Wine box wood

savethebeer

I've started making Schwibboggen (German candle arches). I've done 3 so far in BB, getting ready early for Christmas. I've started one this morning and I'm using  wine box wood which is in 7mm. [my Daughter drank the wine]. I find this wood [whatever it is?] so soft and easy to use with one exception.

My problem is the saw dust wont clear from the cuts as I do them. I have a small paint brush in my right hand and I have to flick the line at the blade at every change of direction. I suprised myself by getting into a rythmn of using both hands as normal and every now and again flicking the piece with the brush before returning the right hand to the piece.

I have increased the saw speed to get more power into the blower which is a bit of a help. If I had more wine box wood to use I would restrict it to parts with as little pattern cutting as possible such as frames or the base.

Bob

Wayne, It feels like Balsa wood.  

Fred, the problem only occurs as I'm cutting. Its as if the dust is too heavy to be blown off the cut line so stopping every few inches to blow off the dust would not work.

I've finished the cutting tonight, got used to using the brush and I'm happy with the finish but I've no plans to use it again for detailed work.

Bob

8 minutes ago, savethebeer said:

Wayne, It feels like Balsa wood.  

Fred, the problem only occurs as I'm cutting. Its as if the dust is too heavy to be blown off the cut line so stopping every few inches to blow off the dust would not work.

I've finished the cutting tonight, got used to using the brush and I'm happy with the finish but I've no plans to use it again for detailed work.

Bob

It sounds similar to a problem I was having until folks here told me what was wrong. Too much adhesive and too small a blade for the job. I admit that I had sprayed the 3M77 pretty heavy and I also had used shelf liner. Once I started cutting some of the pieces and parts were coming off so I added packaging tape in places. Bottom line is, try a bit bigger blade so you have more kerf and check how much adhesive you are using. Once I changed my situation, things cleared up immensely. 

1 hour ago, WayneMahler said:

I have some basswood in my shop. For that project I want to try someday :) just no idea of when some day is 

When we were traveling a few years back, we were up near Bimidji, Mn. and I found a wood seller who had 160 acres of basswood trees. He was cutting them and selling the milled wood to all the carvers. I paid him $10 for a box of cutoffs that sat next to his saw. I also got some slabs with the bark still on them for free. I had a hard time carrying that box back to my truck. I've still got more basswood carving blocks than I'll ever use. Nice stuff to carve.