Cut out & Paste

trackman

I have a Sue Mey pattern that needs names & dates placed on a curve.  It is a wedding pattern.  Is there a easy way to place the letters on the curve without learning GIMP. photo shop or other types of software?  I have been cutting out the letters and taping them to the pattern.  Didn't know if there is a better way to do it without all the computer learning that is required to do just a small thing.

I use to do that and at times still do.. I have never had very good luck with cutting the actual pattern that I taped on.. once I start cutting around the taped areas they sometimes would fall off etc.. So then I learned to tape it then scan it to the printer to do a  what I call make a hard copy LOL.. No taped copy that stays together

I pretty much use the software's available now..  Especially for text..    

I have tried those programs but didnt want to spend a year learning them when I have scissors and tape. 

What I do is cut and paste everything together manually. I then take a picture and email it to myself. 

I then open a excel and insert the image.  this way I can size it any size I want.   print it out and ready to cut.

I would be happy to do it, however;

1.  Would need to know the EXACT radius, & the total length of the letters desired & what font you want.
2.  Since it is a purchased pattern, you can't send it to me.  You could message me for an address & send a copy of that portion of the pattern.

Maybe others have a better idea.

jerry

Greetings,
I have finally learned to do this well enough to get by but, due to your post, I looked on the internet to see what easy steps can be taken to arch text as you desire.
I found a FREE download of some software called PicMonkey here:https://download.cnet.com/s/picmonkey/

and they say here are the only steps needed:

Open an image or a blank canvas in the PicMonkey editor.
Go to the Text tab (the Tt icon) on the left-hand side.
Click the Add text button, then type your text into the text box.
Click Effects on the Text palette. Click the check box next to Curved text.
Choose a shape from the drop-down list; Arc or Circle.
If you choose Arc, you can adjust the degree of arc with the Curvature slider.
To add some depth, click the check box next to Drop Shadow.

Even if that is all you ever used the program for, at least it sounds like an easy enough process for that portion of pattern design without having to learn an entire program.

God Bless! Spirithorse

With Inkscape, it is so easy a caveman could do it.  e-mail jaherold@mchsi.com for instructions.  You would need to;

1.  Download Inkscape.   https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.3/ 
2.  Have a scan of the area that you want your text.

You only need to perform a few easy steps, to accomplish what you want.

jerry

One way I've tried to accomplish this is by using Microsoft Word, and the options related to Word Art. It will take some practice and trial and error, but you can approximate the curve pretty well. Word allows you to see the dimensions along the side; use this to try an approximate the curve you need. Hope this helps.

Vin

On 8/2/2018 at 11:59 AM, jerry1939 said:

With Inkscape, it is so easy a caveman could do it.  e-mail jaherold@mchsi.com for instructions.  You would need to;

1.  Download Inkscape.   https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.3/ 
2.  Have a scan of the area that you want your text.

You only need to perform a few easy steps, to accomplish what you want.

jerry

Jerry, I have spent so many hours watching videos on both Inkscape and Gimp. I have a general understanding of how to use both but when I put a pattern in either of them to work with, it never seems to work for me. Either I have saved the scans in the wrong format or the scan wasn't right or whatever. That problem I had a while back with the basket pattern I was working on is a good example. All I wanted to do was to widen the basic outer lines a bit from say 3/16" to 1/4". I had many folks here, including Travis, trying to help me but only one person was able to do it. I still have an overwhelming desire to learn how to do this stuff. I think of myself as a pretty computer saavy guy but for some reason, I just can't seem to get it. Here is the pattern I made reference to. I just did this one and it is saved in .pdf format. So, where would I go from here if I want to enlarge the walls to 1/4"? I would truly love to know how to do it.

Here's a better scan. This one is a .jpg. I'm learning the scanner settings too.

Test 300dpi 119 threshold.pdf

Test jpg.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

So if i read that correctly, you just want to make the edge a tiny bit wider and not grow the whole piece correct?

If it were me, its pencil time. Its only a tiny bit, just print it the size you want and draw it in. Could be done with it by now instead of trying to teach yourself a whole new thing. Just me though. 

1 hour ago, crupiea said:

So if i read that correctly, you just want to make the edge a tiny bit wider and not grow the whole piece correct?

If it were me, its pencil time. Its only a tiny bit, just print it the size you want and draw it in. Could be done with it by now instead of trying to teach yourself a whole new thing. Just me though. 

Thanks but you are missing the point. I have already done this project. I WANT to learn how to use Inkscape and I thought this would be a great way to do it.