German pyramid what to use for pivot point

zimmerstutzen

I have about 3/4 of the parts assembled to make a German Christmas Pyramid from scratch.  For those who are unfamiliar, it is a small carousel powered when the heat from a candle rises through a windmill like turbine.   Part scroll work and part lathe turned.  I have some small snowmen, carolers and even a salvation army kettle and bell ringer. (not painted yet)   I am puzzled about what to use for the base of the rod/axle to spin on or in.    The only instruction I have seen calls for a part of a clothing snap, which I did not follow anyway.   I thought about using an acorn nut turned upside down/  or perhaps an Allen screw socket.  I have both 1/8 inch steel and 1/8 inch hardened brass rod to use.  I can polish the end on my lathe. The only thing I have not tackled yet is the vanes for the turbine and candle holders..  I have 1/8 inch baltic birch plywood for the vanes, but I was hoping for something thinner.

I talking the a snap that holds clothing shut.  The bottom part that you push the snap into or the snap itself if it has a hole like the picture shows. The two pieces on the left of the picture could be used. screw one of them in place and let the rod ride on the top of the scew heat or even a small nail would work.  I have pattern of two of these pyramid things that I want to build but I haven't really studied the patterns to determine what they recommend but this snap is a good idea if you are using a rod that will fit.  I am very anxious to see how yours turns out.

il_fullxfull.381725991_qahi.jpg

Not sure about your pivot point, but I was in a model railroad store the other day and saw that they had basswood in thin sheets. I think they had some in 3/32" or 1/16" thicknesses. That might work well for the blades on the fan.

Or -- if you have a table saw or know someone with a table saw, have them rip some 1'16" thick strips from some pine or other matching wood for your project.

I stopped at our new Hobby Lobby today.  Got some 3/32 bass wood.  Every thing else is bass, except the poplar base and the two hubs.  Picked up some wood glue and a glue gun too. The place is like Michaels and Harbor Freight.  always running percent off coupons on line.      Found a how to on line that mentioned using a finishing nail and acorn nut for the bottom pivot point.Although it did not say which way was up.  

Edited by zimmerstutzen

I would say the rounded part of the acorn nut would go be the bearing surface.  When I was making whirligigs, I used small steel ball bearings for the pivot.  I also used glass marbles.  These are upside down from what you are doing, but the principal is the same.  A little spot of grease on the pivot also makes a lot of difference.

Hello Perry.

The above answers were done from my phone which is why I could not place a full answer because I can't copy and paste from my phone. The following is taken from the following site; https://www.christkindl-markt.com/pyramid-info-i-9.html

What if my Pyramid isn't turning?

First: Make sure the center rod is sitting centered on the glass cup (bearing). Many times it looks like it is sitting centered, but it may be off centered between the glass cup and the wood around it, making turning difficult.

rodcentered2.jpg

Using a flashlight, inspect under the lowest floor, look to see that the rod is indeed centered on the glass bearing.

inspect-bearing.jpg

Second: Check the angle of the fan blades, they need to be at 30 degrees. So start out with the blades level to the floor, then turn them up to 30 degrees. Many times the blades are set to 60 degrees not 30 degrees and at that angle they may not turn the pyramid.

Third: Drafty Room: An "open layout" or large room will have air moving in it. Even though it doesn't feel drafty to you, it may be. Realize that the heat from the candles gets dispersed easily if room air movement is present. If your pyramid is not turning due to drafts, then you can move the pyramid to a corner of the room or you can add an additional candles - this means placing a tealight candle (one that is a glass container) near the pyramid to help give more heat. add-tealight.jpg

Directions for Use and Assembly of Pyramids

1. Carefully unpack pyramid and accessories.

2. Gently lift the central pyramid rod a small amount, and remove the cardboard under the bottom floor. Then carefully place the rod (axle) on the glass bearing which is under the bottom floor.

3. Place the paddlewheel assembly on the top point of the pyramid rod (axle).

For multiple level pyramids:

Do steps 1 & 2 - then:

4. Put together the paddlewheel (put paddles at about a 30 degree angle) and place finished piece on the point of the pyramid axle.

5. Insert candleholders into the holes in the base made for that purpose.

** Put NO pressure on the rod while it is sitting on the glass bearing! **

Safety Tips

Use only pyramid candles (not too tall!).

The pyramid must stand firmly on a level horizontal surface and be protected from any drafts in order to function properly.

Never leave the pyramid burning unattended especially around young children!

Should the glass bearing become scratched or cracked , it is usually possible to replace it. See our parts dept for a replacement

Do not burn candles in the mini pyramids (under 6-7 inches in height). They are there for decorative purposes only.

On 9/6/2018 at 3:51 AM, hineps said:

This thread caught my interest. Now can anyone direct me to a place to get plans/patterns for German Pyramids? Looks like something the wife would like.

Phil

This is a place in the US that distributes them and where I purchased mine from:

http://woodyoubelieveshop.blogspot.com/p/patterns-on-cd.html

and these are ones sold that were designed by a past member.  I think a family member is handling the selling of them:  No pyramids here but there are Schwibbogens.

http://schwibbogenbyhelmut.weebly.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Edited by Scrappile