788 ARM

ike

i HAD MY SAW INTO THE REPAIRSHOP LAST FALL AND RERESENTIVESFROM DEWALT WORKED ON IT. THEY WERE THIR BECAUSE OF MY COMPLAINT AND THEY DID THE REPAIRS AND TUNE UP FRE.BUT MY ARM WSA JUST TIGHT ENOUGH NOT TO FALL DOWN WHEN i RAISED IT. sO I HAVE BEEN USEING IT LIKE THAT WITH NO WAY TO KEEP IT UP OTHER THAN THE WAY THAT IT WAS RETURNED TO ME.IS THERE ANY HARM IN OPERATING MY SAW THIS WAY? 

IKE

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

The accessories for sale to hold the are up are around $25.  Much cheaper than a new saw..... Just saying, why take a chance.  I had a "Jim Dandy" in mine worked great, there are a couple others to choose from, also.

Yes, I would use a accessory over having the screw too tight.. I used the Jim Dandy easy lift.. It's only $22

http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html 

I have not used the Jim Dandy on the Delta 40-690, but I suspect that it would work, since the saws are so similar.  There is another product on the market, called "The Lifter" which is advertised as working for both saws.  I'm not endorsing the Lifter.  Other than seeing an ad on Amazon, I know nothing else about it.

5 hours ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Has anyone used the Jim Dandy on the Delta 40-690 clone? Currently using the 2x4 trick rather than the locking pin in back.

Isn't the locking pin spring loaded? ie automatically lock once the arm is at the height where it will lock? If so then I would think the easy lift would be a nuisance.. But if it's not spring loaded and you have to push it in to lock and then pull it to unlock.. the easy lift would make that process much more hassle free.. 

I wish the EX- saws had some sort of spring loaded arm.. while not a huge deal.. but after using the easy lift on my 788.. and my Hawks have a spring loaded upper arm that automatically goes up once the blade is unhooked makes for a extra couple steps on the EX type saws.. While I'm getting used to the EX now it's not such a nuisance as it was at first.. I'd say the Hawks have the best set up for blade changing for fret work.. for the saws I've used so far..   

On 4/18/2018 at 3:16 AM, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Got short arms and it just works out quicker to raise with the left and stuff the 2/4 with the right. Ahhh!!!! Different strokes. Have a good one.

Well, short arms or not, all you have to do is lift with your left. Done. The Jim Dandy will save you time and save using your right are for anything.

Ray