Jointer Motor (update) and busy me, LOL

kmmcrafts

Yea, I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a treatise on table saw safety, but to be frank, learning how to avoid kickbacks isn't rocket science.  There are a few basic techniques and rules of thumb that need to be understood and followed and kickbacks can be readily prevented.  The table saw is the centerpiece of many woodworking shops for good reason.  They can be incredibly versatile.  With all due respect, it seems more practical to put ones energy and resources into learning proper TS safety and technique rather than trying to fix and/or use tools with limited capabilities.

I'm climbing down off of my soapbox now.  😄

I was thinking the exact same thing about the VS on a jointer. I had a Sears 6" a while ago and never ever had a problem using it. It ran at full speed but was slowed/regulated by the size of the pulleys that came on it. I never gave that a thought. I just used it. 
As for the table saw, well, if seeing a flying board shook one up, I would never ever use a lathe. I was in high school shop class many years ago and a guy was turning a bowl on the lathe. Something happened. I know not what but the bowl blew apart and the largest chunk of it went through the dropped ceiling. made a heck of a noise and scared the you know what out of all of us. There was also the time that the shop teacher made a stupid mistake by trying to use a router while standing up on top of one of the work tables. He stepped back and fell off the table. He did manage to "throw" the router away from himself but it taught me a lesson about routing. Always be thinking about where that spinning blade is and what direction it is turning. Most accidents can be prevented by the use of COMMON SENSE.

• 4 months later...

sorry if this is a dead thread, but I have the porter cable version of this jointer with the vari speed thing, jointer works for my needs. could anyone tell me how to bypass it and wire the motor direct. is it just a power wire from the switch to the circuit board and another wire from circuit board to the motor? is it that simple to wire it direct. I don't really use the thing and I wonder if I would get a bit more power wiring it direct or even putting the circuit on a switch to bypass it and use it if and when I need to. could anyone confirm or deny that the vari speed circuit could or would take away power performance. just curious is all.  

On 10/22/2018 at 12:15 AM, rockgod212 said:

sorry if this is a dead thread, but I have the porter cable version of this jointer with the vari speed thing, jointer works for my needs. could anyone tell me how to bypass it and wire the motor direct. is it just a power wire from the switch to the circuit board and another wire from circuit board to the motor? is it that simple to wire it direct. I don't really use the thing and I wonder if I would get a bit more power wiring it direct or even putting the circuit on a switch to bypass it and use it if and when I need to. could anyone confirm or deny that the vari speed circuit could or would take away power performance. just curious is all.  

I don't suggest modifying it if it's working okay for you.. Wiring it direct isn't going to give you more power... and also won't get any more speed out of it.. I wired mine direct because the speed control circuit board messed up and it was " speed hunting " ( fast slow fast slow ) which is almost impossible to use safely.. I almost did a video on how to do it.. but then thought against it simply because I don't want to be held liable for someone else's idiot mistake.. 

Like I said.. bypassing it doesn't improve anything... it doesn't give more power or make it run any faster than the fastest speed on the variable speed dial.. if it did.. then expect it to be more dangerous to use and also expect the motor to burn up soon.. trying to get more power or faster speed sounds to me like you need a bigger machine.. rather than playing with danger and injury trying to modify what you have... these small units are designed for light duty use.. 

If you're up on electrical stuff and having a problem with the variable speed.. and have general knowledge of switches and motors etc.. just take it apart and wire it up.. actually was quite simple.. but messing with it if you don't know electrical wiring etc.. I would advise finding someone that does know..   

You will not get more power out of it as you call it. The HP of a motor is what it is. If the VS works just run it full open and that is it. There is a reason all these bench top tools were invented, and that is to save space. But with that you sacrifice the ability to do larger woodworking jobs. That jointer is designed for light work. It will bog down when hard woods and exotic woods are run through it. You can lighten up the cut to overcome this somewhat but still pushing the limits of the tool. They are also unstable so be carefull with those things.