Finishing Question

edward

Pine will turn amber over time.

I seal with Zinsser Seal Coat.  (50 - 50 with alcohol).  Slight sanding.

I then finish with Poly.  Depending on the piece I either use Minwax wipe on or the poly spray.  I like the clear statin finish versus gloss but that is a personal choice.

After 2 coats I use the artificial steel wool to remove any fuzzies.  Usually 3 coats is usually enough.

Hello Edward.

Where you have used pine, it famous for twisting & curling, etc. My personal suggestion would be to use an oil base clear coat such as Helmsman or The like. I have excellent luck with Helmsman. I use their exterior clear coat on most of my large projects. I don't use anything but hardwoods in my projects, but, my smaller projects I use Watco clear coat either in the rattLe can, or I air spray it on. Same with the Helmsman. They told their product was not made for an air sprayer. I didn't have to thin it, I used it right on out the can & shot my projects. I always use 2 coats to insure coverage, and it gives a much better look.