Color Coding Blades

Rick Kr

I read somewhere that I should color code my blades.  It didn't take long before I realized the value there.  I started using just a single color for the half dozen blades I had, but then I acquired a much larger array of blades (brands, types & sizes).  I have eight colors of those valve pump paint pens, so came up with a scheme for color coding.  See the photo.  Using the eight colors, there are colors for Brand, Type and Size.  The colors are repeated between categories.  I store them in plastic tubes and have labeled the tubes with the same information and have color coded the labels on the tubes and the lid/tops of each tube.  I also code the tops of each blade.  I am quickly becoming accustomed to the codes. 

What do some of you guys do?

Rick

Scroll Saw Blade Color Codes 06-15-18 640.jpg

Edited by Rick Kr

So if I understand correctly... you're putting several different styles and sizes of blades in a single tube? I suppose that would work for some folks.. I buy my blades by the gross and the whole gross won't fit into a tube.. so I typically put 3-4 dozen blades in at a time.. 

If this was even possible for me the only advantage I see is not having to have 30 tubes.. but then.. all 30 tubes are usually packed full of 3-4 dozen blades so it still wouldn't work.. Maybe a great idea for others.. just wouldn't work well for me

I peel the sticker off the blade package that they come in and place it on my tubes, and or if no sticker and just plain paper I roll the paper up so the size etc. can be seen and stuff inside the tube...   

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

So if I understand correctly... you're putting several different styles and sizes of blades in a single tube? ...snip...

No, each brand, type and size goes in a tube by itself.  I'm new enough to have not yet figured out what blades work best for me such that I can winnow it down to just a few. 

On used blades, I was thinking of painting the bottom ends white, but I like the idea of grinding a point on the top.  That would be easier for picking unused ones from the top of the tube. 

Rick

I use  5 1/2" tall pill bottles that I get from Walgreen to store my blades, one bottle for each size and type. They give these bottles to me unused and free whenever I ask for them . (At my age I'm a good customer who buys a lot of medicine from them). These bottles are large enough to store about 4  gross of blades and still allow me to get a finger down in them to pull just one blade out at a time. I leave the wrapped blade bundles together, with only one bundle opened at a time, so the loose blades are stored in the same bottle with the bundles. This makes it easy for me to see when I'm running low on them so I order more well before running out. A used blade is always discarded, and never returned to the bottle. They are cheap enough to be disposable and it's too hard to figure out what each one is once it has been removed from the bottle, used, and then left on the bench. I also hate getting the wrong or dull blade in my saw because it can degrade the quality of my work,  I've decided that it's best to  just trash them. The shipping label from the blade package is  placed in the bottle facing out,  so I can be certain of ordering the exact same blades when I need to order them again. This also helps me to get the correct labeled cap back on the bottle if I should happen to open more than one bottle at a time (I try to never do this). I bought some 3/4" round sticky labels and put one on the cap of each bottle. The blade size, type, and manufacturer information is written on this label so I that can quickly find the blade that I want when the bottles are stored next to each other inside my tool box,. I can only readily see their caps when they are in the tool box. So far, I have seen no need for color coding, since my cap information tells me all that I need to know about the blades that are in the bottle under it.

I made two tool boxes to keep with my scroll saws from 12 mm Baltic Birch plywood. The right half of the smaller box holds 9 of these tall pill bottles containing my more frequently used blades. The left half holds a roll of double sided tape,  blue tape, rubber cement (I do mostly compound cutting so there is no need to remove the glue after cutting),  magnifying glasses, a pencil with eraser, a sharpened d1/8" dowel rod, and a piece of paraffin wax for blade lubrication. In the lid are stored my blade angle gauges, scissors,,  and two of my shop made compound cutting clamps. 

The second and larger box  holds 30 of the same sized pill bottles. This second box contains all of my less often used blade sizes.  Both of these boxes sit on top of a soda crate right next to me when I'm using my scroll saws in my shop. When I do demonstrations at trade shows or training sessions away from my shop I usually only take the smaller tool box with me, and it's placed on a small folding table next to my scroll saw,  but I may swap in and out a few bottles of blades with those in the larger box before I leave my shop, to have the blades with me that I think I will want to use on that trip. Both of these boxes were made with traveling in mind, to look nice and professional at shows, be strong enough to survive rough traveling and handling, and to keep my scroll saw blades and tools near me and well organized for easy access when I'm scroll sawing.

I've made quite a few similar tool boxes for keeping other tools  and their accessories together and well organized. These two boxes are just natural birch color with  no stain and just several coats of clear poly on them. The others are  stained different colors to help me find what I need quickly in the shop whenever I want it. Function determines stain color, so tool boxes used for scrolling are one color, tool boxes used for routing are another color, etc.

Charley

DSCF0542LoRes.jpg

DSCF0539.JPG

3 hours ago, CharleyL said:

I use  5 1/2" tall pill bottles that I get from Walgreen to store my blades, one bottle for each size and type. They give these bottles to me unused and free whenever I ask for them . (At my age I'm a good customer who buys a lot of medicine from them). These bottles are large enough to store about 4  gross of blades and still allow me to get a finger down in them to pull just one blade out at a time. I leave the wrapped blade bundles together, with only one bundle opened at a time, so the loose blades are stored in the same bottle with the bundles. This makes it easy for me to see when I'm running low on them so I order more well before running out. A used blade is always discarded, and never returned to the bottle. They are cheap enough to be disposable and it's too hard to figure out what each one is once it has been removed from the bottle, used, and then left on the bench. I also hate getting the wrong or dull blade in my saw because it can degrade the quality of my work,  I've decided that it's best to  just trash them. The shipping label from the blade package is  placed in the bottle facing out,  so I can be certain of ordering the exact same blades when I need to order them again. This also helps me to get the correct labeled cap back on the bottle if I should happen to open more than one bottle at a time (I try to never do this). I bought some 3/4" round sticky labels and put one on the cap of each bottle. The blade size, type, and manufacturer information is written on this label so I that can quickly find the blade that I want when the bottles are stored next to each other inside my tool box,. I can only readily see their caps when they are in the tool box. So far, I have seen no need for color coding, since my cap information tells me all that I need to know about the blades that are in the bottle under it.

I made two tool boxes to keep with my scroll saws from 12 mm Baltic Birch plywood. The right half of the smaller box holds 9 of these tall pill bottles containing my more frequently used blades. The left half holds a roll of double sided tape,  blue tape, rubber cement (I do mostly compound cutting so there is no need to remove the glue after cutting),  magnifying glasses, a pencil with eraser, a sharpened d1/8" dowel rod, and a piece of paraffin wax for blade lubrication. In the lid are stored my blade angle gauges, scissors,,  and two of my shop made compound cutting clamps. 

The second and larger box  holds 30 of the same sized pill bottles. This second box contains all of my less often used blade sizes.  Both of these boxes sit on top of a soda crate right next to me when I'm using my scroll saws in my shop. When I do demonstrations at trade shows or training sessions away from my shop I usually only take the smaller tool box with me, and it's placed on a small folding table next to my scroll saw,  but I may swap in and out a few bottles of blades with those in the larger box before I leave my shop, to have the blades with me that I think I will want to use on that trip. Both of these boxes were made with traveling in mind, to look nice and professional at shows, be strong enough to survive rough traveling and handling, and to keep my scroll saw blades and tools near me and well organized for easy access when I'm scroll sawing.

I've made quite a few similar tool boxes for keeping other tools  and their accessories together and well organized. These two boxes are just natural birch color with  no stain and just several coats of clear poly on them. The others are  stained different colors to help me find what I need quickly in the shop whenever I want it. Function determines stain color, so tool boxes used for scrolling are one color, tool boxes used for routing are another color, etc.

Charley

DSCF0542LoRes.jpg

DSCF0539.JPG

Here, once again, is a great example of how badly we need a "WOW" icon here on the SSV. This post and accompanying pics deserve a "WOW". Thanks Charley. Now, I have to get busy on making my finger jointed boxes and running to the drug store for my bottles. And also, I need to gather all the other stuff you mentioned. I like those angle gauges. And your holding clamps. And........................