CNC Projects.. Can Be Scrolled As Well

kmmcrafts

Many times with looking for designs I will search for CNC laser etc plans.. Ran across this etsy seller that has some really cool designs that might interest someone here so I thought I'd share... I like the Harley lamp design..  But anyway.. check some of these designs out.. I'd like to try a few of them but.. wrong time of year right now for me to "play " as I need to get ready for the holiday shoppers..

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ProjectsForCnc/items

40 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I don't understand what you get.  Is it plans you print out and can actually scroll or is it program to run your CNC.  How does this newfangled stuff works.  The do have some neat stuff there.  Please explain to this old goat. 

Hey Paul, I took a look at the Etsy shop in question that Kevin posted the link to.  The "items" for sale there are all "digital" files.  Which means you are getting and downloading a file.  You need to look at any file you are interested in and see what file format he is providing it in and make sure that you have a software program that will open that format because they all do not offer the same format(s).  Some say they provide the CDR file, some say they provide the .dxf file, some say other formats.  Some say they are a zipped file which have a mix of different formats in them like the CDR, a .dxf and maybe an AI file.  These are just the few that I quickly looked at.  I did not look at all of them to see what all formats he may be providing depending on the file. 

A CDR file is a Corel Draw file.  CDR is a proprietary format to Coral Draw so you would need Corel Draw to open the file.  If you don't have it, then you may not be able to use the file unless the owner of the file and Etsy shop is willing to convert it into a format that users who don't have Corel Draw can use. Which means, if the file only contains the CDR file, you would need to reach out to the Etsy shop owner and see if he can convert it to another useable format for you. (Easily done.)  A .dxf file is a "Drawing eXchange Format" file that is usually created in an AutoCad type program. Again, a scroller is probably going to need to have the file converted into another format for them to easily use.  An AI file, is going to be a file created with Adobe Illustrator. Again, like a CDR file, it is going to be a proprietary file format for AI and unless you own AI, you would need to file converted to open in another program.  All of these file formats can easily be converted in Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, or other programs that may be used to create them.  You, as the purchaser, would just need to know what format you wanted or needed and see if the seller is willing to convert to that format.  A universal format that can be saved to is a .svg file.  A .svg file can be opened by most programs and would be a good format for the seller to use with all of his files.  .svg stands for "Scalable Vector Graphic".  It allows you to scale a file up or down without distorting an image like occurs with a bitmap image for example.  It is also the default format that the free program, Inkscape, will save to.  He could also provide it as a Vector PDF file.

Forgot to add, when talking about using the files with a CNC machine, you have to have the file and open it in the software you use with your CNC cutter. You have to go in and tell that software what to do with each line or part of an image, whether it is being cut out completely, whether it is being carved, what depth, etc., Once you have done that, you then have to export those "directions" out in a format that your cutter understands in order to create the actual physical item.  This can take a while.  The benefit it has is that once you have all that done and saved, you can then more easily recreate the item.

That is just basic, general information that I hope explains generally what you wanted to know Paul.

Edited by meflick

Melanie's explanation is great, I guess I was typing as she was posting.  I have added a bit more to that.

In a nut shell, a typical way is you get a pattern that is in a .DXF format (it is a universal drawing file data transfer format like .JPG is for pictures) 

Most of the patterns we buy are just  a drawing, that drawing has no coordinate or dimensional information.  As an example a wooden gear clock pattern published in a SSWWC magazine. the pattern is printed in a 1:1 scale but has no real information. The original was designed in a CAD program like Autocad  using specific points, arcs and circles with precise coordinates for start and end points (X,Y coordinates) that is the information needed by the CNC machine. The Autocad design software or any like it allow you to save this data and transfer it in the .

The DXF file has all of the dimensional information that will be imported into the drawing program of choice being used to run the  the CNC router or laser. Easel being one of the free programs, it comes with the Xcarve machine. If you want 3D routing it gets more complicated and you usually have purchase a higher end program. 

The drawing program like Easel allows you to put in information like cutter diameter, material thickness, start points etc. It then converts it to the machine language that will control your router. Typically G-code  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code  this tells the router where to go, raise/lower turn on the router or laser etc. 

There is software especially in the laser cutter world that automatically converts an image into a file that the laser can use. You see these Kiosks at the malls that take a photo and etch it into wood fro you.

As a scroll saw user you are converting the images in your head and moving the material in the proper directions to follow the lines.

Bottom line is,  you need to be computer savvy and a bit of a mechanical junkie. 

Edited by Rolf

Thanks guys,  not going to say I understand it all,,, but I at least know enough to know not to buy one of the patterns unless it has been converted to a format I can print and use, like .pdf, .jpg. Then if it is a scene, or portrait type I would have to figure out the bridges and such also, right?

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Thanks guys,  not going to say I understand it all,,, but I at least know enough to know not to buy one of the patterns unless it has been converted to a format I can print and use, like .pdf, .jpg. Then if it is a scene, or portrait type I would have to figure out the bridges and such also, right?

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Yeah that's right... most of my car clocks I make started out as a DXF file for CNC machines.. I use a lot of these patterns because 1) I'm not good enough to design my own pattern from scratch.. and finding designers to take on some of my things I like to cut is far and few between... I like to make the clocks and ornaments.. not so much for portraits.. which is what I find mostly in the scroll saw pattern world.. So I buy the CNC designs and I've downloaded a DXF file viewer where I can ( long work around but) turn it into a SVG or whatever file I like.. then I can go to inkscape and create the design as I see fit.. adding the spot for the clock and most times.. adding text at the bottom.. Usually the text is telling what the car is.. 

For what it's worth... most all the CNC artist will create a file type for you.. I started asking them if they'd make them PDF or SVG and explain that I don't need all the fancy stuff since I cut by hand.. Most of them are happy to make a few extra $$ to change it up for you.. They are many times in awe that my things are created by hand too.. which many times create conversation and a new friend. I tell a lot of them that they need to look into doing scroll saw type drawings as we are always looking for new designs etc..

Now.. speaking of CNC lasers... I've been toying the idea of buying one just to play with for the last 3-4 years... almost bit the bullet a few times but then back out.. I enjoy doing my work by hand.. I have heard a scroll saw can stack cut items ( for production ) faster than the CNC laser could cut.. while the laser might cut 1 faster than you can with a scroll saw.. but the advantage is.. you can stack 4-6 at once.. laser has to do just 1 at a time.. I don't know how true that is..... One advantage with a laser is.. you can get several machines running at once.. though as do not have to be right there doing one machine at a time.. though you wouldn't want to leave one unattended too long as they can catch fire etc..          

I thought it'd be neat to do wood burning photos. etc.. I seen a guy at a craft fair last year that did woodburning.. then he took the burning and cut jigsaw puzzles from them with his scroll saw.. was hard to tell they was puzzles because he followed the lines etc of the burning pictures.. I also would use it more for engraving and burning rather than cutting.. i don't like the burnt looking edges they leave behind..

Can engrave many different materials.. so I think one would be fun to toy around with..