Top feeder no longer

GrampaJim

47 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Jim you know that clamp on the top should not be tight.  Per the manual you should be able to wiggle it a little.  Do not put the screw that screws done on the top of it tight.  Back if off about 1/4 turn.  I broke a lot of blades before I read that in the manual.

Thanks, I'll have to check that tomorrow. (shops closed for the night 😏 ).  I have not done a lot of changes, since it was a working saw when I got it.  

I am sure I am not tensioning correctly yet. 

Just now, GrampaJim said:

Thanks, I'll have to check that tomorrow. (shops closed for the night 😏 ).  I have not done a lot of changes, since it was a working saw when I got it.  

I am sure I am not tensioning correctly yet. 

I have found tension is maybe more important on a Hegner than other saws, but after some use I learned just from feel of setting the tension lever if it is right or not. 

15 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Jim you know that clamp on the top should not be tight.  Per the manual you should be able to wiggle it a little.  Do not put the screw that screws done on the top of it tight.  Back if off about 1/4 turn.  I broke a lot of blades before I read that in the manual.

Paul, OK, I a little slow. 

The Quick Clamp is screwed down tight in its holder and should not move.  The blade in the Quick Clamp should not be too tight.  Have I got that right?  

I just finished cutting for a couple of hours and in that time only broke one blade -  an FD-UR #1 (in the standard clamp, which is all I have so far).  So I think/know I am making progress.

I'm sort of confused here too. I have read it both ways. That the upper blade clamp should be held tight with the knob above the clamp. Then I read that it should be backed off a 1/4 turn. So far, I haven't seen much difference either way but I haven't really used the saw that much yet.

Yes, I understand now.  I will try that.  Interesting that my manual says to "Install Quick-Clamp in upper
saw arm, being sure to completely lock down the knurled safety-stop screw to hold
Quick-Clamp firmly in place."   I guess I was thinking firmly in terms of more is better. 

Thank you !!!

Edited by GrampaJim

20 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Oh my, I will have to dig out my manual and read again.  I was having all kinds of blade breakage until I red my manual and it said or I thought it did to loosen that a little.... Can't do it right now but I will dig the manual out again tomorrow and re-read. 

The manual says to tighten it down but they aren't meaning with the Quick Clamp I'll bet. The manual was written prior to the Quick Clamp availability more than likely. So, using the Quick Clamp we are probably supposed to loosen it up just a bit maybe? I leave it sort of loose and haven't broken any blades yet. But as I said, I haven't put too many hours on it so far. I'm still trying to figure out the motor speed problem.

Edited by octoolguy

Okay, I found my manual.  Humm, I'm a little confused.  In the original manual, it says in section 9.7 (page 7) referring to Fig 9.9, "Turn the upper knurled screw towards the clamp so that a gap of around 1mm exists between the clamp and the bolt. The picture shows the original style clamp, that you used a tool to loosen and tighten the clampp to put the blade in place...  page 8 shows pictures with the "Quick Clamp", it says in section 10.2 "Attach the special clamp in the upper swing arm and lock with the knurled screw. "  Lock sounds like the knurled screw would be screwed tight.....  So I guess I am not sure.  I do know I leave that clamp a little loose, like I did when I was using an original style clamp and I do break some blades but not any more than I did on my Ex when I had it or my Seyco now.  I did break more blades when I first got the machine and had the upper clamp held in tight....

It would not be the first time in my life, that manufacturers instructions at not perfectly accurate.  Advance Machinery has a youtube video about the quick clamp that seems to follow the manual:

To my mind, keeping it a little loose does seem to make sense.  If the arms are not 100% in line with each other, the Quick Clamp being able to move slightly would be a good thing.  You would not want it to be able to pivot front to back at all, just side to side.

Maybe we have different rev's of the manual.  My is one I downloaded from their web site a couple of weeks ago.  I am referencing  4  3) INSTALLING ACCESSORIES, section d) HEGNER Quick-Clamp.

Paul, I will be trying your way for a few days.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:26 PM, GrampaJim said:

Paul, I will be trying your way for a few days.

After a week of cutting a variety of things, I broke one blade - a very warn out one.   In addition to loosening the the top clamp holder a tiny bit and not tightening the blade clamps too much, I also re-read and follow the instructions on tensioning the blade.   I know it is a bad way to troubleshoot and change more than one thing, but it had worked out

Some time ago, I had written that I would never own a saw that does not top feed - I am going to the kitchen now to eat some crow.  :bored:

I now consider myself a confirmed member of the Hegner club.