128 Square Inch Disaster

Rockytime

Three PM and I'm disgusted. At myself, who else. I made a rookie mistake. Probably because I am a rookie. My first mistake was MDF. It cuts beautifully but it is messy. I won't cut any longer. I do have dust collection at the bottom of the saw but not on top. The whole one end of my shop is a mess. Everything has to be individually dusted. The dust is pervasive and very unhealthy. Rookie mistake was not having my blade perpendicular to the table. I was so used to using my 16" saw I never bothered checking my new saw. As a result some parts fit from the bottom and some from the top. The last piece partially fits from the top and partially from the bottom, therefore not fitting at all. Tomorrow I'll be picking up some Poplar and start over. I may do it in Pine. That would make it thicker.

1-20180525_151127.jpg

Cutting puzzles also requires frequent blades changes.  Most rookies and even non rookies, myself included, tend to over use blades.  As the blades dull we naturally tend to push which causes the blades to flex and thus not cutting perpendicular.   This is especially turn in tight turns which your project has many of.  Looking at that puzzle I would expect you to use at least two blades if not three.

2 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

Cutting puzzles also requires frequent blades changes.  Most rookies and even non rookies, myself included, tend to over use blades.  As the blades dull we naturally tend to push which causes the blades to flex and thus not cutting perpendicular.   This is especially turn in tight turns which your project has many of.  Looking at that puzzle I would expect you to use at least two blades if not three.

This is a very true statement. You can get away with the overuse of a blade in most projects but puzzles the cuts need to be true. 

19 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Three PM and I'm disgusted. At myself, who else. I made a rookie mistake. Probably because I am a rookie. My first mistake was MDF. It cuts beautifully but it is messy. I won't cut any longer. I do have dust collection at the bottom of the saw but not on top. The whole one end of my shop is a mess. Everything has to be individually dusted. The dust is pervasive and very unhealthy. Rookie mistake was not having my blade perpendicular to the table. I was so used to using my 16" saw I never bothered checking my new saw. As a result some parts fit from the bottom and some from the top. The last piece partially fits from the top and partially from the bottom, therefore not fitting at all. Tomorrow I'll be picking up some Poplar and start over. I may do it in Pine. That would make it thicker.

1-20180525_151127.jpg

Beautiful cutting and puzzle!  I have made that mistake on intricate cuts too.  Fortunately I was able to hand sand the piece that stuck until it fit, albiet tightly.