Types of Scrolling?

MuNcHiEzz

To start things off I have a question right off the bat... What are the major types of projects you can do with a scroll saw?

As for myself, the first thing that got my attention and made me want to become a scroller is intarsia. I think it's absolutely beautiful and there is so much you can do. I have also heard of fretwork. But I would like to know what other kind of projects you can do with a scroll saw.

Toys and puzzles are great things and compound cutting. 

If you are new to the saw start with something easier.  The puzzles by Judy Peterson are great and kids love them.  Intarsia can be difficult and you need good cutting skills.

You will also make scrap like the rest of us when things do not work out.  

When you say types of scrolling there in my eye is no such thing. There are different projects that can be made and you named one. But basically the scrollsaw can cut wood metal plastics like other tools such as a tablesaw, jigsaw, bandsaw and so forth. What makes a scrollsaw unique is the way it can do these things and the one thing that jumps out above all is the ability to do fret work where you thread a small thin blade in a hole anywhere on a work piece and continue to cut. It cuts the tighest curves ever. So if the project you are working on require these things then a scrollsaw is the tool or a hand fret saw. So to me the question is what type projects can be made using a scrollsaw.

4 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

When you say types of scrolling there in my eye is no such thing. There are different projects that can be made and you named one. But basically the scrollsaw can cut wood metal plastics like other tools such as a tablesaw, jigsaw, bandsaw and so forth. What makes a scrollsaw unique is the way it can do these things and the one thing that jumps out above all is the ability to do fret work where you thread a small thin blade in a hole anywhere on a work piece and continue to cut. It cuts the tighest curves ever. So if the project you are working on require these things then a scrollsaw is the tool or a hand fret saw. So to me the question is what type projects can be made using a scrollsaw.

I wasn't aware you could cut metal and other stuff. That opens up my mind to a whole other world now. Thank you for that information. Would you be able to do stainless steel kind of stuff? I guess it's all about finding the right blade

Check out coin cutting if cutting metal winds your crank. Too much for my old eyes but for some, it's a real satisfying hobby. Intarsia was what grabbed me too but I don't want anything that requires a lot of sanding or dust. It requires another whole set of tools besides sandpaper. I have found a bunch of things that I want to scroll. My biggest drawback is the cost of wood. That has become a major factor when trying to fit them into the budget.

3 hours ago, MuNcHiEzz said:

I wasn't aware you could cut metal and other stuff. That opens up my mind to a whole other world now. Thank you for that information. Would you be able to do stainless steel kind of stuff? I guess it's all about finding the right blade

Absolutely you can cut plastics such as records as someone mentioned. There are those that do a frost look in plastic with the same patterns. just sand the project with sandpaper.

Metals also. Non Ferrous metals to be clear. Not stainless or at least I never tried. 

Here is a cross I have done and all the brass was cut on the scrollsaw and I used Jewelers blades. I actually cut a quarter in half ( heads one side and tails other ) using my scrollsaw and that material is who knows what along with silver. 

Copy of IMGP0549.JPG

"My biggest drawback is the cost of wood"  I found a lumber recycler locally here that mainly caters to those looking for old barn wood type stuff.  However he has a ton of scrollable pieces as well and USUALLY pretty cheap.  I have a planer and after searching for hidden nails and screws I smooth it out to workable pieces.  Russ

1 minute ago, Chiloquinruss said:

"My biggest drawback is the cost of wood"  I found a lumber recycler locally here that mainly caters to those looking for old barn wood type stuff.  However he has a ton of scrollable pieces as well and USUALLY pretty cheap.  I have a planer and after searching for hidden nails and screws I smooth it out to workable pieces.  Russ

Russ, you are living where there are many trees, mills, etc. Down where I live, we aren't allowed to water so everything is dying. I will try to locate someone who does as you suggest. I put out a request on Facebook a couple of years ago for any cabinet shops that might have scraps. I got so much bogus help that I wished I had never asked. And, I got no wood. I can see why so many of you folks use 1/8" BB as it seems to be the cheapest to buy. The stuff that I'm into right now requires more solid wood. I'm pretty much of a cheapskate ever since we retired and have to live on a fixed income of sorts. No pension here.

In my area (southern Oregon) there USED TO BE tons of mills with a variety of wood species.  However they are mostly gone.  The local recycle lumber guy takes down old structures and salvages what he can from the structures.  Sometimes its just old siding material but then again it just might be some interior hardwood kitchen type pieces.  Its always an adventure and kinda fun too! 😁 Russ

I was given some 1/4" underlay used under flooring. I was given a couple of half sheets and the finish is just like the BB I buy from Woodcraft. It does have a knot here and there which adds character and the other side is printed with a lot of very shirt little green stripes. I am nearly out of it and will have to see if I can find the stuff in HD or Lowes, 30"X30" BB at Woodcraft is a bit over $30. I have to scrounge.