others. My only suggestion is to try different blade sizes, types, and brands until you find the blade that works best for what you are cutting and then use it for that type of work and wood. You will find that what works best for you will vary depending on the type of work and the wood that you are cutting it from.  Years ago I started scrolling with whatever USA made blades that I could find and I had very mixed luck with them. Back then, blade quality varied all over the place and even from one blade to another of the same bundle. Then "precision ground" became available and this was a significant improvement. I now buy mostly European made blades because I have found them to be of much higher quality. Still, occasionally, I find differences between two blades of the same package, but over all they are a night and day difference than the blades that I was using 40 years ago, and blade technology seems to still be improving, so don't buy more than you can use in 6 months to a year, because newer and better blades will quite likely be made next year..  A three or four year old blade may not even compare compare to a new blade of the same size and style. 

Charley

Yes, the choice of a scroll saw blade is a personal one based on use, saw, material and a bunch of other things.  What I use will probably not be what others would use.  I have done compound cutting with blades from a #3 to a #9 and typically will use a #5 or perhaps #7.

However, the purpose of this thread was to try to provide some information to the newer scrollers who are asking what blade should I use.  I wanted to try to give a comparison of a couple of blades so the newer scrollers might find some information.  I provided the name and the blade number so they could have some specific information on what works for one person and maybe it would help them find the best blade for them faster.  The thread was never intended for the experienced scroller who understands blades and what works for them. The question of what blade to use shows up pretty often and I think that it is worthwhile to provide a blade brand name and number to help provide a starting point.