Visit to Another Scroller

Rockytime

I spent this afternoon with another scroller. Hi is the person who purchased my 216VS Hawk. It was an interesting visit. Clayton has six scroll saws. 2 - 220VS Ultra Hawks, 1 - 216VS Hawk, 1 - Excalibur, 1 - 14" PS Woods, 1 - 21" PS Woods. I did a little cutting on both the Excalibur and the 21" PS Woods. Both are remarkable saws. The Ex is nearly totally vibration free. A beautiful machine. I also had the privilege to use the PS Wood saw. It is phenomenal. I would call it an industrial rated machine. Heavy, heavy. It is built like a tank and like the Hegner and Hawk it is a simple machine. It has a large table and I was impressed with the belt change system. It is easy and foolproof. Changing belts is a breeze and it cuts like a dream. At $799.00 with free shipping  and stand it is a bargain. Had I known about the machine when I first started scrolling I would have purchased it immediately. I am surprised that it is not more widely used. I'm sure there are Village members out there that use one but perhaps just don't lit be known.I almost get the idea they are sort of considered like a Yugo. They are not. I also looked at two of his saws with the mirror tables. Impressive. He waxes them which lessens the shine slightly but the wood introduces small scratches which makes me decide not to do it to my saw. Plus it takes him about four hours to do it. I don't have time or energy. I also used the PS Wood blades. A #5. Very smooth cutting. Finished cut is very smooth, just like a sanded finish. He gave me a dozen blades. I'll put them to use for sure. In all it was an enjoyable afternoon. BTW he even cuts sheet metal with the PS Wood machine. He cuts out an elephant, spot welds the big ears and welds two small rods to it for placing on the garden or lawn. Of course that's me at the PS Wood machine.

3-20180606_144233.jpg

On the other thread that had mentioned PS blades and saws, I was intrigued and looked up the company on the internet. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the saw since it's been barely mentioned at the Village. Any others out there that have one or used one? Every thing has just about been said about Deltas, DeWalts, Hawks, Hegners etc. 

Hi Brad, The working parts are easy and rugged. The tension knob is at the rear with a quick release at the front. The blade holders are steel rather than aluminum and are very well built. Blade change is easy. The belt change is nice. It has five speeds and the sheaves are low profile making belt changes quick and easy. No speed controller problems and a robust 1.8 amp motor. It will take extreme pushing with a #12 blade with no hint of slowing down.I would at this point never ever pay over one thousand dollars when this industrial machine with stand and free shipping for $799.00. It is a smooth running machine that will virtually never wear out. Everything does wear out but it will take enormous amount of cutting to do so. But what do I know?

wow! that sounds like a machine to be looked at, Mr. Les! Havin' steel blade holders would be a more workable set up than aluminum, imo. Aluminum strips out after time, & in some cases, ain't the best blade holders. I've got 7 holders for my BM - 26. I've found with real small blades, like a #0 down to a #0/2 blade, & spirals, I have to change out the thumb screw & hex screw. I doubt it'd be much different with steel, the main difference bein' ya wouldn't have the worry of thread strippin'.

The belt changin' sounds easy enough. I'm guessin' cast iron saw deck? or cast aluminum? I'd like to try one out just to see what they're like!

14 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

wow! that sounds like a machine to be looked at, Mr. Les! Havin' steel blade holders would be a more workable set up than aluminum, imo. Aluminum strips out after time, & in some cases, ain't the best blade holders. I've got 7 holders for my BM - 26. I've found with real small blades, like a #0 down to a #0/2 blade, & spirals, I have to change out the thumb screw & hex screw. I doubt it'd be much different with steel, the main difference bein' ya wouldn't have the worry of thread strippin'.

The belt changin' sounds easy enough. I'm guessin' cast iron saw deck? or cast aluminum? I'd like to try one out just to see what they're like!

I may have said earlier in error, I'm not sure, but the saw is made from cast aluminum. If I said steel, I apologize.

• 3 years later...

Hey thats my buddy at my favorite saw in my little part of the garage.  Im gonna get a ring pop and marry that blue saw.  That thing has close to 3500 hours on it to date now. Got it new early 2018 and put most of the hours on it in 2018 and 2019.  I feel homesick for this saw I need to go get it.  I have more saws now and back then I had helpful cutters to help get me on my feet.  “Literally” That was a great day! And I also keep it very clean.  Thats just how it gets after hours of fast cutting.  It always gets a good vacuum and lube at the end of the day. I made a bunch of large 3 foot animal skeleton puzzles that day.   

On 6/6/2018 at 6:28 PM, Rockytime said:

I spent this afternoon with another scroller. Hi is the person who purchased my 216VS Hawk. It was an interesting visit. Clayton has six scroll saws. 2 - 220VS Ultra Hawks, 1 - 216VS Hawk, 1 - Excalibur, 1 - 14" PS Woods, 1 - 21" PS Woods. I did a little cutting on both the Excalibur and the 21" PS Woods. Both are remarkable saws. The Ex is nearly totally vibration free. A beautiful machine. I also had the privilege to use the PS Wood saw. It is phenomenal. I would call it an industrial rated machine. Heavy, heavy. It is built like a tank and like the Hegner and Hawk it is a simple machine. It has a large table and I was impressed with the belt change system. It is easy and foolproof. Changing belts is a breeze and it cuts like a dream. At $799.00 with free shipping  and stand it is a bargain. Had I known about the machine when I first started scrolling I would have purchased it immediately. I am surprised that it is not more widely used. I'm sure there are Village members out there that use one but perhaps just don't lit be known.I almost get the idea they are sort of considered like a Yugo. They are not. I also looked at two of his saws with the mirror tables. Impressive. He waxes them which lessens the shine slightly but the wood introduces small scratches which makes me decide not to do it to my saw. Plus it takes him about four hours to do it. I don't have time or energy. I also used the PS Wood blades. A #5. Very smooth cutting. Finished cut is very smooth, just like a sanded finish. He gave me a dozen blades. I'll put them to use for sure. In all it was an enjoyable afternoon. BTW he even cuts sheet metal with the PS Wood machine. He cuts out an elephant, spot welds the big ears and welds two small rods to it for placing on the garden or lawn. Of course that's me at the PS Wood machine.

3-20180606_144233.jpg

It even matches your shirt Les.

I really think the only reason that saw is not more popular, is the belt changing.... Most people get turned off by that.. I would love to have one of them... Belt changing never bothered me... I had a Nova that speed changes were belts.... Loved it... Quick easy and no expensive repairs........

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

I really think the only reason that saw is not more popular, is the belt changing.... Most people get turned off by that.. I would love to have one of them... Belt changing never bothered me... I had a Nova that speed changes were belts.... Loved it... Quick easy and no expensive repairs........

I was thinking the same Paul. Nobody gives their drill presses a thought and they are a lot harder to change speeds. I pretty much stay at the same speed on my saws. I never run them wide open.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Belt change is as easy as simply putting the belt on.  Changing the speeds is as easy as just pushing over on the belt.  There are two belts both just go on and off but are different.  There is a ribbed v belt style from the motor to the first pulley where it transfers full torque to a round urethane which you push over to change speeds.  And honestly if you leave it on 1150 spm thats more than adequate for most everything.  Especially with the right blade and the large stroke of the machine.  Its smooth smooth smooth.  But you can definitely feel the power when your cutting.  Its a fun toy.