Y no eBay?

Brianr24

Iv never really been interested in selling any of my stuff.for the time put into a project and the price it would sell for ( imo) I would probably make about two bucks an hour lol. But I just enjoy making stuff. With that said I got projects piling up all over and my wife is not interested in any of it. I give some to family and friends but I hesitate cuz  I don’t like to push on people who may feel obligated to take something they’re really not into anything and then feel as tho they have to display when I’m coming over lol.

anyway I never sold anything on eBay but that’s my knee jerk reaction to go if I were to sell. I’m not interested in doing craft shows but I’m wondering why it seems no one here really sells on eBay i here Etsy more than anything. From what I know about Etsy it’s a store I’m just doing this for relaxing not sure I want to run a store.

But I guess that’s the point of my post. I really don’t have any knowledge or experience with either. I would appreciate any input from u guys. Thx.

Kevin would probably be a good source of info for this question because he uses various platforms to sell his projects and is quite successful at it. There are some good threads in the business forum here that touch on selling at different venues that you might want to check out also. But will say this there is no half way thing if you are thinking of selling. If you want to do this legit you need tax id numbers and record keeping and whole lot other legistic paper work as well as inventory. To sell a few items on FB is possible  Good luck.

I found that the minute I started selling my handmade items (jewelry) it became a job with hard work involved with listing, displays, taxes, etc. I have done both Ebay and still have a Etsy shop..  They both take a lot of time and sometimes cost more than what you sell.

When I retired (again) from that and took up the hobby of scrolling, I decided not to sell anything.  Well family and friends have enough "dust collectors" so I not enjoy making items for charity ( especially Toys for Tots).  I can take my time, do what I want, and not keep hundreds of things under the table.  JUST A THOUGHT.

Edited by Dee

There are free places, like Craigslist, Offerup and I think facebook has some avenues for selling not sure, I do not do facebook.  But at least you may sell some, and you are not investing any money.

I will add, I tried Craigslist and got what I expected,,, nothing.  But the type of scrolling I do is very hard to sell in my area.  I do pictures and they do not fit the decor of most homes.  But other things, like the ornaments, puzzles, toys, etc. might do okay.

eBay could be an outlet to sell a few things.. I sell on there from time to time as I get 100 free listings or $5000 in inventory listed every month...  The problem I personally have with eBay is

1) eBay is expensive to sell on.. Plan on about 19% of your money handed out to them after it's all said and done.. with listing fees, FVF's, Payment Fees etc etc..

2) people go to eBay to find a bargain.. They have flee market standards, LOL .. which in your case of just trying to move products and not so worried about profits.. might be okay for you.. 

Etsy takes out 5% of your sale.. in fees and I think 2.5% on payment processing.. still about 10% total because of listing fees etc.. 

People go to etsy more to find unique and handmade items.. while there are a few that get away with reselling China made stuff.. but with eBay there is no rules for resellers or handmade.. doesn't matter.. hence the flee market pricing competition.. LOL

If you're only looking to move product that is piling up.. I'd suggest charities as Dee mentioned.. There is always a charity or goodwill that would love to take your items..

As JT said.. there is no half way selling... and doing it through an online venue could bite you.. The term of a business is to sell goods with intent to make a profit.. so even selling on eBay or whatever platform.. could get you if you make a profit.. and even if you don't make a profit.. be a good idea to keep track of spending etc so if they come looking for their tax money you have proof of non profit.. 

To sell to make a little profit low key and stay under the radar.. I'd suggest craigslist, facebook, and offerup etc type places...

I do think there are thresholds where you can sell on ebay and other places as long as you stay under a certain amount of money.. they probably wouldn't bother a person selling 20-30 low priced items a year... as they are really after those that are making decent profits and they want their cut of those profits.. Legally your supposed to claim ANY and all income..   

Edited by kmmcrafts

Thank you guys for your input I’m second guessing thoughts on selling anything maybe I will change my mind but I think I will just let them pile up and give away to people who definitely want.

As far as cherities go ....careful you will strike a nerve with me lol. Most are scams and taking advantage of good people who think they’re donations are going to a good cause. I do donate on a monthly to st Jude’s tho. But most I make it a point not to donate. I’ll stop there before I get wound up lol. I also plan on a few military themed projects I will donate to local vfw. But most what I like is wildlife maybe I’ll to to fish and wildlife warden I know maybe he knows where can display maybe for kids programs or something.

Thx for your knowledge guys I appreciate it!

Edited by Brianr24