A Box for my Sister

John B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@John B I was wondering if there was a pattern for this box somewhere?  I really like it and was thinking about trying to make something similar.  I have found the tissue box from Winfield collection and have it on order.  But I would really rather make boxes with lids like this one with the insert for the small sections rather than tissue boxes for the gifts that I have in mind. So I thought I would ask if you had a pattern you had done or could point me to finding this one if you got it elsewhere.  Thanks for any help and insight you can provide.

@meflick G'day Melanie,

There is no pattern for the boxes I make, I tend to just cut and assemble them as I go. For example the insert cut outs I drew directly onto the insert piece for the 1st time. I altered a few dimensions until I liked what I saw and away I went.
The corners are mitred, I cut these on a Sliding compound mitre saw. The various colours of timber I edge joint and glue up prior to cutting. Once again I play it by ear as to what I think looks good.
The top is just glued and clamped in-place and sanded flush. I cut the lid of on the table saw, making sure to mark the front so that it goes back in the right direction.

Thanks John for taking the time to answer my question.  I will have hubby help me sort one out at some point.  He was the wood worker in the family before me 😉 so he has all those toys errrr tools in the shop.  I will use the band saw and the sliding compound mitre saw, but I still won't use the table saw without him to do it - even though it is a Saw Stop! 😉☺️ The problem is his day job - you know, the one he works to pay the bills and the two kids in College/Grad school 😉 it takes way too much of his time! 😜

On 10/4/2018 at 8:45 PM, meflick said:

Thanks John for taking the time to answer my question.  I will have hubby help me sort one out at some point.  He was the wood worker in the family before me 😉 so he has all those toys errrr tools in the shop.  I will use the band saw and the sliding compound mitre saw, but I still won't use the table saw without him to do it - even though it is a Saw Stop! 😉☺️ The problem is his day job - you know, the one he works to pay the bills and the two kids in College/Grad school 😉 it takes way too much of his time! 😜

Melanie, When I make my next one, I'll try and remember to take a few photo's as I go. I'll post them up, may help a little.