what's up with mineral spirits?

OCtoolguy

I just went to our local Home Depot to buy a can of mineral spirits. I bought my last can there a couple of years ago. I was astounded to be told that they no longer sell it and it might be very hard to find in California. WTH??? Have any of you other Californians run into this nonsense? Just what are we supposed to use in it's place. What are others here on SSV using in place of mineral spirits. I also asked about turpentine. They have some sell something called "turpatine". Have the nuts completely taken over this state? I know, stupid question. The simple answer is "YES".

56 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

Read the description of turpatine and it sounds like mineral spirits.  Should do the job BUT the Klean Strip website says not for sale in California.  Pardon my French but you are %$&$#.

Post deleted.

Edited by octoolguy

Huh...strange.  Sometimes I use Acetone to do the same thing.  I think Acetone is much more dangerous than mineral spirits, though.  Paint thinner is the same as mineral spirits.  I think pretty much anything used to clean brushes used in oil-based paints would work.  Goo-Off also does a good job.  All of these, I'd test on some scrap first to make sure it doesn't stain or leave a residue.

23 hours ago, octoolguy said:

That stuff would be cheaper on the street corner Jerry. Sorry.

I have never used mineral spirits.  Some time ago, I told this site that 3M 77 & 45 nozzles clog up between usage.  Was told to remove the nozzle after spraying & throw it in MS.  Looked online where I could buy it locally.  True Value came up as the closest from here.  A quart was the smallest container.  That's enough to last me 4 more lifetimes.

jerry

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

It does seem strange that we can still buy paint thinner. From what I have read it's the same thing as mineral spirits but not as well refined. I sure would love to hear the reason behind the ban on MS.

I do know MS is carcinogenic, Don't know if that's the reason?

On 8/28/2018 at 1:32 PM, octoolguy said:

Yeah, a lab rat probably drowned in it so they outlawed it.

The sun is a contributing factor to skin cancer. Next year the sun will no longer be allowed to shine in California. I can't help with the sun but maybe we can smuggle stone turpentine into the state for you. 😁👍

19 hours ago, Dan said:

The sun is a contributing factor to skin cancer. Next year the sun will no longer be allowed to shine in California. I can't help with the sun but maybe we can smuggle stone turpentine into the state for you. 😁👍

Here, it's not called turpentine anymore. It's "terpatine". Ha!