Need a Challenge?

hotshot

I'm pulling in a few Artist to begin designing patterns for the Scroll Saw Community (focusing on Coins).  These pieces can potentially be blown up and cut in wood as well.  My designers don't know my limits yet, so they are pushing the boundaries.  The image below is blown up considerably, so those "strings" are even thinner than they look.

If anyone wants to try this, or blow it up and cut it in wood, let me know as any pattern I'm commissioning will be free to the scrolling community.

This pattern designer is Elizabeth Olsen.  I like the way she thinks, so I'm excited to see what else she comes up with.

------Randy

mobile.jpg

mobile2.jpg.5aa7ea21bb335e3f241d1fb8ce0619da.jpg

Edited by hotshot

1 hour ago, hotshot said:

I'm pulling in a few Artist to begin designing patterns for the Scroll Saw Community (focusing on Coins).  These pieces can potentially be blown up and cut in wood as well.  My designers don't know my limits yet, so they are pushing the boundaries.  The image below is blown up considerably, so those "strings" are even thinner than they look.

If anyone want to try this, or blow it up and cut it in wood, let me know as any pattern I'm commissioning will be free to the scrolling community.

This pattern designer is Elizabeth Olsen.  I like the way she thinks, so I'm excited to see what else she comes up with.

------Randy

mobile.jpg

Very nice and I would be interested in these patterns you mention as I think they would lend themselves well to being cut in vinyl same shape as a coin just bigger in my eyes so I will give it a go see what happens :) 

5 hours ago, hotshot said:

If anyone wants to try this, or blow it up and cut it in wood, let me know as any pattern I'm commissioning will be free to the scrolling community.

------Randy

mobile.jpg

Oh my gosh Randy...........how fragile is it?

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Oh my gosh Randy...........how fragile is it?

Well, the Eisenhower is thick so that helps, but the side to side is pretty weak.  I debated if I could polish it without breaking it, and ended up taking a chance to get it polished.  It survived.  I haven't decided if I will sell coins based on this design or not.  I owe the artist one more copy of this design, so I have to brave it at least one more time.

Edited by hotshot

5 hours ago, hotshot said:

Well, the Eisenhower is thick so that helps, but the side to side is pretty weak.  I debated if I could polish it without breaking it, and ended up taking a chance to get it polished.  It survived.  I haven't decided if I will sell coins based on this design or not.  I owe the artist one more copy of this design, so I have to brave it at least one more time.

I thought you super glued these to wood and then soak in acetone to remove.Polish while it's still glued to the wood .Maybe i miss understood how you cut coins ,sorry if that's the case.

11 hours ago, hotshot said:

------Randy

mobile.jpg

Another though ,What about polishing before cutting,Or am i missing the boat again.?

40 minutes ago, amazingkevin said:

Another though ,What about polishing before cutting,Or am i missing the boat again.?

Hey Kevin, I only glue very small coins to wood to help hold them, but I rarely cut coins that small.  

Polishing the coins before cutting is always a temptation, but the glue doesn't seem to adhere as well to polished surfaces.  My worst enemy is pattern lifting, because when I get lift on very very small pieces, that little bit of pattern just tears off, then I have to cut blind, and I pretty well suck at that.

20 hours ago, hotshot said:

Hey Kevin, I only glue very small coins to wood to help hold them, but I rarely cut coins that small.  

Polishing the coins before cutting is always a temptation, but the glue doesn't seem to adhere as well to polished surfaces.  My worst enemy is pattern lifting, because when I get lift on very very small pieces, that little bit of pattern just tears off, then I have to cut blind, and I pretty well suck at that.

My problem too with spraying paper patterns on wood .I'm so cheap to save glue alot of times i too have to hold the pattern down with a pencil to finish.lol