Back to my saw Thursday?

Iguanadon

Still stuck in South Carolina as all roads leading to Wilmington have been flooded or destroyed.  Started hearing some success stories of folks getting home from the direction we'd be coming from and then today the main highway route opened up, so we're going to pack up and head home tomorrow.  Hopefully, if the roads don't re-flood overnight tonight.  Amazing the devastation in the area.  Our island held up pretty well overall considering the eye came directly over the town shortly after making landfall a few miles to the north.  One hotel was destroyed and a coffee shop is pretty much a goner.  Plenty of other minor damage, but those 2 seemed to be the worst.

Our house and our rental properties all held up, so that's good.  Only my garage is the remaining question mark.  It took on 6 inches of water, so I have to see what got ruined, if the drywall dried out, etc.  I look forward to seeing it for myself tomorrow.

Here are a couple of images of our town... and one of our house as the water came just shy of entering...

Fayetteville Ave - Florence.jpg

Lake Park 1 - Florence.jpg

Lake Park South - Florence.jpg

received_248723849179628.jpeg

2018-09-14_0853.png

Edited by Iguanadon

Sir prayers will continue for you, your family, and neighbors, We were fortunate in this area but very concerned until it passed. Our Aunts evacuated from Myrtle beach, 5 sisters ages 72 to 93 . They were not going to leave but family talked them into going to kids to in SC. they are all back home and getting settled in again. We have friends with relatives in the Wilmington area and they had a time of it. iggy good to here your update. Hope you get back in soon.  

Update:

We heard of successful journey's home along the shortest route form where we were and were able to get home yesterday (Thursday) at noon.  Confirmed, the house was fine, no flooding.  The garage is pretty much a mess.  Been working on it since yesterday.  Will have to cut away the bottom 2 feet of drywall (Saturday).  Been pulling out boxes and other stuff.  My saw survived, only my foot pedal/switch got ruined but I had a spare on hand.  I won't be cutting for a while, too much other stuff to do and the day job really needs me back in the groove.

I did lose 75 puzzles, I'll have little funerals for them soon.  😉  The bottom row of baskets on my racks weren't high enough, the water was 8 1/2 inches deep in the garage.

All in all, I will not complain.  Several businesses and homes totally destroyed by the winds and water and new flooding is taking place cutting off folks from being able to get back home.

IMG_20180920_141946.jpg

IMG_20180920_140846.jpg

Glad you made it home safely Scott and, for the most part, you had little damage to contend with - if you only lost 75 puzzles and one foot pedal an only had 8 1/2 inches of water in the garage and none in the house then I would say you definitely dodged the bullet with the wrath of Florence.  Good to hear - make sure you take those losses off on your taxes!  Prayers continue for all of our friends and folks who's had to deal with Florence and her aftermath.

Glad you was able to get back to a home.. I'm actually surprised you don't have at least half you shingles gone with the wind they say these storms have.. 

The loss of 75 puzzles stinks but in the whole scheme of things.. it's very minor of what could have been.. so you can count your blessings on that one.. 

Yeah you'll be able to write them off on your taxes.. maybe on your business insurance? Mine covers my inventory and equipment etc.. as well besides the liability stuff that I got it for originally, LOL

Anyway.. glad you came out as good as you did.. and hope you'll have things running back to normal very soon..