Question about my two Hawks.

jbrowning

So on the first Hawk I bough about a month ago you can see the tension rod and spring.

20180901_140903.thumb.jpg.bebf9b994dc45d2ff4ab3a530aed2e97.jpg

But on the one I just picked up last Sunday you don't see the tension rod and spring. Of course they are there, they just aren't behind that arm like the other one is.

20180901_140913.thumb.jpg.64246e1c33c903b8a2f514a0fc2d9a7f.jpg

Any idea why this is? Is there an adjust that can be made to make them the same length or is there a reason why they are different?

The throat still measures 26" on both machines. The back of the arm to the front of the angle adjuster (I'm calling it) are both 34.25"

They are the same models 226VS Ultra

Thank you everyone in advance.

Jim

Edited by jbrowning

Mr. J,

the difference in design of the top arm of the saws. Look closely at your pictures. And there is no need to adjust the tension of the spring. It's designed at that length. Your tension adjustment is at the back of the saw. If that wedge begins to get rounded, or is "digging" into the inset in the top arm, your saw will begin lose blade tension. 
All that spring does is keep the top arm "afloat" so to speak, unless you use the arm lock at the nose of the top arm. 

At some point Hawk redesigned the arms on their saws to give them more strength.. it is mentioned in one of their videos on their web site.. I'm guessing this might be what you are seeing with these two saws.. Do the arms look the same? If I remember right one style of their arms had hollowed out holes through them to lighten them up.. and the other style they did like an I beam down to lighten it up.. and give it more strength..

If you go to the Hawk web site they have a couple of videos on setting up the saw.. they also talk about some of the upgrades they have done over the years etc.. I thought they had three or four videos that gave more history on the older saws.. but maybe that was a dream, LOL.. as now they primarily talk about the difference between the Ultra saw and the new BM series saws... 

I think each video is around 20 minutes but there can be a lot to learn from these if you have interest in some of the things they've done to improve the saws etc.. For the videos you'll have to scroll down a little ways.. 

http://www.bushtonmanufacturing.com/WebsitePages/The-Hawk-Scroll-Saw.html

Jim what is the model number and serial number of each saw??  Which saw is which( indicate this. )I believe the saw with the tension arm extend out the back is the newer model because of ease to change tension. They probably had complaints of chubby fingers not being able to get at the rod. All saws today are outside the back braces. There were many versions but the the ultra was before the G4 and that was before the BM series. But I believe there was a series called the pro series before the ultra. 

I have the model in the second picture where the tension rod is not sticking out past  the framing and I believe I bought mine in 93 or 94. I got one of the first saws where they went to the square blocks for clamps in stead of the barrels. So whatever year that was. The arms on both those saws are the same except for length. They changed the arm somewhat by reducing weight. maybe on the one where the tension rod is behind the frame the bottom of the top arm is hollowed out more than the other one to make up for the extra weight. You should be able to feel that.  The G4 is where they started the I  beam frame on those arms and carried over and improved on the BM series. The clearance on both saws should be the same. Measure center of blade to back of frame. As far as making the arms the same forget it. tension them the same way. All calculations were incorporated when made. As I said I have not touched that tension rod in years. The only time is when I switch to jewlers blades because they are so brittle and need less tension. 

If you want to know year of saw call RBI and ask them. They will know with serial number. If you do let us know what they say. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

1 hour ago, jbrowning said:

I'm just curious why one of the saws the tension rod and spring is more visible than on the other one?

Nothing very important. Just curious.

As I said I believe it was a design change due to making it easier to get at that rod. You could call them and talk with them or I believe they have a place for questions on the site.

http://www.bushtonmanufacturing.com/WebsitePages/Contact-Us.html

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN