My Dewalt 788 appears to have died.

NLAlston

It's only a few months that I have had my Dewalt 788, and it was bought brand spanking new.  About 45 minutes ago I ventured into my shop, to do a portrait cutout, and my saw wouldn't turn on.  I insured that power to the outlet was still good, and tried a few more times.  No go - it just wouldn't turn on.  Then, I remembered that this saw had a fuse, and I just knew that the matter would involve a blown fuse.  So I removed the fuse, examined it, and was disheartened to find that it didn't seem to be the fuse.  There was no black ring, anywhere on its glass body - nor anything which would suggest a fault.  Now, I don't know if a fuse could be bad without giving visual indication of such a condition.  I'll pick some up, tomorrow, as it would be wise to keep some on hand.  But I have a feeling that there is something, else, going on with my saw.  

Wow, what a BUMMER.

I, also, just did a bit of researching to see if any others had suffered the same dilemma.  Some others had, and mentioned that their situations had been cleared by either replacing a bad fuse, or by blowing out the power switch area, taping it up and using a foot switch.  I've already found that the former was not the problem, and will try the latter, tomorrow.  I have a Foredom carver, which came with a foot switch, and I'm in hopes that this - along with blowing the dust out - will do the trick.  I'll post back.

Yes, I also been there done that with my DeWalt.. why they never put a dust cover over the switch is beyond me.. other than cost cutting.. LOL

Before I got the foot switch.. I took a old latex glove and cut it up to make a cover for my switch and taped it on.. never an issue after doing that.. I might suggest if blowing the switch out gets it working.. do something similar and you should be good to go.. then it might save you from having the switch short out and burn up.. and then needing a new one..

24 minutes ago, dgman said:

Without a doubt, it’s the switch. If you are a handy guy, you can fix it yourself as I have many, many times.  Let me know, and I will tell you how to do it.

Yes, PLEASE enlighten me.

Last night, I put the power switch in the 'On" position, and blew dust out of it with the only forced-air device that I had - which is a battery operated leaf blower.  But, that effort changed nothing.  So, it MUST be a malfunctioned switch.  I am a little confused, though.  I haven't been on my scroll saw nearly as much as most of you, and have only owned it for just a couple of months.  One would think that this kind of thing should NOT have happened so SOON.  

However, once this situation has been surmounted, I will be SURE to heed the advice, given here, by all.  I look forward to your instruction.  And, advanced thanks.

Well, I am now back in business.  It seems that tapping  the side of the switch housing  with a hammer, and block of wood, did the trick.  I had forgot to mention that I had lost that 'Click' , when toggling the switch off and on.  But that sound, and feel is back, now, and everything seems to be fine.  Before usage, though, I AM going to cover that switch, and marry my saw to the foot-switch that I have.

I thank everyone who tried to help me.