Clock movement that chimes Navy bells

fredfret

Does anyone know if there are any clock movements that chime Navy bells. 1 ding at 1230, 2 dings at 1, 3 at 1:30 and so on until 8 bells at 4,8,12. I'm working on  a nautical clock for myself and a friend we are both retired sailors and love to confuse landlubbers with navy traditions abd terms.

Fredfret

I give up.  I thought this would be an easy one, but I could not find any other then mechanical which were several hundred dollars ea.!!!  I wonder why this is so difficult.  I would think in this day of inexpensive battery operated movement, this would be available.  There are a lot of Navy guys out there that would love such a thing.. I would like to find a movement reasonably priced to make for my retired Navy son...

It's funny - I've made a lot of "heritage" clock reproductions and have always sought out (ludicrously expensive) mechanical movements - I've had to make a couple clocks where I haven't been able to find a mechanical movement and have felt very uncomfortable putting a $10 quartz movement in a clock that has taken literally months to make - just doesn't compute ....

..... but I'm off topic ......

In addition to the typical internet searches I think I would start picking up the phone to get some advice from a range of:

- clock manufacturers

- clock repair facilities

- movement manufacturers

- navy veterans forums

- navy veterans office (get them working for you)

- navy other??

This is a neat project - sure hope you are successful - and would be really interested in knowing what you find.

Jay

Edited by RangerJay

Most of those clocks are mechanical for a reason. Tradition. The sound of a mechanical clock can not be copied with an electronic. There are some out there but those clocks were always 8 day wind up clocks and the better ones are big money. Now you can go to ebay and maybe able to get something less moneyhttp://www.ebay.com/bhp/ships-bell-clock They do make a battery operated one. May have to work around the design but not clock inserts

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/chelsea-usn-patriot-deck-clock-6-inch.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIya_GrOrU3AIVgovICh3qewqVEAYYBCABEgIuyvD_BwE

13 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Nothing expensive about it, they only want $700+ for a Cherry wooden base to put one of their $4000 clocks on!!  I would have never dreamed they would be that expensive.... Very interesting.

Try buying a Grandfather clock mechanism. It is the mechanism to make strike at different hours that makes it expensive. Unlike a grandfather clock it is a set hour and half hour or quarter hour same ring. They are not $4000 Plus they are solid brass. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN