Hegner 18" scroll saw and table question

jbrowning

So I have the Hegner 15" scroll saw and table from Hegner. I normally scroll standing up and on the first day that is good. But on the second day my legs just can't do it (and this is standing on a mat). So I'm thinking what if I put a 2" brick on the back leg so the table is tilted forward and then maybe I can sit down on a stool and scroll.

Has anyone did this? I'm wondering if this would put additional pressure on the welds and cause issues.

Thanks

Jim

Jim I have an 18" Hegner but it is mounted to the stand designed for it which is the tripod stand. I do not tilt it and still sit at it with an adjustable bar stool and have no problem. I suggest that you call Hegner and get their professional opinion and maybe they have a solution. Here is my thoughts. I believe you would be better off tilting the saw between the stand and base. I see no reason why this can not be tilted. The reason I do not suggest tilting the saw while on that stand is because it is designed to take out vibration of the saw and made to sit with all 3 legs flat on a solid surface. I am assuming you have that 3 legged stand. When you raise the back leg now all 3 legs are only sitting on a small portion or edge of those legs and the vibration may transfer up to the saw more-so.  Hegners thought with those stands is that with 3 legged tripod you can balance the saw better than a 4 legged stand thus less vibration. I can be way off base here but those are my thoughts and as suggested a simple phone call to them will get you a true answer.

As opposed to Dewalts 3 legged stand that has adjustable legs so no matter the angle they still all sit flat on the ground. That is the comparison.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I don't have a Hegner.. but all my saws sit flat on the stand ( no angle ) except the DeWalt... and ... all saws give me neck / shoulder stiffness and sometimes pain except the DeWalt.. My older Hawk has adjustable feet.. and I've set the back ones higher than the front.. but cannot get enough angle to completely comfortable.. I tried adding some blocks to the back.. but that only caused bad vibration as JT mentioned.. 

Part of my problem is my stool. it's adjustable but doesn't get the right height which causes me to sit awkward hence the discomfort.. 

If tilting the saw by simply blocking up the back legs introduces vibration, then perhaps you could fabricate a platform that raises the back legs, but provides a solid surface that the saw could be fastened to and subsequently weighed down.

I tend to agree with the suggestion to try tilting the saw in the stand.  You would still need to secure the saw to the stand.  That may be more feasible.