Making Portrait Patterns

NLAlston

I am VERY INTERESTED in learning how to make my own portrait patterns, for cutting out of plywood sheets.  I have scoured the internet for some type of clear,  instructional guide, for doing so, but have not been successful, as yet.  I just watched a guy on Youtube, though (I didn't link his video, because of not being sure it would be permitted), who was doing a great job of 'painting' in his cutouts of a portrait pattern, and wish that I could gain a handle on his operation.  His software was Corel Draw.  I don't have that particular software program, but I do own Photoshop Elements 7, as well as Photoshop CS5.  Though I've had them for a good while, I haven't integrated myself with them nearly as much as one might think.  But, that's about to change, now.

I am reasonably sure that what I have could do the same thing, as his software did for him, but he wasn't speaking on his actions - compounded by the fact that he was moving at a rapid pace.  I found him by searching Youtube for 'Scroll saw portrait Patterns" (I THINK thats what I typed in).

ANY direction, that I could be given - to do as I desire to, would be MOST appreciated.

SHOW MORE

How to convert an image to a scroll saw pattern Anthony Owens

I use Gimp and or inkscape.. I had a older verson of corel draw.. but that program has way more tools and features we wouldn't need / use for doing patterns.. I like gimp best for doing picture to pattern type patterns.. but for other stuff.. ( word art and other things I like to use inkscape ) both programs are capable of doing both.. I think it's more of what I learned from each program.. Ie I first learned portrait type patterns with gimp so naturally I like it better because I haven't taken the time to "really" learn it on inkscape.. 

There are a lot of videos right here in the forums on each program and this is where I learned to do patterns years ago.. Steve Good is where I learned corel draw.. but it's expensive software.. 

I probably could be real good at patterns... but I just cannot get any enjoyment from setting at the computer making patterns when i could just pay someone to make them and spend my time at the saw making sawdust.. so I opt to do just that... then when I need a pattern and I can't get anyone to make one I try doing it myself and I usually can't remember how to do it.. :)