2 Day Event Recap - Missed The Mark

Iguanadon

Some say to set ambitious goals, which I did, with a goal of selling 200 puzzles at my 2 day mega event.  Last year I sold 93 the first day in 9 hours and 60 the second day in 4 1/2 hours for a total of 153.  The first day last year I wasn't able to set up the way I like to and so this year I rented a double booth so I could maximize my setup and therefore my sales... or so I thought, but it turned out to not be as much of a factor as I expected.  This weekend I sold 88 and 48 for a total of 136.  Absolutely no complaints, still my best event of the year and a great event overall which I'll do every single year along with over 300 other vendors.

Perfect weather, huge crowds and great folks to chat with and still going home with a pocketful of cash.  In future years I'll continue to rent a double booth, I simply hate having to set up in such a way that people have to come "inside", generally speaking, people prefer to come up to the perimeter of my tent and see everything around 3 sides.

Still in Raleigh today (Monday) as my wife is leaving her job of 20 years and they insisted on throwing her a luncheon today so we'll attend that and then head back to the coast.  At which point I have to start cutting as I have a new 1 day big event coming up Saturday at a nearby beach town.  Should be a great show as well.  I did plan accordingly and am taking vacation this week from the day job to make lots of sawdust.  And squeezing in a couple rounds of golf this week also.  😉

Photos showing booth and the 316 duplicate puzzles I had with me wrapped and ready to go.  Only ran out of Elephants as I had a run on them that I didn't expect.

Iggy

IMG_20180825_075410.jpg

IMG_20180825_075345.jpg

IMG_20180825_075256.jpg

IMG_20180825_065757.jpg

Thought of you this weekend.  As a former 20 year Cary resident I know that Lazy Days is normally the hottest weekend of the entire summer.  This year you really lucked out weather wise.  Sorry you did not hit your goal.  Maybe next year. On the bright side you have a good inventory which allows for the rounds of golf. 

1 hour ago, NC Scroller said:

Thought of you this weekend.  As a former 20 year Cary resident I know that Lazy Days is normally the hottest weekend of the entire summer.  This year you really lucked out weather wise.  Sorry you did not hit your goal.  Maybe next year. On the bright side you have a good inventory which allows for the rounds of golf. 

Yep, exactly, we got really lucky with the weather, it was beautiful and Saturday was only about 83 degrees.  However I was in full sun and on an asphalt parking lot so it was still a bit toasty.  I was discussing with Mrs. Iggy yesterday that I sure wish Lazy Daze was in October... cooler weather and able to push the "Christmas is closer than you think..." sales pitch.  😉  But 42 years of the event always being the last Saturday in August means a change is highly unlikely.

Maybe better luck with the sales next year.. retail is a funny and most times unpredictable.. I always wondered about those shows that was a flop and those folks say they'll never do that one again.. how does one know that the show wasn't a bust just for that particular year? Yeah promotion and advertising is something all shows should do.. and IMO so should the vendors.. they all have to start from the bottom too.. and the vendors are the ones that make the show a show..

I don't do shows.. so my understanding of this is very limited.. I just feel like if the vendors all pull together along with the show organizers.. to help bring in the crowds any event could be a decent one or a bad one.. timing is also a factor.. you wouldn't want to have a small event in the same town as a very large event on the same day.. LOL   

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Maybe better luck with the sales next year.. retail is a funny and most times unpredictable.. I always wondered about those shows that was a flop and those folks say they'll never do that one again.. how does one know that the show wasn't a bust just for that particular year? Yeah promotion and advertising is something all shows should do.. and IMO so should the vendors.. they all have to start from the bottom too.. and the vendors are the ones that make the show a show..

I don't do shows.. so my understanding of this is very limited.. I just feel like if the vendors all pull together along with the show organizers.. to help bring in the crowds any event could be a decent one or a bad one.. timing is also a factor.. you wouldn't want to have a small event in the same town as a very large event on the same day.. LOL   

With me I give a show 3 strikes. Bad for 3 straight years it is off the list and onto something else. Shows run their course as do items we make. Sometimes it is a matter of changing hands of running it and it does not get the promotion it once did. Others it just a change because the committee does not do enough to add new vendors or change things up and it gets stale. When doing shows, vendors and promoters rely on each other for success.

21 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Iggy,

Nice looking set-up. Glad you had fun and made some dough. Was thinking of you this weekend.

bb

And I was thinking about you as I had a chance to stroll the entire venue and saw your empty space.  Glad you weren't there, otherwise I wouldn't have sold a single puzzle!!!  😉

24 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

And I was thinking about you as I had a chance to stroll the entire venue and saw your empty space.  Glad you weren't there, otherwise I wouldn't have sold a single puzzle!!!  😉

Are you telling me that there was indeed an empty space where I was originally assigned?

And you asked to be placed there!

bb

9 hours ago, orangeman said:

Are you telling me that there was indeed an empty space where I was originally assigned?

And you asked to be placed there!

bb

There were a handful of empty spaces.  I won't swear to yours being empty.  And I got to thinking about it that since the booklets had been printed and booth locations listed on the website, etc, I'm guessing they simply don't want to shift people around after a certain time.