What to be aware of in a used Excalibur saw?

OCtoolguy

Ray, Tgiro's info is spot on. I went through the same issues. Bought a replacement lower but I decided to modify the original mount. Bought a helicoil kit so now it's steel thread and steel t bolt. This is all fixable stuff and it looks to still be a good buy. My ex-16 about 3 years old and works great!

5 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Tgiro, that's the info that I need. I would not have known about the problem with the bottom clamps. I'm going to give the saw a good trial run too. I'm not familiar with the upper arm on these saws. Does it stay up on it's own or does it need some sort of "stay" added on?

The upper arm should stay up by itself. But if it seems loose or doesn't - that's not a show stopper. There is a simple adjustment on the side for that.

Another check - once the blade is locked in and tight, check the tension knob on the back. Don't use it to adjust your blade tension, but as the saw is running/cutting, make sure that knob isn't turning. If it is, the tension mechanism is loose. Again, not a show stopper, Ray Seymore can talk you through fixing that over the phone.

I have a EX just like that one I purchased in 2010 from Seyco. Many, many hours and it Still runs great. I have never replaced the bottom blade clamp but have replaced the top clamp and tension lever a couple times.  On the left side it has a adjustable tension screw so to speak to keep the upper arm up. You can adjust it to the level of tension you want to keep the arm up. Don't get it too tight. I now have a Seyco ST21 and use my EX for backup and some other projects. I think you would be very happy with the saw for that price.

grizz

Oregon  

Just for clarification.. someone mentioned seals? My saw doesn't have any seals.. maybe some did but I'm doubting it.. My saw is built just like the DeWalt.. Mechanics of the saw is pretty close to that of the DeWalt..with some added features of coarse.. 

I don't want people to take me wrong.. if the right buy came along I'd buy it again.. but if I were looking for a brand new saw.. unless I was doing angle cutting.. I 'd save some money and buy a DeWalt.. that's just me though.. The EX definitely has better features as in adjusting the blade stroke movement etc... 

That all said.. The saw you put pictures of on this post... hard to see the table real well with the sun glare on it.. but from what I can see... I don't think it was used very much..

I'm betting that saw will vibrate pretty good the way it's mounted to that stand? My saw didn't come with a stand.. and I mounted to to a cheap light weight stand.. and it vibrated pretty bad.. Once I mounted it to an actual EX stand.. it runs real smooth.. so if you try it out.. just keep that in mind.. stand mounting and stand balance to the floor can make most any saw vibrate bad.. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

Ray, you have been offered many reasons for and against buying this saw. Regret is a painful thing. I have made some painful choices I have regretted and chalked them up to experience or lack of. My biggest regrets have been missed opportunities. Back in 2000 at the time of the internet bubble we bought some "penny" stocks. One of them was Amazon... It sat for years and didn't go anywhere. We made some money on some other stock and needed to take a loss and sold it. That was a missed opportunity and I do regret it. Lesson learned. The EX is a great machine and I loved it since the day I bought it and never regretted what I paid for it. I enjoy cutting with it every day. Ray....?

Edited by munzieb
grammar

Ok, update. I just got off the phone with the seller. He told me that it belonged to his father who passed away 4 years ago. His father purchased it not too much before he passed. So, the saw has not been used much. The seller has tried once to use it to cut out a wooden car for his son but had nothing but trouble because of not knowing how to even put a blade in it. Anyway, he said he needs the space in the garage. The saw has never been firmly mounted since he has had it. We settled on his asking price. He told me that he would consider it sold until I can pick it up this weekend. I wanted to go get it tonight but he is still a working man and his schedule is pretty tight. So, either Friday or Saturday the saw will come to its new home. My dilemma now is which saw to get ride of. The Dewalt or the Hegner. Since the Dewalt is a similar mechanism and I have gotten used to it, I just might part with the Hegner. Or, maybe I'll keep all three and fib to my wife. Oh what to do, what to do?

Congratulations. I look forward to hearing more once though get it. Don’t fib to your wife, just gets you in trouble when you get caught 😉 and you will get caught . It’s kinda hard to hide a scrollsaw much less 3. 😉 personally, for me if I was choosing, I would get rid of the Dewalt because as you noted, it’s very similar to the Excalibur but most would consider the Excalibur to be the better saw but only you can decide that for yourself. You can tell your wife you need a little time to “decide” and then maybe she will forget. 😉🤔

Edited to add: you could put two of them on one of those flip stands you can build and flip them up and down as you choose. Saves you on space and sorts hides one from your wife. 🤨

Edited by meflick

4 minutes ago, meflick said:

Congratulations. I look forward to hearing more once though get it. Don’t fib to your wife, just gets you in trouble when you get caught 😉 and you will get caught . It’s kinda hard to hide a scrollsaw much less 3. 😉 personally, for me if I was choosing, I would get rid of the Dewalt because as you noted, it’s very similar to the Excalibur but most would consider the Excalibur to be the better saw but only you can decide that for yourself. You can tell your wife you need a little time to “decide” and then maybe she will forget. 😉🤔

Edited to add: you could put two of them on one of those flip stands you can build and flip them up and down as you choose. Saves you on space and sorts hides one from your wife. 🤨

I'm just kidding about that. I already told her that I was going to sell one but she said, I don't care what you buy. But, realistically, I don't have that much room. I sort of have a soft spot in my heart for the Dewalt because I took the time to learn all about it, and then I rebuilt it so it runs and works flawlessly. The Hegner, well, I'm still not sure about it. I am not completely sold on the "soft start" and whether or not that is the problem that I have been having with it. At some point, I either have to determine what it is all about or just opt to get rid of it. Then, I will have room in the shop for the EX. If I find that I like the EX as you all say, well then it might be time for the Dewalt to go to someone who needs a good saw. There are about 5 of them on C/L right now but the sellers are out of their minds asking more than what a new one is going for. I'll wait until the market is in my favor to sell mine. The Heg, well I feel that I can just about double my money on it at any time. I'm in at this point about $350. So, I won't take a loss on it no matter what. No rush to judgment at this point.

Ray, if you really want to know about that "soft start" call Advance Machinery.  They can probably tell you in short order if it is a problem, and if so they can tell you what it would take to fix it... may or may not be worth fixing.  Or, send it to me and I will do it for you......  Just do not put your return address on the package......😜

Edited by Scrappile

Paul, I have had emails back and forth with Wolfgang and he said that what I am experiencing may or may not be part of the soft start. He also told me to clean the speed sensor inside the motor. I did that but it wasn't dirty. So, I don't know what to think. I almost had somebody close to me to come by or let me try his saw but that hasn't transpired yet. I'm not giving up though. I truly want this saw to work. What gets me is the ridiculous price they put on the speed control board. It's nothing but a handful of electronic parts. I don't even think there is an eprom in it. I'd love to get my hands on another one to try on my saw. That's the one downfall of Hegner. Their pieces and parts are ridiculously over prices. That's the same reason I will never own a German car. They are still trying to get even with us for kicking their ass in WW 2.

Congrats to the new shop member, lol.. 

I think you’ll be very happy with the Excalibur, they are an awesome saw. 

My favorite saw in the shop is the one that works, I have used a lot of different saws from about every low end saw to the Hawk. I can find things I like about each one and things I dislike about each one. At the end of the day.. if the blade stays in and the motor turns I can make my projects I want with whatever saw is put in front of me. Some have even gave me some exercise chasing them around the shop as I use them 😂

3 hours ago, rjweb said:

Ray congratulations on the new saw, you seem to have a lot of offerings there in California with saws, I wish we had that here in Texas, they only seem to have harbor freight, some craftsman saws available on cL, I guess nobody is into scrolling down here, RJ 

Well, remember now that there are 12 million people here in So. Cal. So there are bound to be more of just about everything available. The biggest problem is the overcrowding. Hate that.